Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOETSI View Post

If BB went out of business these kids would find something else to do. I doubt the crime rate increased when Circuit City went out of business. I'm not going to support a business I don't like just because they have a store in my town. Besides I live in CA so I have to pay taxes now anyway that help support and fund my local community. I'm sure Amazon employs thousands of people themselves, directly and indirectly. I want to support businesses with a good business model that doesn't treat me like crap. If BB paid its employees better and they were actually helpful and knowledgeable I'd gladly pay a few bucks for their products over ordering at Amazon, but they aren't. Not to be sexist, but when you go to BB and see some cute 20 year old girl they got working there the odds are pretty good she isn't some AVS enthusiast with 3000 posts that's going to help you out. The eye candy is nice but it won't be helping you make an informed purchase. Not that the dudebros working there are usually any better.
But hey if you want support a company that acts the way BB does simply because they happen to be within your city limits and it makes you feel good to be giving these kids a job, that's your right. I'm pretty sure my town won't turn into Detroit if and when BB closes its doors. Also, if supporting your local community is that important, how far do you go? If you don't change any of your other buying behaviors other than you pick up your receiver and blu rays and the local BB, you're not really making a difference.

Your posts are short-sighted. Every job makes a difference, and it's more than beer money. These are kids entering the workforce learning work ethic and many other things. Every job, every dollar is important. I'm not trying to get anyone to shop there, I simply explain reasons why i do.
sfl786 likes this.

My Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post

OK, johnny down the street got a job at BB...but damn near all his $ goes to gas, food, and his mortgage...much of which isn't locally based. Since its impossible to know where your $ goes after a degree or two of separation, it seems pretty pointless to try.
It helps out locally because other locals get to keep their jobs at their national chain businesses. Is it as nice as a true local (owned and operated) business? No. But it's better for your community than say, shopping on Amazon (which in the end only employs a UPS or USPS driver to get your package to you; everything else is done out of state unless you live near a distribution center).
jpcamaro70 likes this.

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Liked: 13
all I can say about this is....my wife is a compulsive returner...when it comes to clothing. she doesnt buy much else that she would return unless defective. me, I am the totally opposite. I rarely return anything unless defective. I have never had a problem with BB. bought Nikon D3100 few weeks ago, then exchanged for D5100, no problems...no ID. also a Silver Member. I just dont return stuff anywhere because I choose carefully and make a decision I am comfortable with. I cringe at restocking fees. Tiger Direct charged me a restock on a defective GPS. I was pissed. I just dont have time to return stuff, especially if its something minor like a cracked dvd case. I have gotten stuff like that before from BB. I dont see myself getting flagged because I dont buy with intention to flip, I dont make unsure purchases, etc.... the only thing I would be guilty of is trying out open box stuff and returning that...but as a poster stated, they could care less about that.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls35a View Post

They will be gone someday. This is a death rattle.

No company can be this stupid and survive.

Exactly right. Best Buy is not on solid financial ground.

~~~
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post

Peeps are free to shop where ever they want, but trying to steer your spent $ towards locals is pretty much impossible when we are talking about electronics retail.

OK, johnny down the street got a job at BB...but damn near all his $ goes to gas, food, and his mortgage...much of which isn't locally based. Since its impossible to know where your $ goes after a degree or two of separation, it seems pretty pointless to try.

Powered by the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Ok, let's assume ALL of johnny's money goes to gas, food, and his mortgage-

Someone is working at the gas station, someone is delivering the gas, someone owns the restaurant, works at the restaurant, works at the grocery store, etc. All of those people (and the others not listed) then buy their own things from their own restaurants, stores, etc. It's called a local economy. Yes, much of the profit made still goes to corporate america, but at least at a B&M store, some of the money stays in the community and helps stimulate the local economy... in many cases, even getting people from out of town to shop in that local community. Even the non-local people who are employed there(management etc) still shop at the gas station, or grab lunch at the local restaurants.. B&M stores DO help the local economy. Shopping on Amazon...not so much.
jproy13 likes this.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 11
I recently had a problem with a Best Buy exchange. The exchange became a return and I don't think I will return to Best Buy for any future purchases!

I bought a new LG 60LM7200 TV. When I got home and opened the box there was no remote, no manual, and no screws to assemble the stand. Since I was going to wall mount the TV and I could use my phone as a remote control I decided to just call LG about the missing items. They agreed to ship them out to me.

The next day after I mounted the TV I noticed some backlight issues. Very noticeable bands of different brightness. I decided to exchange the TV.

The customer service desk people were processing the exchange with no problems. A manager showed up and I explained to him that the TV didn't come with a remote or the other accessories but that I had already contacted LG and I could bring them in when they arrived. He told me that that those items are never missing. I asked him if he was saying that I was a liar or a thief and he repeated that TVs always come with the remote. He was acting quite confrontational.

My exchange became a return.

My Panasonic TC-P55VT50 is on its way from Amazon. So long Best Buy.
klun likes this.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Did you get a discount on the TV? Sounds like it was a return item and previous owners kept the items. Did the box look OK?

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Did you get a discount on the TV? Sounds like it was a return item and previous owners kept the items. Did the box look OK?
As I said in my post it was a new tv. The items weren't included by LG.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM

My sister-in-law picked up a vizio last week and called me over to put it in. The remote and all associated harware was there, but so was an extra "brand new" sony remote. yet the box was sealed.

My Gear
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

My sister-in-law picked up a vizio last week and called me over to put it in. The remote and all associated harware was there, but so was an extra "brand new" sony remote. yet the box was sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenarek View Post

As I said in my post it was a new tv. The items weren't included by LG.

Sounds like you both purchased units that were returned to Best Buy. BB just taped back up and packaged without checking over the contents. Can't imagine a NEW. TV being boxed up from the factory with all the items and extra items (Sony remote) in the box.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

I prefer to shop at best buy. They are local, they employ a bunch of local people keeping money in the community and they will price match online competitors. Yes, they have no clue what they are talking about, but that's what this board is for.

Since my new install only 3 months ago, i've returned a router, ethernet cable, tv, power strip and vaccum cleaner with no problem. Their return policy is excellent, similar to Amazon.

I'm not sure why you were flagged, but i wasn't and my returns were a little abnormal, but i also spent over 10 grand in there over 3 months. The must combat fraud and unfortunately you are caught in the middle, call the number and see whats' up.

Wow, you spent 10 grand in three months, so you want a cookie for that. Screw Best Buy. Parasites in Blue and Yellow. I hope they go bankrupt, I purchase everything now on Amazon.com. I don't have to worry about warranty issues, since, my CC has a good warranty program.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've been a Silver Rewards member for years. Just purchased a Sony XBR55HX950 from Best Buy. They beat Amazon by $15. Excellent customer service.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 AM

I read this thread and all I can do is laugh. So much bitterness towards a company and some of the reasoning behind it is as ignorant as the associates you had come in contact with.

I could go through and poke holes in numerous posters stories about how or why they felt cheated by Big Blue, but it would do no good as perception is reality.

I've had bad experiences with BB as well, I've had good ones, I've met educated people with good knowledge of their "zones" and some that just make me want to vomit. One must look at what they do at their store and their business model. They sell electronic goods almost exclusively, meaning most of the items on their shelves have a 6 month shelf life at best, and of that 6 months, it is only "the next big thing" for 2 if they are lucky? Real estate is at a prime, they try and employ as many part timers at lower wages as they can so they can avoid OT, healthcare, and true benefits, but yet, lets be honest, most people that go to work for BB just want the discount on the electronics they buy themselves. They have a good return policy, not the best, surely not the worst. They offer a warranty/protection plan that is sometimes quite good (Black Tie Protection for cell phones for example). And they, as others have said help the local economy. They give to charities in my local area and have local people from their stores doing the volunteer work.

I've read about all the Big Stores closing, how about the small stores they are opening up? Say they close 1 big store a month(not sure that is their business model currently), however, I'm pretty sure, just in my area they are opening 3 Best Buy Mobiles between now and the end of March. Just because a business decides to restructure and allocate it's resources into other areas doesn't mean they are going to fail. The business model is harsh, no one has perfected it, any example given and proven, I'll eat my words, but mind you, you would be hard pressed to find a US based B&M electronics store on the scale of Best Buy that is anywhere near equally as successful.

In conclusion and as I step down from my small but humble podium, round up all the people that hate Best Buy, ask them to chip in and build a B&M store exactly how you think it should be run, and see how long you last.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klun View Post

Wow, you spent 10 grand in three months, so you want a cookie for that. Screw Best Buy. Parasites in Blue and Yellow. I hope they go bankrupt, I purchase everything now on Amazon.com. I don't have to worry about warranty issues, since, my CC has a good warranty program.

No cookies needed for me. I buy from amazon too, and they are great, no question. But while you wait for your 2 day shipping, i'll already be enjoying my new purchase. OH, and we paid the same amount for it.

My Gear
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Don't worry about klun...one post=troll.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispair View Post

In conclusion and as I step down from my small but humble podium, round up all the people that hate Best Buy, ask them to chip in and build a B&M store exactly how you think it should be run, and see how long you last.

You don't need to be a baker to know that the bread is stale.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Discover just how rewarding Premier Silver status can be. Here's what comes with membership:

FREE House Call from a Geek Squad® Agent. We'll help you make the most of your technology with your choice of one of the following services per year:

TV Calibration – Having an HDTV is one thing. Having it personalized to your exact needs is another. Our ISF-certified installers will come to your home and calibrate your HDTV so you're seeing it the way it was meant to be seen.
Setting up your home wireless network (or upgrading your current one) so that you're able to safely and securely surf the Internet at blazing fast speeds. (router hardware not included; Agent will connect up to 2 devices).
Personalized training for one hour so you're able to harness the full power of your devices.
Customized programming of your standard universal TV remote, giving you the convenience of controlling your entire home theater system with one remote.
An in-home computer tune-up to improve the speed and security of your computer by removing unnecessary files and configuring security settings to keep your computer protected.
Home Theater Consultation A Geek Squad agent will design and lay out a system that captures your home theater dreams, and works within your budget. Our agent can also help you choose products that work best with your design.

MORE Points. 25% point bonus1 on every dollar spent and more flexible redemption options. And remember, points add up even faster with the Reward Zone Credit Card with standard credit financing. Premier Silver members may choose to have your reward certificates issued automatically, or choose point banking to let your points build until you want to redeem them.

FREE Helpline. We'll help with basic product setup, purchase recommendations and Reward Zone account questions.

MORE Time.We want you to ensure you love every purchase. So contact the Helpline for help with setup. Or, get a recommendation on an exchange that better fits your needs. Best of all, you have plenty of time to decide with a 60-day return and exchange policy on qualifying Best Buy and BestBuy.com purchases. Enjoy 180 days to use your reward certificates.

FREE Expedited Shipping and FREE Delivery. Online and in-store.

PREMIER Access. Get some of the hottest new technologies in store or at BestBuy.com as well as Premier access to iconic sales.

FREE Gift Guidance. Find the right gift for anyone, yourself included, with our personal shopper service.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Uuugh. Corporate loyalty programs are not "great found deals."

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah it is...it's a reward. Being a Silver member I've probably earned $1500 over the years. Of course this WHOLE THREAD could be labeled "not a great found deal"

Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Loyalty cards are standard everyday programs, pretty much every retailer has some sort of loyalty program, they are ... unremarkable. Should I post Target's 5% discount loyalty card program? What about monoprice's program where you get bulk pricing even on single-unit purchases? Or Amazon's loyalty visa card? Etc. etc. Besides, such a context-free post is rather unhelpful, you don't link to anything with more info like what you have to do to qualify.

And no, it is not a reward it is an attempt to capture more of your spending - nobody is in business to give away money, in the long run they expect to turn a profit on every dollar they spend on you.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

So you purchase everything without asking or getting a Discount?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

So you purchase everything without asking or getting a Discount?
Please do not get side-tracked. Loyalty programs are nothing special for at least these three reasons:
1) practically all retailers have them and do their best to promote them
-- therefore not hard to find
2) they are available 365 days per year
-- therefore not a deal
3) unlike a sale or close-out, the intent of the retailer is to recoup every dollar they spend on their loyalty programs and then some
-- therefore not all that great

Whether or not I haggle for discounts is irrelevant to the point that loyalty programs are neither "great" nor "found" nor a "deal," much less all three.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

How many loyalty programs reward you with A) Your purchase...I'll recieve another $100 or so in certificates from my last purchase B) Price Matched and beat Amazons price by $15 C) No interest for 24 mos. D) one tune up per yr. for free for ISF cal. Of your flat panel or pc tuneup or other perks....I'd say that is a deal as is beating Amazon by $15 out the door price E) 45 day return

Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh you are so right, man why didn't you post all those awesome features when you did that context-free cut-n-paste of corporate boilerplate?
45 day return policy, yeehaw! 2-year interest free sucker loans, can't get those anywhere!

Your BBY loyalty program is not just great, it is freakin doubleplusgood!!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Plus Best Buy does these pretty awesome features...They are HUGE for MAKE-A-WISH this was my sons a day I will always remember

Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 AM

That's pretty cool Browninggold!

As far as BB goes- They do provide jobs and keep money in a community. That can be more important in some areas then others. They also price match now- and the return policy for premier silver is 60 days at least where I am at. So now, you do your research, and can go to a local BB to match that price. If there is any issue, you have a local store to bring it back to. WIN WIN. Yes, in many cases the reps are untrained and in others they flat out lie to you- it's called sales. Do your own research, which you would be doing for online purchases anyway, and you'll be fine.

As far as the loyalty programs like reward zone and premier silver- As long as you don't shop their JUST BECAUSE you have the card- what's the problem? I've gotten a few hundred dollars back from my purchases that I typically buy blu-rays with. Price matched my original purchase, gave me a free ISF tv calibration, 60 day return without needing to screw around with shipping, and I get free money out of it? Sounds good to me. Still need to be an informed shopper, and BB has their faults- but this isn't one of them.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM

As of march 3rd bb's pm policy is changing and it's not in our favor.

If what they told me is true I won't even consider bb for my av purchases.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunotheboxer View Post

As of march 3rd bb's pm policy is changing and it's not in our favor.

If what they told me is true I won't even consider bb for my av purchases.

Could you please elaborate? The only thing I've heard that is changing is that they are adding more stores to the list of places they will price match to..

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

It was awesome Cmonman...so what is the change brunotheboxer?