Which Megatouch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-15-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of getting a Megatouch for the gameroom but have a couple questions. First which machine do you feel is the best value for the buck? Secondly does anyone know of a list or table that lists all the various models and comapres them or at least the order of best to worst? The only thing close to this that I found was a document on the Merit site about upgrade paths but it's not very good at showing the different models. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 AM

I don't own a Megatouch but I do own 2 different touchscreens. One is from a company called Uwink and has a LCD touchscreen similar to the new Merit Megatouch ELO models, etc. I also have a CRT based touchscreen from a company called JVL (www.jvl-ent.com). I recommend a LCD version but I like the JVL more because it has the iTouch 8+ software on it which has 100+ games compared to the 50+ games on the Uwink. Net Net, the Merit versions are nice (and the next purchase I would make) but I would get the LCD + a later version of software (Merit Force 2006 or later) that has 130 games or something like that. You could pick up a JVL Eclipse for aroound $2,600 which is the LCD JVL version and I think that compares to around $3,000+ for a similar Merit Megatouch. Merit seems to bring a little more of a premium due to it being the most sold brand. You could look at a older version though on eBay for around $1,500. Anything much less than that and I don't know if you will be as happy.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Well this is going to sit on a stand next to my slots and not on the bar so size isn't a big issue. I just don't think the premium you pay to get the LCD version is worth it right now. I was probably looking to get something in the MAXX range. I'm just not sure how all of the machines compare. On a side note. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of taking the guts out of this level machine and putting them in a smaller case out of site with a wire running to a third party LCD touch screen? I wonder if it's even possible.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-16-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone make Merit type games that can be run from an XP computer with a touchscreen? I've seen a few, but they are very basic and there were only a few games with each.

I don't really like talking about my flair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Does anyone make Merit type games that can be run from an XP computer with a touchscreen? I've seen a few, but they are very basic and there were only a few games with each.

I looked at that idea also and found some but you just lose the refinement of the interface and not all of them are touch screen friendly.

Can anyone that has a megatouch tell me what kind of interface goes from the motherboard to the monitor? Is it just a normal monitor and serial interface?
post #6 of 13 Old 01-29-2007, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1der View Post

Well this is going to sit on a stand next to my slots and not on the bar so size isn't a big issue. I just don't think the premium you pay to get the LCD version is worth it right now. I was probably looking to get something in the MAXX range. I'm just not sure how all of the machines compare. On a side note. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of taking the guts out of this level machine and putting them in a smaller case out of site with a wire running to a third party LCD touch screen? I wonder if it's even possible.

Just anf FYI. I found someone on Ebay who is selling megatouches where he did exactly what I was saying. He relocated the insides into a pc case and is just using a LCD touchscreen for the display.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Thinking of getting a Megatouch for the gameroom but have a couple questions. First which machine do you feel is the best value for the buck? Secondly does anyone know of a list or table that lists all the various models and comapres them or at least the order of best to worst? The only thing close to this that I found was a document on the Merit site about upgrade paths but it's not very good at showing the different models. Thanks.

This link lists and has screenshots and descriptions for each model of Megatouch starting with the early XL models through the current Force models.

http://www.meritind.com/Service%20Ce...scriptions.pdf

I recently sold my Midway Touch Master 7000 which was ROM based and not upgradable for $350 on Craigslist. I bought a Megatouch Maxx (hard drive based) Ruby touch game locally from eBay for $400.

Here's the deal with upgrades. For $20 I could buy a Ruby 2 hard drive off eBay and install it in my Jade game for an easy upgrade and wouldn't need a new security key. If I want to upgrade to a Jade, Saphire or Crown edition, then I would need a hard drive AND security key for that model. A security key is not needed when upgrading within the same model (Jade to a Jade 2).

The Maxx cannot be easily upgraded to the Force models though. There are only a few games added to each upgrade (Ruby to Ruby 2, etc). But I plan to jump from my Ruby to at least a Saphire when I find a good deal. Right now I'm very happy with the Ruby games because they're all new to me and it's a big step up from a Touch Master.

FYI - Upgrade the memory in the Megatouch (most come with 32MB) by adding older PC100 memory. I had a spare 128MB PC100 module and it made a huge difference in the speed and smoothness of the animation. I especially noticed the high scores animations were sluggish before and now they are smooth as silk.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm looking for a jade key or a crown - let me know... I'm on Ruby 2 currently
post #9 of 13 Old 02-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Liked: 12
Sorry to drag up an older thread but after looking for a Megatouch for a while I searching for info I came across this page that has been a great resource for me so I thought I would pass it on:

http://www.davemanut.com/info.htm
post #10 of 13 Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:

On a side note. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of taking the guts out of this level machine and putting them in a smaller case out of site with a wire running to a third party LCD touch screen? I wonder if it's even possible.

You had an interesting idea so I did ask this question to a guy on eBay that sells a lot of Megatouch stuff. Basically I told him I wanted to know if you could make a poorman's version of the new machine by taking a Maxx, hiding it under a bar or behind a wall and running an LCD to the mainboard connectors, he said it was possible but it would have to be a touchscreen that the software supported.

Mike
post #11 of 13 Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartenhagen View Post

You had an interesting idea so I did ask this question to a guy on eBay that sells a lot of Megatouch stuff. Basically I told him I wanted to know if you could make a poorman's version of the new machine by taking a Maxx, hiding it under a bar or behind a wall and running an LCD to the mainboard connectors, he said it was possible but it would have to be a touchscreen that the software supported.

Mike

I actually saw someone on Ebay selling exactly that. I did take the LCD touchpanel that I use for my jukebox and hooked it up and it did work. Just never got around to doing the whole thing.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I actually saw someone on Ebay selling exactly that. I did take the LCD touchpanel that I use for my jukebox and hooked it up and it did work. Just never got around to doing the whole thing.

Very cool, looking at the parts inside the machine there really aren't that many if you are not concerned with taking money or using the OEM monitor. Just a couple of boards and a power supply.

Mike
post #13 of 13 Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

It's basically a PC with a special security key
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page