Moving Pool Table - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all.

Just wondering if anyone has experience taking apart a pool table? I have been working around my table for a year but now it is time to disassemble it and put it into storage until the basement is done.

Where to start and what to look out for are the types of things I'd like to know.

Thanks

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-23-2008, 05:12 AM

Yes I have broken down several pool tables, and moved them

Need specifics on your table do you know it's name and model, also is this a slate top table, with 3 slates or a barbox with one slate for the top?
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

The pool table is a 7 foot Brunswick with 3 pieces of undowelled slate.

Eric
post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 PM

OK get underneath the table because the rails are attached to the slates with large lag bolts. You will need to remove them first to get the rails removed. Socket wrenches can be used if your hardware allows it. You might be able to remove the rails with pockets and side skirts as all one unit. If not look inside the pockets for there attachment points to the rails. Again they will be attached to the rails either with large bolts or wood screws.

The important thing in all of this is to bag each item and clearly label on the bag what they were for. As you remove the rail you will want to mark the underside so that when you put the table back together you can assemble the rails in their proper relationship to each other.

After the rails are removed, you will need to remove the cloth. If there is a wood backer underneath the slates the cloth may be stapled to the wood use a staple remover (the upholstery type to remove. If there is no wood backer the cloth was affixed with spray adhesive. If that is the case the cloth can be removed by pulling it off the slates since it should have only be glued at the edges.

After the cloth is removed you should see some large screw heads that were originally underneath the rails. These screw connect the slates to the frame. Remove the screws and bag them.

When you remove the slates this is a two person job. You want to be very careful when removing them because they are fragile if dropped! Remove the two outside slates first, then remove the slate in the middle last, just to be sure that the weight is removed evenly, and the table does not tip. Remember these slates can be near 200 pounds each.

If you are putting the table in storage for any length of time I would suggest that you crate the slates. I have seen people use wooden pallets for a crate. You want something to put the slates in to protect them and to keep them from moving around or hitting each other while they are being transported.

After the slates are removed it is a straight forward job to disassemble the frame and legs. It should be very clear where the bolts and screws are when you are looking at this without the slates on top.

Key things

Take your time, mark all of your parts to make it EZ to reassemble, Bag all of your hardware and lable so that you know what they are and you don't use them. Above all be careful with the slates.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Wow Tony, nice job with the advise.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 AM

Advantages of a life of misspent youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwdave View Post

Wow Tony, nice job with the advise.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Tony

Thanks for play by play on taking apart the pool table, I hope to have the time to dissasemble sometime this weekend.

Eric
post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Did you?

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Did you?

Yes I did get the pool table broken down, thanks to Tony's instructions.
I will have to move it several times before it can be reassembled in the new game room.

I also got a price to get it professionally reassembled and new felt put on. To reassemble $250 and new felt $200

Eric
post #10 of 12 Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Eric,

I watched the guys put together my pool table in Calgary. I then took it down 6 months later and moved to Manitoba. I put it back together and everything fit perfectly. I thought I would have to buy new felt, but I didn't. I didn't like the professional prices either.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 AM

Glad to hear that you got the table disassembled.

Did you get an idea of what kind of cloth they are putting on the table for 200 dollars?

Also are they putting the cloth on the rails for the prices you have quoted?

Re-clothing the cushions is the hardest job (IMHO) of setting up a pool table. It takes knowledge, skill, and practice to cloth a rail without getting dimples, or loose spots on the rails. Well worth the 200 setup charge, to have it done right.

You may want to check the condition of the rubber cushions on your rails. The cheap rubber cushions that many manufactures sell today, tend to get hard after a few years. Press along the edge of the rubber cushions with your fingers ever half inch and see if there are any spots that are significantly harder to press than others. As long as all along the length of the cushion is consistent, your rails are in good shape.

If your rails are inconsistent, you may want to obtain a quote of getting new rubber attached to your rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian eh View Post

Yes I did get the pool table broken down, thanks to Tony's instructions.
I will have to move it several times before it can be reassembled in the new game room.

I also got a price to get it professionally reassembled and new felt put on. To reassemble $250 and new felt $200

Eric

post #12 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1976 View Post

Eric,

I watched the guys put together my pool table in Calgary. I then took it down 6 months later and moved to Manitoba. I put it back together and everything fit perfectly. I thought I would have to buy new felt, but I didn't. I didn't like the professional prices either.

When I called for a price on reassembling the pool table I was surprised,but the more I think about it I can see where the numbers come from. Two people, travel time and then reassembling the pool table.

Tony,

I do not know whether or not the cushions will get recovered with the price they quoted me over the phone. I am considering changing the colour of the felt when I get the pool table put back together to compliment our colour scheme. I will make sure that when I'm ready that I specify that I need the cushions redone as well, just in case they were not included in the re-felting price. Thanks Tony!

Eric
Reply Game Room Equipment & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page