AVS Forum banner

Air hockey table suggestions?

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  IrmoGamecoq 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting one for the kids for Christmas - our basement surely has the room for it. What are some good choices, say 6-7 foot; $250-$500?

#3 ·
I spent more than your budget at a decent "Rec Center" type of store (i.e. not Walmart/Sears), but the quality is not at the level of the ones you see in bars. You'd need to spend upwards of double your budget to get to that, unless you went used.

Ours has done well, but it's been pounded on by adults pretty regularly.

One thing that helps is to keep a nice coat of wax on the surface. Leave your fans on (to keep the holes from clogging) and apply Pledge liberally. This both protects the playing surface and makes it even more "slick."

#5 ·
The Sams table looks to have plastic side rails, but it is hard to tell from the pic. If you can go to a store and see it, then you can get a "feel" for the build quality.

Mine are aluminum.

There seems to be a big step in price from a solid home table to a low end "commercial" table.

#8 ·
I bought one at costco about 3 years ago... it didn't see very regular use until a year ago, but it's held up well. It's a ~7' table, and has metal sides. I think it was under $300.

Pics:

#10 ·
Thanks!

I hope you find a air-hockey table you like. I haven't seen one at Costco recently that had the black surface... but the builds seemed similar.

#11 ·
I have a 7' table that is right in your price range. However, the only real "playable" puck is the triangle one that came with it. The round puck gets too much air and flies off the table way to easily. I tried to weigh it down, but it slows it A LOT! It was a present around 5 years ago and I've had a lot of fun with it. There are definitely better tables in the same price range these days so I can't recommend it. I was also going to try a larger diameter puck, but never got around to it.

The top is wood, what wax would you recommend trying to speed up the table?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.