Anyone own a Jukebox? Need recomendations... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I have one bare wall left in my rec-room, game-room, party room, man-cave...

I already have a fireplace, huge wet bar, poker table, pinball machine, Multicade (70 in 1 Cocktail Table), Plasma TV (42") with surround Sound and a Wii.

The one wall has limited options. I say a "Jukebox" at Target for $500 (2/3 scale, 1 CD only) and thought about it.

I decided instead to get a full sized one. Those are more then I expected. But, the new models have 100 CD changers and ipod docks.. These things look increadible and I want one more to finish the look of the room, but also because I think I will use it a lot more then digging out CD every thime I want to listen to something.

The 2 main high end brands are Wurlitzer and Rock-ola. Here are some pics...

Wurlitzer 1015 Bubbler in Walnut

Rock-Ola Bubbler Jukebox

Main difference that I can read about is that the Wurlitzer has the CD mechanism visible (like the old 45's), but only has room for 60 CD list cards (so you need to combine them) whereas Rock-Ola has room for 100.

Overall, they look the same to me, but Rock-Ola has a few other, more "Vintage" styles (late 30's/early 40's, instead of the 50's style. These have more wood details instead of chrome...look a little more like antique furniture, and may look better in my rec-room. Price is a few hundred more...)

Rock-Ola "Gazelle"

Rock-Ola "Peacock"

They also have "branded" jukeboxes, but I don't think I want to go that way. The light show is less impressive, and they cost $1000-$2000 more then the standard Jukebox...

Rock-Ola "Jack Daniels"

Rock-Ola "Harley Davidson"

For the sake of completeness, here's the $12000 Wurlitzer "Peacock" (I feel, the ugliest Jukebox pictured).

So, anyone own one of these? What were your thoughts? Does it get used? Do they last? Sound Quality acceptable for the price? Do the bubble tubes and lighting effects burn out after 2 months?

BTW, I am leaning towards the Rock-Ola Gazelle or Peacock.

Opinions please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-13-2007, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
I don't own one, I use a Sonos for my music, but if it were me I would certainly have to consider one of the touchscreen models. Not as vintage as others but much more room for expansion.

http://www.htmarket.com/ronomuceju.html

Mike
post #3 of 8 Old 12-17-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartenhagen View Post

I don't own one, I use a Sonos for my music, but if it were me I would certainly have to consider one of the touchscreen models. Not as vintage as others but much more room for expansion.

http://www.htmarket.com/ronomuceju.html

Mike

Of some interest...A good friend has a Wurlitzer Bubbler, but got bored of the "limited" selection of music so he "converted" it with a Sonos system and has the best of both worlds...great looks and classic Jukebox sound, but with limitless music selection

Cappy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capstone View Post

Of some interest...A good friend has a Wurlitzer Bubbler, but got bored of the "limited" selection of music so he "converted" it with a Sonos system and has the best of both worlds...great looks and classic Jukebox sound, but with limitless music selection

Cappy

I like the idea of the touchscreen, but it just seems wrong to put it in a vintage jukebox.

Both systems allow you to hook up an i-dad docking station (the Rockola dock is almost invisible) and allows you significant expandability...
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2009, 02:16 PM

I own a Chicago Gaming Company Digital Bubbler 1015 and very much like it.

It is a good quality reproduction of the Wurlitzer Bubbler 1015 but is all electronic.

The base operation uses your music CDs ripped to its internal hard drive.

I've recently figured out how to load all of your MP3s (etc.) onto the jukebox from your PC on the network.

Details on the "Hack the Digital Bubbler 1015" page (to be posted later when I can post URLs)...

With this last bit of functionality, I'd say its a very good option.

I got mine from Amazon.com because it was a good $1000 less ($4 grand).

Excellent audio, very good craftsmanship, 300+ pounds of beast.

(I own the woodgrain model and it is very attractive. It is solidly built, uses laminates and plastic "chrome" but is standing up very well.)

Ed
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM

The step-by-step instructions on how to configure your Digital Bubbler 1015 for network loading are on:

http://www.fotep.com/hack_digital_bubbler.shtml

And the product page for the Bubbler:

Chicago Gaming Company's Digital Bubbler 1015

----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTEP View Post

I own a Chicago Gaming Company Digital Bubbler 1015 and very much like it.

It is a good quality reproduction of the Wurlitzer Bubbler 1015 but is all electronic.

The base operation uses your music CDs ripped to its internal hard drive.

I've recently figured out how to load all of your MP3s (etc.) onto the jukebox from your PC on the network.

Details on the "Hack the Digital Bubbler 1015" page (to be posted later when I can post URLs)...

With this last bit of functionality, I'd say its a very good option.

I got mine from Amazon.com because it was a good $1000 less ($4 grand).

Excellent audio, very good craftsmanship, 300+ pounds of beast.

Do a search on Amazon.com for Digital Bubbler 1015 and look for the $3995 listing.

This is my impartial opinion, I am not the seller and I don't get credit for referring purchases.

(I own the woodgrain model and it is very attractive. It is solidly built, uses laminates and plastic "chrome" but is standing up very well.)

Ed

post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

How much diversity in music are you realistically going to need?

You can find commercial CD jukes all over for $500 or less as most operators have gone to touch screen.

Everybody is different. In our house (and minds and preferences) we want everything to be commercial and coin op quality both for authenticity and "feel" of the room and for the rugged construction and reliability of genuine coin op made stuff. Like a cheap wall hanging electronic dart game compared to a standup coin op dart machine or a cheap pressed/fake wood or plastic foosball table versus a coin op Tournament Tornado table (our Tornado made in early 80s and still looks and plays like new)

Then there is virtual versus "real" like you can have real pinball or you can play pretend pinball on your computer or even that failed attempt of a game called UltraPinball but only a real ball rolling across a real playfield is playing pinballk and I guess we feel the same about music machines.

Anywho, we have thought of buying a CD juke several times over the years and prices are lower than ever and will remain that way until operator inventories are gone.

If I want MP3 or "thousands and thousands" of song titles I'd just pipe music from some digital device through a stereo but a CD Juke can hold 100 CDs that can deliver over 2400 NOT COMPRESSED titles and, to us, while playing pinball or foos or darts that is more than enough music for us and guests to enjoy and it's a "real" juke instead of a facade on a cabinet that does something else.

I would look for a CD juke - but just MHO.
Happy and Happy Christmas!!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Well said, and a nice review.

My personal hesitation was regarding CD mechanisms; I regularly have to replace the CD-ROM drive in my computer and duplicator is all.

FYI, the Digital Bubbler stores in FLAC format which is lossless.

Certainly $500 is better the 4 grand. And at that price, I could just replace it a couple of times and still be way ahead.

I am curious as to where you're finding jukeboxes for that low a price, I've been seeing them for $8,000 and more (which is why I got the Bubbler).
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page