Best Buy's 90 day ban policy for returns, Not a Great Deal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Went to Best Buy and found a great deal on a open box bluray player, got it home, didn't work. Returned it and got another open box bluray player, it also did not work and I returned it,,, But this time I got a print-out notice with my CC refund that I would not be able to return or exchange anything at Best Buy for the next 90 days.... I have not returned anything to bestbuy in over a year and it was only a $60 Logitech remote. These defective units caused me to be flagged as someone who abuses bestbuys return policy. The point being a great deal at bestbuy can get you banned from returning and exchanges for 90 days.
Well its only Best buy's loss, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Lol screw them. Call there headquarts and complain.. And keep complaining until you get what you want.. Honestly they ripped me off on a surround sound system. It went on clearence and I called the store.. I had 2 people look to see if it was there. I called and had them put it at customer service. Was driving to go get it when I received a call saying that they sold it yesterday lol.. Clearly someone bought the system because of the drastic price discount and kept it. Filed reports for like 1 week with them and kept on them. Ended up sending me a 200 dollar check for my time
post #3 of 29 Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Well its only Best buy's loss, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.

Bingo. BBY is so freaking clueless as to how to compete in the modern marketplace. They thought Circuit City's self-destruction meant that they didn't have to be competitive anymore so they reduced selection and dropped low margin brands. Then they started in with the return policy you describe. It's like they are bean-counting themselves into irrelevance. They are losing money hand over fist and the best they can do is blame it on the web stores undercutting them when the real problem is that they are their own worst enemy.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #4 of 29 Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Man, we haven't been in there in probably 2 years.....*sits back and browses online stores*

I've noticed my beloved Fry's is starting to slip a bit too.

post #5 of 29 Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh well, so much for best buy.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Very odd, I have returned thousands of dollars in merchandise to their stores and never had anything like that happen, been a silver member for 4-5 years so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I have run into rude sales/customer service people over the years, just like most large retailers, but over-all they take care of me and I have scored some fantastic deals there (better than any online price at the time).

This constant BB needs to fail bandwagon is just ridiculous, I think some of the haters need to start their own B&M CE business and offer competitive pricing to e-tailers, see how long it is sustainable.

Does anyone really think the consumer wins if BB fails... confused.gif If you don't like them or their prices then buy somewhere else, pretty simple really, no reason for all the hate/slander.

* Aside from that what does the topic of this thread have to do with the Great Found Deals section...?

Jason
post #7 of 29 Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't love or hate BB, if they have what I want at the right price, I buy it. I have spent many thousands of dollars over the years at BB and never had a problem that couldn't be fixed by CS. I just find it odd that with just two returns at just over a $100 each in three days would flag me as someone who abuses bestbuys new return policy. I'm really a good customer if they were to check my track record over the years. BB is going to lose in the long run with this "The Retail Equation" system. From what I read, BB days are numbered and will go the same way as CC. Jason you are 100% right about we all lose in the end. Its going to get much worse before it gets better.. Jason tell me where in the AVS forum would I post this, this looked like the best place for people who would be shopping and would like to know about Best Buy's new return policy that punishes there customers by not being able to return or exchange anything at Best Buy for 90 days.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 AM

Liked: 10
I had that happen to me also Joe. I had BB send me out the paperwork and noticed that my local Nike store is on the list. So now I'm wondering if I can't return stuff to the Nike also.

Moses
post #9 of 29 Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0 View Post

I had that happen to me also Joe. I had BB send me out the paperwork and noticed that my local Nike store is on the list. So now I'm wondering if I can't return stuff to the Nike also.
Moses

I contacted " The Retail Equation " and their sending me my life story.
I know I have made afew returns to target, home depot and lowes in the past, maybe that has something to do with it..
But the drivers license is now needed for returns is a new thing and this is the way their tracking returns, big brother at work..

How far and deep can this go, could it oneday effect my credit score, getting a job, loan, my kids future?
post #10 of 29 Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp 
...but over-all they take care of me
This has been my experience as well. In fact, I'd say they take VERY good care of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp 
Does anyone really think the consumer wins if BB fails... confused.gif
Indeed. I don't understand it either.
post #11 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0 View Post

Moses

are you saying that they gave you a list of returns you made to other stores as well over the years ?
post #12 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Yes, that is correct Neekos. I guess BB uses a 3rd party that keeps track of all returns to there stores. I'm not sure what other stores use the same company but like I said I saw my local Nike store on that paperwork I received.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

I contacted " The Retail Equation " and their sending me my life story.
I know I have made afew returns to target, home depot and lowes in the past, maybe that has something to do with it..
But the drivers license is now needed for returns is a new thing and this is the way their tracking returns, big brother at work..
How far and deep can this go, could it oneday effect my credit score, getting a job, loan, my kids future?

That's information I wouldn't be giving them. How does my licence to drive a car have anything to do with returning merchandise?
post #14 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

That's information I wouldn't be giving them. How does my licence to drive a car have anything to do with returning merchandise?

Its the only ID BB asks for with all returns now a days. I paid with a CC and the refund only goes to the same CC used. I got the list from " The Retail Equation " It had only listed 2 returns from best buy and it only went back a week. No target, home depot or lowes on the list, but they too at times asked for ID at the time of the return. I would only think that best buys new return policy is to help a sinking ship stay afloat a little longer, by plugging up some holes in its business model. I would not want best buy to fail, but with a 90 day ban policy for returns, this retail store becomes almost usless, as I wouldn't want to get stuck with a defective product... So if i'm looking for a new TV or speakers / sub, after 2 strikes you're out. Well its good to know there are still many other retails in my area that still cater to customers with disposable income.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM

One less store to shop at.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Cosmos View Post

One less store to shop at.

Shop Yes, buy NO. I'm banned from returning anything for 90 days ! But I did the math so I could buy and try in 61 days and return on the 91 day, if needed to do so...
This is not really a big deal, Its just info that some of my fellow audio / video friends may need to know, as there is no warning, it just happens..
post #17 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM

BB has a ghetto pawnshop feel to it these days. They assume everybody is there to rip them off. Last year I made the mistake of redeeming $600 worth of sky miles into BB gift certificates in june to buy two iPhones for Christmas. What a nightmare. One store in 3 would have a couple and then sold out in 5 minutes. The phones never arrived in time for Xmas. So much for BBs attempt to go upscale. You can find everything hey have cheaper at Amazon.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
BestBuy is a horrible CE store. Poor prices, poor selection, poorly trained staff, arrogant attitutetowards consumers.
I stopped buying anything substantial from them years ago.
Sad their days are numbered, but the did it to themselves. The leadership at the top is the only person to blame-thats why they get compensated to highly after all.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 PM

I feel the same way about BB lately.
The staff in particular is really bad. They don't seem to care and a very condescending to the customers.
Sometimes it feels like I know more about a product than they do.
post #20 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieFanLiz View Post

I feel the same way about BB lately.
The staff in particular is really bad. They don't seem to care and a very condescending to the customers.
Sometimes it feels like I know more about a product than they do.

Ugg I had a terrible BB experience this weekend. Upon walking in, I head to the TV section. The sign on-top of a stack of boxes literally says ($100 off..was 899 NOW 999!) I showed a nearby rep with a big smile on my face and he had to read it like 3 times to understand. Then I asked if I could see the Panny GT/VT series. He asked if it was an LED tv, right then I decided to just have fun with him. (I just purchased/researched a panny 65gt50 and was very familar with their product line). So he brings me to the stand-alone HT display and says "this is what you want, the panasonic TC" I bent down, looked at the tag. It was an ST. He then tells me Panny does not make a VT, I am mistaken. So we go look at the advert with all of panasonics line-up. Well there it was VT/GT/etc (magnolia stores only). maybe he learned something.

So then I decided to get a few 3d blu-rays for my new TV. As luck would have it they had a $5 off for checking cell upgrade eligibility. The rep was nice enough to give me 2 coupons since I have 2 cell lines. I thought I was going to get a deal...wrong. I find the 3d section and am shocked at the price..$35...$40 for movie. That is MSRP and not really BB fault. However I did look up a few titles on Amazon and found $40 titles for $22 bucks; that is BB fault. Anyways pick up two and check out.

Several hours later, I realize "despicible me" was not the 3d version (it was wrongly in the 3d section). So I go back to exchange it. They don't have the 3d version. The only other title I want is, you guess it, $35-40. After waiting in line for 15 mins for one lady to return her spectre 40"lcd, it was my turn. They swiped my drivers license to track how many returns I have. For an un-opened BD. Fortunately, I only shop there once every few months. Now I will ONLY browse, my money is going to Amazon.
post #21 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusierdmd View Post

Ugg I had a terrible BB experience this weekend. Upon walking in, I head to the TV section. The sign on-top of a stack of boxes literally says ($100 off..was 899 NOW 999!) I showed a nearby rep with a big smile on my face and he had to read it like 3 times to understand. Then I asked if I could see the Panny GT/VT series. He asked if it was an LED tv, right then I decided to just have fun with him. (I just purchased/researched a panny 65gt50 and was very familar with their product line). So he brings me to the stand-alone HT display and says "this is what you want, the panasonic TC" I bent down, looked at the tag. It was an ST. He then tells me Panny does not make a VT, I am mistaken. So we go look at the advert with all of panasonics line-up. Well there it was VT/GT/etc (magnolia stores only). maybe he learned something.
So then I decided to get a few 3d blu-rays for my new TV. As luck would have it they had a $5 off for checking cell upgrade eligibility. The rep was nice enough to give me 2 coupons since I have 2 cell lines. I thought I was going to get a deal...wrong. I find the 3d section and am shocked at the price..$35...$40 for movie. That is MSRP and not really BB fault. However I did look up a few titles on Amazon and found $40 titles for $22 bucks; that is BB fault. Anyways pick up two and check out.
Several hours later, I realize "despicible me" was not the 3d version (it was wrongly in the 3d section). So I go back to exchange it. They don't have the 3d version. The only other title I want is, you guess it, $35-40. After waiting in line for 15 mins for one lady to return her spectre 40"lcd, it was my turn. They swiped my drivers license to track how many returns I have. For an un-opened BD. Fortunately, I only shop there once every few months. Now I will ONLY browse, my money is going to Amazon.

Your 90 day ban to return to best buy will start with your next return, this may also cause you problems in other retail stores and may effect your credit rating....
post #22 of 29 Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 PM

post #23 of 29 Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I posted this on the other thread but I thought I would post it here as well. Price matches after you've bought something count as returns at Best Buy so you can get this warning without ever returning anything. After 2 years of being a silver member I would think the treatment would be a little better than this. I'm done with Best Buy.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humey View Post

Great article on why BB will eventually fail
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2012/01/02/why-best-buy-is-going-out-of-business-gradually/

Saw this a while ago. It is, indeed, a great article.

They're closing locations left and right--I'm betting that the whole outfit will be out of business within two years.

Destro
post #25 of 29 Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro View Post

Saw this a while ago. It is, indeed, a great article.
They're closing locations left and right--I'm betting that the whole outfit will be out of business within two years.

There is no doubt Best Buy won’t last long with these types of policies. I found a forum on Best Buy's website where people are complaining about receiving the no returns for 90 days band. Many of them are Silver members which makes things even worse. Treating people like criminals who spend over 2500 a year in your store is one way to lose business fast. I know I won’t shop at Best Buy anymore unless I want to see something before I buy it on Amazon.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Policies/Future-Returns-Will-Be-Declined-for-90-days/m-p/374604
post #26 of 29 Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 11
More good reading
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/07/17/bye-bye-best-buy
People vote with their money.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM

I got banned for 90 days too. I now give cash to a friend and he buys merchandise for me. At least I'll have a return option if the product doesn't fit my needs.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used to love best buy for movies electronics and spent a lot of big dollars there. I live near the bridgewater new jersey store and have found it impossible to shop there. Staff is rude uninformed and just plainly unpleasant. I have stopped even trying to go there anymore. Find now just by all bd,s on amazon, and even some new high end electronics on line, or local specialty shopes with no attitude or nonsense. And just try to call the store for any information they hardly ever pick up. And Magnolia is just a joke. And this return adventure really . Thank goodness for some of the local specialty stores. Rest in peace bb.

post #29 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Direct Copy Pasta from the other thread:

I just got hit with this one today, apparently my price adjustments for online purchases is what did it. Ironically, I was assured by the BB employees at the time that this wouldn't happen, as it rarely does. The girl at the return counter was perplexed as well.

The items I returned had not even been opened or used, I could imagine if it was an issue of people returning heavily, or even lightly used products, since they then have to sell them as open box items. The real kicker is that two of the attempted return items were from the same order, but they could only take one back. Thankfully, I used my AMEX, and they are aware of this problem as well, so AMEX gave me my money back.
Closed Thread Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page