Table top beer dispenser/taps. You have one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 07-22-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have experience with those table top beer dispenser/taps? They typically take the 5 liter kegs, but many take 4, 5, 6 liter kegs. They have a cooler built in.

I don't want or have the space for a full size keg in my bar. But I thought one of these would be fun during parties or just having a few extra people over.

Here is the one I have been looking at....but there are several out there including a nice looking Avanti.

http://www.wunderbarcooler.com/language/EN/thermo.php

The cheapest one I have seen is less then $100 and looks like they go up to $300 or so, with just under $200 being the average I guess.

Do you have one? Do you like it? Can you find a variety of beers for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Anyone have experience with those table top beer dispenser/taps? They typically take the 5 liter kegs, but many take 4, 5, 6 liter kegs. They have a cooler built in.

I don't want or have the space for a full size keg in my bar. But I thought one of these would be fun during parties or just having a few extra people over.

Here is the one I have been looking at....but there are several out there including a nice looking Avanti.

The cheapest one I have seen is less then $100 and looks like they go up to $300 or so, with just under $200 being the average I guess.

I haven't ever used one but I think you would be disapointed in how quickly you went through the beer. Five liters is just a little more than a gallon. If I did the math correctly you are looking at about 10 pints per keg. If you have 6 people over everyone can't even have a second beer. Do you have room in a fridge for a 5 gallon keg? They hold a little over 2 cases of beer and aren't that big. You can get a lot of beers in the 5 gallon kegs and if you have any micro brews close they probably have some. Take a look at my kegerator (link below), I have 4; 5 gallon kegs, my are old soda kegs because I make my own beer but the one that commercial beers come in are very similar.

http://www.blackcows.com/bcb/

Mike
post #3 of 29 Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Sdall - I've been thinking about getting the one at JCPenny (there's a thread here on it) just as novelty and for fun. It's priced around $60 if I remember correctly. The good thing about it is that you can store 2-3 of the mini-kegs in your fridge and just pop them into the dispenser and the pelltier cooling system will keep the keg from warming up too fast. Once you're through the keg (I think I estimated it at around 14 12oz beers), you just swap in another one. Sounds nifty for the price.
post #4 of 29 Old 07-29-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You make a great point. One problem I have is I travel a lot for work. So I would hate to load up a key and have it go bad before use. That is why the table top one seems like it might work for me. And it would not be my only source of beer. I have a beverage center that hold 3 cases or so of bottles. This table top draft system would be a supplement.

I'm just wonder how easy they are to clean and how many varieties of beer are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartenhagen View Post

I haven't ever used one but I think you would be disapointed in how quickly you went through the beer. Five liters is just a little more than a gallon. If I did the math correctly you are looking at about 10 pints per keg. If you have 6 people over everyone can't even have a second beer. Do you have room in a fridge for a 5 gallon keg? They hold a little over 2 cases of beer and aren't that big. You can get a lot of beers in the 5 gallon kegs and if you have any micro brews close they probably have some. Take a look at my kegerator (link below), I have 4; 5 gallon kegs, my are old soda kegs because I make my own beer but the one that commercial beers come in are very similar.

http://www.blackcows.com/bcb/

Mike

post #5 of 29 Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 AM

intriguing, but I need user opinions to see how people like these
post #6 of 29 Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is also one I found I'm thinking of.

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?...cat=418&page=1
post #7 of 29 Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I see kegerators in craigslist all the time for ~250. Seems like a lot for a 5l tabletop version. I also don't know where to get the 5L beers. Otherwise I'd be willing to give this a go myself.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 PM

I don't know how much room you have, but I have kegerator in my house. It's on wheels and can be moved elsewhere when not in use. The CO2 keeps the beer fresh for a long time and you can hook up various size kegs to it.

post #9 of 29 Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

sdall - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the one at JCPenny. It's the same as these:

http://www.nextag.com/Nostalgia-Elec...74/prices-html

http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Elec.../dp/B000L9R422

It was marked at $75 (down from $100+), but rang up for only $59. It has the thermal cooling (very quiet but not great at cooling - which is why you put the 5L keg in the fridge first) and seems to be of decent quality. It's mostly plastic but has an aluminum drip tray that's removable and washable.

My local beer & wine store only had four varieties of 5L kegs available though (Warsteiner, Spaten, & Heiniken - can't remember the 4th). I've inquired about what might be available as special order.

Haven't tried it out, will check back in once I do.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

sdall - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the one at JCPenny. It's the same as these:

http://www.nextag.com/Nostalgia-Elec...74/prices-html

http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Elec.../dp/B000L9R422

It was marked at $75 (down from $100+), but rang up for only $59. It has the thermal cooling (very quiet but not great at cooling - which is why you put the 5L keg in the fridge first) and seems to be of decent quality. It's mostly plastic but has an aluminum drip tray that's removable and washable.

My local beer & wine store only had four varieties of 5L kegs available though (Warsteiner, Spaten, & Heiniken - can't remember the 4th). I've inquired about what might be available as special order.

Haven't tried it out, will check back in once I do.

Awesome! Please do post back. There are a couple of local brewery/restaurants that sell the 5l "kegs" so that is what peaked my interest in all of this.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=tidalwdave]I don't know how much room you have, but I have kegerator in my house. It's on wheels and can be moved elsewhere when not in use. The CO2 keeps the beer fresh for a long time and you can hook up various size kegs to it.

I have a dedicated bar in my house, and I could find the room. I just don't really want to. And by that I mean, I'd have to put it out from behind my bar, which is kind of a pain as I like to serve people. But I have a popcorn maker sitting behind on my bar. I'm thinking of getting the cart for the popocorn maker, moving it out, and that would free up room for one of these smaller units directly above my frig.

I don't know...will see.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome! Please do post back. There are a couple of local brewery/restaurants that sell the 5l "kegs" so that is what peaked my interest in all of this.

Will be testing it out this weekend at a party we're having. We're having a regular keg, but this will be sort of a side novelty.

The only problem I have with it so far is the height. It's pretty tall, as the 5L keg sits above the tap area. So if you put it on the counter or the bar itself, it really towers over you. I think it would work well on a back counter, with the wall behind it. That's not the way my bar is set up though, so I'm trying to figure out where the best place is to keep it.

I thought another decent use for it is tailgating. As long as the keg was well chilled beforehand (in a cooler on ice), I'd imagine the little Pelltier cooling system would maintain the temp fairly well in the short time until the keg was spent. It's so light and portable, it'd be easy to throw in the car with you.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

How many people does it take to go through 5 liters of beer?

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #14 of 29 Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoplex View Post

How many people does it take to go through 5 liters of beer?

It is a little more than a gallon or about 10 pint glasses of beer.

Mike
post #15 of 29 Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
That's my Saturday quota!

Bud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out a video of my  

post #16 of 29 Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

5L is equal to 1.33 gallons. I think if I remember my math correctly, that's about 14 12oz beers.

Hey guys - I tried it out this weekend with some Warsteiner and it worked great! We had too many people for this to be the main keg obviously, but it was a very nice supplement to the Mich Light Keg and Misc Wine that we were also serving. Kept the beer nice and cold until the end.

I'm going to try it with one of those Heineken kegs next. The tap is different on those, but I think it will work.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 PM

I bought the avanti one a few weeks ago. Heiniken lite is great. I hate Heiniken overall, but the lite beer is excellent. Remember Heiniken has a built in CO2 so you don't need your own.

I tried Becks as well and that was great also. Coors light only comes out every now and again during football season.

I have not tried the Warsteiner yet, but I have it in my fridge.

Cleaning mine isn't hard at all. Directions just say to run hot water through the lines after each keg is done. Takes 3 minutes or less.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-24-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

nydennis - Which Avanti one? I don't think I remember seeing that one.

Share some pics!
post #19 of 29 Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 PM

This is the one that I got. If you look at most of the different brands. I do notice the tap looks the same on all. Just the design of the unit. I wanted the keg to be on the side instead of a deeper unit. So far no problems with it.

I find myself enjoying beer more with this. I can take what I want. Small glass, pint glass, etc and not worry about having to throw away a bottle if I wasn't in the mood for a full one.

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-25-2007, 05:34 AM

i understand what is going on here, but for that amount of beer why don't you guys just get a 12 pack? I suppose you don't have to return bottles and whatnot, but you slug em down and that's it

edit: I guess I'm kind of missing the point. Home theatres and bars deserve these types of gizmos and plus I've never used one so I can't really speak on it
post #21 of 29 Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM

I don't have a huge fridge. Putting a 12 pack or a case of beer in the fridge sucks up space. (Side by Side.) The beer always ended up behind a lot of stuff making it a hassle to get one out.

Sometimes beer like Heiniken get skunky in bottles. I found the taste of the Heiniken to be so much better out of keg then I have ever had in the bottle.

Also I may get myself back into home brewing in the future and I can keg my beer into a few 5l kegs then having several cases of bottles lying around.

post #22 of 29 Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Well, I must have jinx myself. Lastnight mine broke. The beer would not stop pouring out of the tap. Turned off the co2 and it still came out.

So took it back to the store today and was only looking for an exchange on it, but the manager of the store told me that this model was recalled. So I got my money back.

At this point I may try a different brand, or the most likely is I'm going to get a larger unit, like a marvel, summit or something.

post #23 of 29 Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM

I'm building a HT/Game Room/Bar and found a bunch of good information at these sites with respect to setting up a draft beer system:

http://www.bar-gear.com/index.htm

http://www.bar-gear.com/draftbeer.htm

Bar-gear.com has plans for bar construction and a DIY kegerator, as well as suppliers for the things you might need to complete a tap in your bar.

This is one of the suppliers:

http://www.kegworks.com/draft-beer-e...63?source=blog

Hope it's helpful.

Keep up the good work! We're all counting on you!

Dan

post #24 of 29 Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 PM

I was going to go the do it yourself route, but decided I couldn't be bothered. I ended up ordering a Marvel HK61 today. The store had the price wrong in there computer, so I ended up saving over 600 dollars on it.

I'm excited to get this. Mic light from a keg tastes great, I cannot wait to have it again. MMmmm beer.

post #25 of 29 Old 09-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Well not to change the subject, but, I recently acquired 3 pop/soda fountains. 2 post mix and 1 premix. Well im sitting staring at these in my den while i work on the theater and it hits me, the fountain heads on the premix machine look alot like beer tappers with pepsi stickers on them. So after buying a keg of MGD ( $45 for a 1/4 barrel) a shankey tapper ($35) and misc hoses and fittings and cleaners at the local home brew shop($50) and a replacement co2 thank ($140) I am sitting here enjoying a 38 degree MGD from a tapper that sits on a counter and has room for 4 more beer types as long as i can hide the kegs.

On a side note, a few companies do make the 5 gal upright cans, Goose Island is one and i eagerly await the release of there oktober fest.

Jester 2
post #26 of 29 Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester 2 View Post

I am sitting here enjoying a 38 degree MGD

EWWW... MGD... I almost feel sorry for you if you are drinking that

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #27 of 29 Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 PM

Well it is my current everyday no nonsense drink, I did say I was looking forward to the Goose Island Oktoberfest. LOL , and I still have 3 open taps after that is in... the choices are limitless.

Jester2
post #28 of 29 Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 AM

Jester,

I was suprised to read your post about using a post mix soda machine for beer. We have been having some discusion here:

http://http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=47709

I make my own beer and have always thought this would be a good idea but couldn't find anyone that had tried it. Corny kegs (the 5 gallons kegs used with your system) are very common in the homebrew world because they are inexpensive, about $25.00 on eBay, and much easier than putting beer in bottles. I have a kegerator and have 3 beers on tap and also root beer but would also like the option of having a few more available of occasion (like a party) so I thought this would be a good idea.

Here are some pictures of my kegs in use:

http://http://www.blackcows.com/bcb/

If you live close to any brewpubs most will sell you beer in kegs. I live near Omaha and have 4 or 5 options for 5 gallon kegs. You also can take a 15.5 gallon keg and transfer the 15 gallons into 3 5 gallon corny kegs if you need space around your machine.

A few questions for you, what pressure are you running your taps? Beer is usually carbonated at 10 to 12 psi so if you are running much different than that you may have problems. Also are you getting foam or a good pour? Finally how about some pictures?

Mike
post #29 of 29 Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM

mbartenhagen

Its a pre mix machine not post mix

Sorry for the Delay but work gets in the way of drinking. To answer your questions I run about 18-20 psi of CO2.. I haven’t had any problems except previously busted internal lines (the ones that run thru the water to chill the beer/soda) seems I had bad foamy beer and you could watch the clear supply line just foam and foam. Well having ZERO experience with tappers, kegs, and soda fountains, I had not a clue till I checked on the ice dam in the machine, only to find frothy foam on the water in the reservoir. So after finding a line that didn’t leak I have some of the best MGD I have ever had ( and I’ve had a lot) I thought I had a problem again cuz the beer came out slow and flat and silly me it was the end of the 1/4 barrel. Seems you invite a few ppl over to try out the new toy and low and behold the beers gone

My surprise is I didn’t find anything about using pre-mix machines on the web. There has to be a ton of these machines on the market. The great thing about them is that you don’t need to refrigerate the kegs.....and with 5 tappers who could keep the kegs cold. I mean it would take up my whole theater! Lol ! So I’ll try and post some pics with this if not tonight then this weekend for sure. If you have any technical or other questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Jester 2

ok here is a link to the pics if you want more or something specific let me know ( especially if this doesn't work)

http://picasaweb.google.com/RockRidgeTheater/Theater
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page