Can I take my computers wireless connection and output it w/ a DSL Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-21-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 360 and of course it has no wireless reciever. So I was wondering if there was someway I could take my computers wireless connection and feed it to the 360 by way of a DSL cable going from my laptops DSL port to the xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It might be. I'm assuming that when you say 'computer' that you mean your laptop, and you only have this laptop, correct? And that you're connecting wirelessly somewhere with your laptop, correct?

If this is the case, then you could try this--
1. Connect the 360 to your laptop with a crossover ethernet cable (it must be a crossover cable, not a regular ethernet cable) via the ethernet ports on your laptop and 360 (what you call the DSL ports).
2. Enable internet sharing on the laptop.

I can't help you with any other settings, as they're specific to the OS on your laptop and I've never had the occasion to use internet sharing on a computer.

-Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 AM

I'm a bit confused by your terminology, but yes, you can connect a Cat-5 cable between your laptop and the 360 via the ethernet ports on each. If you do not have a network switch, you would need to get/make a cross-over cable.

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

From what you are writing, I think you want to use your laptop's wireless connection (it would be helpful to know what kind of wireless internet you are using, BTW), and share that connection with the XboX to allow the XboX to be able to connect to the internet?

Is that correct?

If so, you will either need to enable the internet sharing software on the PC, or get a program like winproxy and install it on the PC to allow the XboX to be able to use the PC's internet connection.

This is something that is not easy to setup, and can open up your laptop to being exposed directly to the internet.

But anyways, please enlighten us on exactly what you are trying to do. Are you trying to connect the XboX to the internet? Are you trying to get files off the PC to the XboX?

As to connecting the xBoX directly to a laptop, many laptops have the ability to connect directly to another computer, and will reverse the transmit and receive pins. So in some cases, a seperate hub/switch is not needed.

Reedl

Check out my theater!

Here is the Arcade:
post #5 of 7 Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

So do you think those "crossover" cables are needed. Or can I safely bet that most laptops can "convert" using regular ethernet cables?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This link is for the PS3 (20GB non-WiFi)... I think this is what you are looking for.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...hread.id=10274

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/118/62/

Works on mine.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrosoxide View Post

So do you think those "crossover" cables are needed. Or can I safely bet that most laptops can "convert" using regular ethernet cables?

Depends on your laptop. No laptop that I've owned could auto-sense. My wife's Gateway does (as does my gigabit switch).

Check your documentation (or manufacturer's web site). If you're still unsure, the best bet is to get a crossover cable.

-Joe

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page