AVS Forum banner
73K views 619 replies 163 participants last post by  SoundofMind 
#1 ·
Called Electronics Expo on Monday, gave me the Denon 4311CI shipped for $1329.99 . . . . CSR was great....I asked for $1299 Ann he said "yes, but I need to add $29.99 for shipping. I ordered then on Monday afternoon and it arrived yesterday (Friday) to my home....came with the firmware updated and I set it up quickly, upgraded to AirPlay, and works sweet! Amazingmavr at an a,aging price! And since it was purchased from EE as a Denon authorized etailer, it come with the 3-year warranty!

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner /forum/post/21526822

^Yep, they are who I got mine from as well. So...many...functions...

EE is great to deal with . . . And EE is an authorized etailer for Denon, so you get your 3 year warranty . . . If you buy from An online seller not authorized by Denon on the Denon website, YOU GET NO denon WARRANTY. I know, I went round and around with Denon for days on a 4311ci I bought from an etailer who is still claiming to be authorized by Denon--but they are not. Denon would make NO exceptions on the unit I originally purchased from an etailer not authorized by Denon. Sent that unit back to the etailer making the false claims and bought the new one from EE and got it four days later.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 /forum/post/21527682

FYI, just saw this...if you don't mind refurbished, MacMall has it for $1070 (don't know if they will charge tax and shipping). Don't know if they are an authorized dealer. If that is important to you at this price point, you may want to understand their returns policy too.

If you buy from MacMall, you will get no Denon Warranty....there are only 4 Denon authorized etaildweller long 4311 refurbs with a warranty; Dakmart, ecost.com, ubid.com and accessories4less.

@ http://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/p...eetailers.aspx

you can see all of and the only etailers who are authorized to sell Denon online to get a warranty with the unit. I would not recommend buying any refurb without the 3-year Denon manufacturer's warranty.

I was duped into purchasing a new 4311 from a well-known etailers, them continuing to argue they were an official Denon etailer.

But they are not. I called Denon and submitted three different e-letters up the official chain at Demon asking them to help me by giving me the warranty on the unit. Mdejon said "no by policy.". They would not bend.

After finally (12 calls) I convinced them (the duping etailer) into accepting my unit back and giving me full charge back on my VISA card. I let them know my next step would be to get visa involved as a Fraud case because they continued to claim I had a warranty with my purchase with them. instantly, instead of the store credit they wanted to give me the retun, they found a magical way to accept my return with a full refund to my credit card. Denon legal department has begun action against this e-trailer.

Simple rule, if it is not an authorized online seller on Denon's website, you buy from anyone else, it immediately voids your Denon warranty.

Bottom line, if you buy online, not matter what a selling CSR claimed, Only buy from etailers listed on Denon's link above!

Ecost.com has the 4311ci right now for $1090 and it comes with the three year warranty. Good deal on a refurb with warranty! If they would have had the 100th anniversary version of the 4311, I would have jumped on it.

#6 ·
I just called J&R and got them to sell me an AVR-4311CI for $1375 with free shipping. Before any real discussion, the price was $1600 and it didn't take too much effort to get the price down, but he definitely wouldn't go down to $1299. So not quite as good as $1329, but it was easier than calling around to a bunch of dealers and I'll most likely have it tomorrow as shipping from NYC to where I live usually just takes a day for ground shipping and he said he expected it would ship today.

If anyone is looking to save a few more bucks, Electronics Expo currently has an open box (Like New) AVR-4311CI listed for $1249.77 (plus shipping). At least for me, the price would need to be lower than that to take the risk on an open box item given what a sealed one can be bought for.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr /forum/post/21550772

I just called J&R and got them to sell me an AVR-4311CI for $1375 with free shipping. Before any real discussion, the price was $1600 and it didn't take too much effort to get the price down, but he definitely wouldn't go down to $1299. So not quite as good as $1329, but it was easier than calling around to a bunch of dealers and I'll most likely have it tomorrow as shipping from NYC to where I live usually just takes a day for ground shipping and he said he expected it would ship today.

If anyone is looking to save a few more bucks, Electronics Expo currently has an open box (Like New) AVR-4311CI listed for $1249.77 (plus shipping). At least for me, the price would need to be lower than that to take the risk on an open box item given what a sealed one can be bought for.

Congrats! You got a great deal from J&R ..... And the three year warranty too!

You are going to love this AVR . . . I can't seem to find the "off" button on mine since I set it up last Friday!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor /forum/post/21551734

Congrats! You got a great deal from J&R ..... And the three year warranty too!

You are going to love this AVR . . . I can't seem to find the "off" button on mine since I set it up last Friday!

Thanks - I'm sure I'll be very happy with it, but it's actually for a secondary (bedroom) system that won't exactly get a ton of use. My main system has the AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI combo. I suspect one of the 2311/2312/3311/3312 would have been more than adequate for what I'll be using it for, but the 4311 will actually be a better fit for the cabinet (since it's shorter than the 2312/3312) and gives me an excellent backup (with the preamp mode) if my AVP ever needs to go in for repair. Given my application, I wouldn't have gone with the 4311 at list price but at the price I paid it makes at least a little bit of sense (just don't remind me that I probably could have gotten somewhat comparable discounts on the lower models)
. And I definitely wouldn't consider buying any of these from an unauthorized dealer as repairs, if needed, would blow up any potential savings on the purchase price.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor /forum/post/21529953

If you buy from MacMall, you will get no Denon Warranty....there are only 4 Denon authorized etaildweller long 4311 refurbs with a warranty; Dakmart, ecost.com, ubid.com and accessories4less.

MacMall purchases are refurbs covered by a 90 day valid warranty by Denon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor /forum/post/21529953

Ecost.com has the 4311ci right now for $1090 and it comes with the three year warranty. Good deal on a refurb with warranty!

Ecost purchases are refurbs covered by a 1 year valid warranty by Denon.

Also note that some resellers purchase from an authorized Denon reseller (which is what Newegg did) and, if authorized to do so, (which Newegg was not) then their sales will also be covered by Denon even though they will not be listed on Denon's authorized reseller website. Bottom line, if in doubt, give Denon a call to confirm.

#10 ·
jdsmoothie,

Didn't you call Denon customer service and they told you Newegg was an authorized dealer? You say that if in doubt, call Denon. However, it appears that you can't even trust them. You wrote the below from the thread regarding whether Newegg was an authorized dealer back in December:

"You can confirm yourself ... as I did .. by simply calling Denon Customer Service and asking them. "

#11 ·

'p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin70 /forum/post/21594982

jdsmoothie,

Didn't you call Denon customer service and they told you Newegg was an authorized dealer? You say that if in doubt, call Denon. However, it appears that you can't even trust them. You wrote the below from the thread regarding whether Newegg was an authorized dealer back in December:

"You can confirm yourself ... as I did .. by simply calling Denon Customer Service and asking them. "

After buying from NEWEG in December, the calling Denon to register my 4311, Dennon adamantly so no...I could not register for any warranty and that warrantymwas void BECAUSE I BOUGHTMFROM NEWEGG, AN UNAUTHORIZED SELLLER.

THEY WERE NICE AT Denon, but firm. Gave a written appeals process. Rejected. Forwarded,the appeal to a higher, final authority...rejected. Denon informed,me their legal department was taking action against newegg for false claims.

I contacted newegg with Denon rep names and phone number...until newegg,confirmed the legal action in place.

Only then did newegg RMA MY unit for a full credit (a new egg credit as they desired). I then informed newegg I was immediately calling VISA to block,the charge as fraud.). Instantaneously, newegg agreed to 100% refund of my $1299 to my VISA card.

I immediately called Electronics Expo, the sent me the 4311 in 3 days for $1329. Now I have a four year manufacturer warranty on my 4311, an extra year with VISA....peace of mind and works great.

#12 ·
I don't doubt that Denon is saying that Newegg is not authorized, Denon seems to have their story straight now. However, Denon did not always have their story straight.. Their customer support told several people that Newegg was authorized when the Neweg deals first started appearing in December, including jdsmoothie. You can see numerous post from people who called Denon. I doubt they are all lying. Apparently, you can't trust Denon or Newegg.. Newegg made false claims (maybe unknowingly). Denon misinformed the public (likely accidentally). Both should acknowledge their mistakes and make sure warranties are honored. Their could probably be a consumer lawsuit against both of them.

I do agree at this point it wouldn't make sense to buy from Newegg given the current situation.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin70 /forum/post/21596167

I don't doubt that Denon is saying that Newegg is not authorized, Denon seems to have their story straight now. However, Denon did not always have their story straight.. Their customer support told several people that Newegg was authorized when the Neweg deals first started appearing in December, including jdsmoothie. You can see numerous post from people who called Denon. I doubt they are all lying. Apparently, you can't trust Denon or Newegg.. Newegg made false claims (maybe unknowingly). Denon misinformed the public (likely accidentally). Both should acknowledge their mistakes and make sure warranties are honored. Their could probably be a consumer lawsuit against both of them.

I do agree at this point it wouldn't make sense to buy from Newegg given the current situation.

Yeah, I bought from newegg in December after calling Denon 3 times to confirm newegg was authorized...but on my fourth call to register the product, that is when Denon's tune changed...their legal dept by Dec 20 had warned newegg to stop making claims to be authorized....it took me a month of calls to newegg upper supervisors (supervisor of newegg CSR supervisors) before I could get anyone from newegg to make one phone call to Denon New Jersey corporate to confirm for newegg supervisor of CSR supervisors that adenon had started legal action. The last I knew, Jan 20, even after newegg CSR supervisor admitted to me Denon had confirmed to newegg to stop the practice of the false claim they we not authorized, my next call to newegg the CSR was claiming to be authorized again (newegg: "Denon just still have forgotten to put us on their authorized etailer seller list."

Sure, newegg keeps selling the 4311s, but with false claims. Newegg sells such great stuff, and continuing the lie sells more, but it seems so unnecessary for them to contine to dupe customers just for a sell that will bite them on the butt.

I am not in love with Denon about it either....I had a perfectly working unit I loved....asked for help to just allow the warranty....thre appeals all the way up to HQ to say a simple "yes, we wil go ahead and give you the warranty this one time.". It would not have hurt them to serve me and a few customers granting the simple request...big deal. They even kept giving me higher up people each time to appeal to. In the end, has a low CSR call and say, "it is and will always be "no" to all like request.

I do love the 4311. After getting newegg to finally take it back for a full refund, I bought another on from Electronics Expo....now I have the four year warranty under my VISA Card. I was,looking at several additional Denon separates then; NOT NOW! This is my first and last Denon piece of equipment I will ever buy. Denon never again. They could have helped a duped customer who loved their product....but they woudn't and wasted my time by encouraging to keep sending hopeful request for a simple policy waiver.

Well, I guess newegg has an open box 4311 that works great with AirPlay that they now have to sell . . . With no Denon warranty.

One again, "Customer NO Service."

Looks like Marantz and Pioneer will be back in my future.

#14 ·
Great heads up info on all this warranty with authorized dealers. Certainly something to keep in mind. And, did not know that MacMall was selling refurbs!

The discussion got me thinking that if we boil it down, we are talking about what is the warranty worth.

For a $30 premium, over an unauthorized dealer (e.g. newegg above), one gets to have the official four year warranty (ignoring for the moment, in the example, the possible fraud, if not just poor organization and communication between two companies and their customers).

I don't know how it would shake out, but I wonder what a equivalent SquareTrade or similar company's warranty cost is in comparison. $30 might be a very good deal on the insurance.

I imagine that on other products the price spreads are wider (authorized vs unauthorized dealers for warranty coverage), i.e. the implied warranty cost is higher?

Since this is an electronic product, after the first 90 days, what are the chances that it would be found defective? I imagine there is serious diminishing returns on a warranty beyond that period, particularly for a technical good that depreciates rather quickly.

As with all insurance, these warranties are a financial tradeoff against the risk of defect. And that, is a judgement call for each of us to make.

For me, the premium would have to be fairly small for me to feel the extra warranty is worth it on a product like this. But that is just my risk tolerance in this case.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 /forum/post/21598221

Great heads up info on all this warranty with authorized dealers. Certainly something to keep in mind. And, did not know that MacMall was selling refurbs!

The discussion got me thinking that if we boil it down, we are talking about what is the warranty worth.

For a $30 premium, over an unauthorized dealer (e.g. newegg above), one gets to have the official four year warranty (ignoring for the moment, in the example, the possible fraud, if not just poor organization and communication between two companies and their customers).

I don't know how it would shake out, but I wonder what a equivalent SquareTrade or similar company's warranty cost is in comparison. $30 might be a very good deal on the insurance.

I imagine that on other products the price spreads are wider (authorized vs unauthorized dealers for warranty coverage), i.e. the implied warranty cost is higher?

Since this is an electronic product, after the first 90 days, what are the chances that it would be found defective? I imagine there is serious diminishing returns on a warranty beyond that period, particularly for a technical good that depreciates rather quickly.

As with all insurance, these warranties are a financial tradeoff against the risk of defect. And that, is a judgement call for each of us to make.

For me, the premium would have to be fairly small for me to feel the extra warranty is worth it on a product like this. But that is just my risk tolerance in this case.

Denon's warranty on the 4311ci is 3 years (four with certain credit cards).

I had one AVR that went out 2 1/2 years after I got it . . . Warranty was only for two years.

I called squaretrade at Newegg's suggestion, thinkin, "Well, I will just keep the the thing and buy my own warranty.". Squaretrade will not take your money for a 4311 warranty....won't cover those, even though newegg will sell you that warranty for a 4311 . . . They tried with me, but I called squaretrade first to find out it was bogus.

Even if you could buy a squaretrade warranty, it would OT kick in until after the date of the manufacurer's warranty, which is 3 years on the 4311. Newegg tried to sell me a square tread warranty with the caveat that it would not kick in until after the three years of what would have been the Denon warranty, even when newegg admitted to me the first three years the unit would have no warranty. The CSR supervisor at newegg, said, "Yeah, I know you would not have a warranty for the first three years, but what if it worked good and then died in the fourth year?"

Simple solution, only buy from a Denon authorized etailer if you want any kind of arrqnty on a 4311.

See http://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/p...eetailers.aspx

If it an't on there, you will have no warranty, period.

If you are going to buy online, trust no one not on that Denon official page.

#16 ·
Another thing with these refurb products: I don't think buying a refurb from an authorized dealer gives you the full 3 year warranty that a new item will.

For the most part, Accessories4less gives a 1 year warranty for refurbed Denon and Marantz receivers. Don't know about the 3 other authorized refurb dealers.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBramble /forum/post/21606806

Just ordered one from EE with same price but got a 2 year extended warranty for 50 bucks. Coming from a Pioneer VSX 1020k, i hope i FEEL and HEAR the improvements lol. Hopefully i made the right choice for my 2 Aperion VG tower.

Now, the waiting game.

You are going to love it .... Especially with those towers...got my 4311 from EE in four days. Haven't stopped playing with it for weeks! Will take a year to figure it all out. Go to the 4311/100 thread and start reading . . . Closing in on 5k posts!

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBramble /forum/post/21606806

Just ordered one from EE with same price but got a 2 year extended warranty for 50 bucks. Coming from a Pioneer VSX 1020k, i hope i FEEL and HEAR the improvements lol. Hopefully i made the right choice for my 2 Aperion VG tower.

Now, the waiting game.

I just checked their website and they don't even list it (at any price). So I called and ordered one. They said it was on back order, but should be in the store next week. He said I'd get it "the next day" after it arrives. Sweet!

Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

(Now I have to sell my 4308ci
)

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 /forum/post/21612168

I just checked their website and they don't even list it (at any price). So I called and ordered one. They said it was on back order, but should be in the store next week. He said I'd get it "the next day" after it arrives. Sweet!

Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

(Now I have to sell my 4308ci
)

I also have the 4308 and was thinking about this upgrade. Tell me what your thoughts are in comparison to the 4308 when you get a moment. Thanks.

#23 ·
PM sent

#26 ·
I have the denon 2809ci. Speakers are Polk rti A3 as fronts and a polk rm7600 system for sub, center, surround and surround back. So a 7.1 system. Will the 4311ci give better sound? I want it because of 3D and network features. Price diff with 3312ci seems small given this deal. Thanks for your advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.