Sears Extreme Home Arcade Thoughts/Opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finished my HT in late September and I have moved onto obsessing and decorating it - re-living my youth.

I saw this Arcade cabinet in Sears circular last weekend
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=arcade
and I have been considering a purchase all week. I have done what research I could online and downloaded the instruction manual from the manufacturer Chicago Gaming Co. I wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with this model and had any insight. Will I be able to add on games like others have done with similar cabinets? Basically looking for some validation before I spend $1300

Thanks for any input you can offer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunc View Post

So I finished my HT in late September and I have moved onto obsessing and decorating it - re-living my youth.

I saw this Arcade cabinet in Sears circular last weekend
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=arcade
and I have been considering a purchase all week. I have done what research I could online and downloaded the instruction manual from the manufacturer Chicago Gaming Co. I wanted to see if anyone here was familiar with this model and had any insight. Will I be able to add on games like others have done with similar cabinets? Basically looking for some validation before I spend $1300

Thanks for any input you can offer

I saw this as well. I havent had a chance to get down to sears to see if they have one, but I am curious as well. I think I could live with that price if it is decent
edit: just looked at it online. Some real low resolution games preloaded on there. Breakout? These are almost like atari games.
post #3 of 48 Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

I saw this as well. I havent had a chance to get down to sears to see if they have one, but I am curious as well. I think I could live with that price if it is decent

I called the 3 Sears local to me and none carry it in the store.
I can order for pick-up within 3-5 days to save on delivery but none of the stores stock it. My biggest concern is if I will be able to add more games to it. I'm going to call the manufacturer to inquire..
post #4 of 48 Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 PM

I dunno, $1300 for those 50 games. A number of the better games on there (imo) don't even work all that well with a joystick - arknoid, centepede, millipede, tempest, missile command, etc.

Even if you can add more games or were planning on gutting it and turning it into a mame machine, having only 2 buttons is very limiting. If you can't add more games, well - I guess at least the cabinet kinda looks cool sitting in your rec room, sort of.

Imho, I'd stay away.
post #5 of 48 Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

My Sears had one, but it was a non-working demo shell. THere was no display or machine inside of it. Only a print out of a screen shot from a game and an empty cabinet. The joystick was there as well as the buttons.

Over all the unit was short in height. The thing looks like it's designed for children or adults under 5'5" tall. Being 5' 10", I'm like a giant against it.

You can get plans to build a custom cabinet and put a PC inide it and it'll still cost you about hte same, but it totally expandable, upgradeable, and serviceable.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #6 of 48 Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
It shouldn't cost you $1300 to build a good Mame-based arcade cabinet. A very low-end PC, an arcade control deck, a cheap CRT, A couple sheets of good quality plywood, a jigsaw and a router.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 48 Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Liked: 32
That looks awsome!!! Has all my classic favorites...I guarantee you cannot load more games onto it but with 50 choices already...who cares??? Tempest is one of my altime favorites...if not thee favorite...for me...I wish I had 1300 and a place to put it and I would have it here for Christmas...

Quote:

These are almost like atari games.

They are Atari games...
post #8 of 48 Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico View Post

It shouldn't cost you $1300 to build a good Mame-based arcade cabinet. A very low-end PC, an arcade control deck, a cheap CRT, A couple sheets of good quality plywood, a jigsaw and a router.

Really?

I have access to lots of two year old PC's. CRTs and woodworking tools.

Now I just need the knowledge and skill to use them. Hmm

Time to do some research I think
post #9 of 48 Old 12-16-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Guys thank you one and all for the opinions.
My wife and I went to Sears to look at it in person on Friday night - it is a little small like rgroves said. My wife fell in love with adding this gem to our HT basement which is getting more crowded by the minute so a smaller arcade unit is not a bad thing in this case. Sears had a 6 month payment deal w/ no added interest or finance charges as long as you pay in full within 6 mos. So for $1300 I snagged one and we will be picking it up this week.

Now after reading the responses about making your own I fear this will be be the start of a new hobby/addiction. I have access to a router and I have a jigsaw, heck I even have an HP PC I'm not using since we're always on our MAC for work. Can you guys recommend where I should begin if I wanted to try & build my own full-size machine? Sounds like a good winter project to me...
post #10 of 48 Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 AM

My 2 cents.

You can build better for less. If you have the skills, tools and time.

I'm 0 for 3 in that department. So I bought a system for a little over $2000. It was a cocktail table (my choice since I had a bit of room behing the sectional, but no wall space-stand up units are easier to find). It can be played vertically or horizontally (controls on 3 sides).

Games include PacMan, Ms PacMan, Donkey Kong, DK Jr, Space Invaders, Galaga, Galaxian, Zaxxon, 1942, 1943, Time Pilot, Gyruss, Frogger, Millipede (ugghhh...no trackball though...ggggrrr....) on the verticle side. It has Joust, Robotron, Moon Patrol, Mario Brothers, Stargate, Defender on the Horizontal side.

It will be upgradable when new boards are released.

These are Jamma Boards-not MAME. So, no computer to boot up. They play like the real game...turn it on, select your game, and play.

If you want MAME, there are a ton of options. If you want Jamma, there are a ton of options.

The biggest problem I see with this system is that these are all 2nd and 3rd tier games. I saw no point in getting this if Ms PacMan, DK, and Galaga weren't on it.

If you want to make it yourself, a 60-in-1 board can be had for under $250. Just need to be able to hook it together with other stuff...
post #11 of 48 Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM

They have a demo model in our Sears. My wife and I are not large people by any stretch of the imagination. However, it was extremely crowded for us to use both 1 and 2 player controls at the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 48 Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Was at Costco today and they had this one:

http://*******.com/2epu5h

A little more money (price in the store was $2100)

Was nice 5 buttons a side, roller ball and a lot more games. I could see buying one of these if you weren't a do it your selfer.
post #13 of 48 Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Stay away from the one at Sears. If you already have it, see if you can return it. There are far better options for less money out there. You just need to do some research:
BYOAC
http://www.arcadecab.com
There are even some places where you can get varying degrees of cabinets pre-built:
arcadedepot
Too many addictions out there. I am looking to add to my recently finished HT/game room. Already have a Centipede/partial MAME cabinet, Valley Arctic Wind air hockey table. Looking to get a popcorn machine, cocktail mame cabinet, tornado foosball....
post #14 of 48 Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm with the poster who mentioned using MAME software and a PC and cabinet but you have to be a bit handy with tools or - maybe even better - have a friend who is handy who can be charmed into doing most of the work.

First I would try to find an arcade route provider. Many of these companies have older cabinents in storage that can be bought relatively inexpensively.

Once you have the full size wooden cabinent you can frame in a flat screen monitor and if you can't wire into original controls extend PC game controllers to the player area.

MAME sofware causes the PC to emulate which ever game architecture you want and then can run all of the games written for that "shell" or game emulator.

This way your game room can have hundreds of games playing via an emulator that perfectly re-creates your old arcade favorites. Why limit yourself to a few games in a cheap bundled product when you can use a pc that can emulate game systems and play most every game?
post #15 of 48 Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM

I just finished building my MAME machine this week. I'll post the info later on, but by using an older computer system, buying a 22" monitor off Craigslist, buying a premade control panel, I was able to build one for less than $500 and it looks/works damn good.

Before you plunk down a bunch of cash, if you have any carpentry skills or know someone who does who wants a fun project to work on (my dad helped me with this one), it's worth it to build your own.

Roger
------------------------------------------
post #16 of 48 Old 01-25-2008, 05:15 PM

By all means...I would really be interested in what you did and how you did it...Any pictures???
post #17 of 48 Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

By all means...I would really be interested in what you did and how you did it...Any pictures???

Here's how it looks now. I still have to create a bezel to go around the monitor to hide the inside of the cabinet from view, but that's purely cosmetic. It's a fully functioning MAME cab without it.

I'll post the build details on my website in the next couple weeks, with pictures and plans.

Full shot

Close up of monitor/speakers/marquee

What may offend some purists, the speakers are actually mounted on the outside of the cab to allow for volume control.

I made the marquee in Photoshop.

Roger
------------------------------------------
post #18 of 48 Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 AM

WOW!!! That looks pretty damn sharp!!! I look forward to your build details with much anticipation!!!
post #19 of 48 Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 PM

If you want a nice arcade cabinet with classic games on it but are not handy to build something there are sites that sell some really nice ones. I have a Multi-Williams I built the cabinet myself using the parts from arcadeshop dot com

If you are not handy and want something turn key you can buy one for 1700. not cheap but it is an arcade board that will allow you to add more games as they become availble(started with 8 but is now at 14).

I figure I built mine for around 1000 all said and done, still pricey but it was a fun project and is tough enough to take abuse a real arcade cabinet would and plays 14 games for now.

Just an option. and yes i know the site looks kinda 1997 but the guy at arcadeshop was good to deal with and i would buy from then again in the future.
post #20 of 48 Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
more like 1996

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #21 of 48 Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

still on the sears website, price now 599. Considering at that price
post #22 of 48 Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
At the new price, I'd consider it too but the games list is unimpressive. The only ones I even remember playing are: Asteroids, Battle Zone, Berzerk, Centipede, Lunar Landing, Millipede, Space Invaders

And of those, only Asteroids, Battle Zone, and Space Invaders have any real appeal.
post #23 of 48 Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I scanned all responses and didn't see anyone suggest following.

Contact coin-op operators in your area. Often they have surplus games that can be had designed as multi-game machines and very well built for commercial use.

I am not into video games but know area Operator who has a multi-game unit built around a Galaga cabinet with 48 games installed. Cabinet has two player controls and a track ball. Good thing is all games commercially produced so all legal license fees paid and so completely legit and made to work with that CPU and control interface - some people have problems with their home made MAME computers and controls interface.

The games on this unit limited to total of 48 on a soldered in flash chip BUT newer games can be added so long as total doesn't exceed 48 and his price for this unit was $1400 but probably negotiable.

My overall advice for home arcade is DO NOT buy consumer built stuff like the Sears unit - they are just not built to same standards as commercial units. Kinda like buying one of those $150 foos tables at Sam's Club - they look really spiffy cosmetically but are cheaply built. We looked for a while before finding our coin-op Tournament Tornado foos for $300 from - guess - an Operator and it has had heavy use in our home game room and looks as good now as it did when we bought it over 10 years ago. Same with pinball and same with video games - IMO - find and buy commercial - you won't regret it! Like the 1958 baseball arcade game we bought 32 years ago - still works perfectly.
goodluck and good gaming.
post #24 of 48 Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 PM

price now 399 on website
jeez, just looking at that gamelist and it's painful! I mean, you could probably squeeze all these games on a nintendo ds game cartridge. That's amusing to me in a weird way. Tempest would be a challenge
post #25 of 48 Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Tempest has interesting controls, does this Sears machine have it?

Just build ya'll own MAME box ya'll.

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #26 of 48 Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Tempest sans spinner is pretty lame.

Having a spinner on your mame machine is pretty cool. Tempest on a standard mame machine isn't as cool even with the spinner because you need a good vector monitor to get the real good effect.

There is a board to interface your computer to a vector monitor. If I ever find a good large color vector monitor I am all over that project.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #27 of 48 Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Tempest sans spinner is pretty lame.

Having a spinner on your mame machine is pretty cool. Tempest on a standard mame machine isn't as cool even with the spinner because you need a good vector monitor to get the real good effect.

There is a board to interface your computer to a vector monitor. If I ever find a good large color vector monitor I am all over that project.

yes, tempest is uber crap on even the xbox live arcade without the spinner. I used to love that game as a youth. Used to play that, Joust, and Star Wars arcade
post #28 of 48 Old 09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

yes, tempest is uber crap on even the xbox live arcade without the spinner. I used to love that game as a youth. Used to play that, Joust, and Star Wars arcade

http://www.zektor.com/zvg/ZVG.html

Here is the interface card I was talking about.

post #29 of 48 Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

http://www.zektor.com/zvg/ZVG.html

Here is the interface card I was talking about.

wow, only $200 bucks! Sign me up for 2
post #30 of 48 Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Great price for what you get IMHO. On the other hand, getting a good large color vector monitor.....

Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page