Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

"Price matching" is well known to raise prices, not lower them,

I have to disagree with tcscomics on this point, I think it makes a lot of sense, and the article you linked to gives a good argument. This makes sense to me. I suppose price matching works to some degree for vigilant shoppers, but the best you can do in a price matching market is to price match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 662
I have been in a retail store (aside from supermarkets) only once this year and that was to buy a freezer. Shipping is just too much on items like that. Otherwise all my shopping is on line and my A/V shopping has been all on line for years. I did buy my last TV from Best Buy but I bought it on line. Oddly, a couple of BB employees delivered it and actually set it up. I don't think there will be an A/V retail store in existence in 10 years anywhere.
post #243 of 253 Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Oddly, a couple of BB employees delivered it and actually set it up. I don't think there will be an A/V retail store in existence in 10 years anywhere.

Why was that odd?

post #244 of 253 Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

The point here is that the deal is severely restricted by a trivial item. If a retailer is going to offer the deal, there's no excuse to only have 4 bags of combos. It doesn't matter that they're not a supermarket. It is their suggestion that you buy snack food from them! And combos are not rare collector's items, its junk food. So they're either luring you to the store with a dishonestly limited sale, or (more likely) just aren't competent with their own sales and inventory.

This is more common than you think. I highly doubt BB stocks up on combos and ran this promo something akin to a loss leader. Many stores, even mfg's run promos based on products that are never ordered by a store, but since they are available and attractive, they will get people in the door.

In retail sales, it's all about getting people in the door without lying.

My Gear
post #245 of 253 Old 09-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I went to BB for the last time a couple weeks ago. I needed a 6 foot LAN cable on the quick. The cheapest they had was crap for $20. I went 300 feet across the parking lot to Home Depot and got what I needed for $5.

Slate was right, BB deserves to die soon! http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2013/09/best_buy_turnaround_profits_and_share_prices_are_up_but_the_store_s_no_good.html
MassConfusion likes this.
post #246 of 253 Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

This is more common than you think. I highly doubt BB stocks up on combos and ran this promo something akin to a loss leader. Many stores, even mfg's run promos based on products that are never ordered by a store, but since they are available and attractive, they will get people in the door.

In retail sales, it's all about getting people in the door without lying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post

I went to BB for the last time a couple weeks ago. I needed a 6 foot LAN cable on the quick. The cheapest they had was crap for $20. I went 300 feet across the parking lot to Home Depot and got what I needed for $5.

Slate was right, BB deserves to die soon! http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2013/09/best_buy_turnaround_profits_and_share_prices_are_up_but_the_store_s_no_good.html

The new Xbox and PS4 is the only thing saving there ass for the next few months, but after the Xmas hype watch there stock price and that goes for gamestop too....
post #247 of 253 Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Spent $17K with BB in the past year. Returned 2 things in the past 365 days amounting to $155. Today, I was denied a return and was told I had to wait 90 days before returning anything else. Store manager didn't care about what I've spent and told me "there's nothing I can do, call the number on receipt". I'll never purchase another thing there and I hope they learn a hard lesson from these types of policies.
post #248 of 253 Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post

Spent $17K with BB in the past year. Returned 2 things in the past 365 days amounting to $155. Today, I was denied a return and was told I had to wait 90 days before returning anything else. Store manager didn't care about what I've spent and told me "there's nothing I can do, call the number on receipt". I'll never purchase another thing there and I hope they learn a hard lesson from these types of policies.

I cant wait to see how some one will try and defend best buy in this case
post #249 of 253 Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 13
Will be interesting to see what happens if BB (and other similar stores) do indeed disappear from the landscape. I'm curious as to how the manufacturers would handle distribution; would we be doomed to a world of Target and Walmart AV purchasing? Not every wants to (or can) order online - especially bigger ticket items. That will likely become less relevant over time, but still - I think there will always be a subset of people who absolutely need to see and touch something before they purchase it. I suspect that we might still have the mom/pop type places that can order anything you want, but their return policies aren't going to be like the big guys in most cases (most of the ones around me buy through a sort of co-op). Factory direct? If you have a problem with BB, good luck dealing with LGSonySonicSung smile.gif

Honestly, I always assumed that the "return-a-palooza" would have to end at some point. Margins get thinner all the time, and the economy isn't exactly gang busters at this point. Returns cost somebody money somewhere, shipping rates are up in most cases, and someone has data that indicates chronic behavior for some customers. I'm NOT defending this new policy; it's definitely short sighted in it's implementation based on what I've read here. That being said, I can't say I'm shocked by it either. You read enough posts here that say "I went through (insert-number-higher-than-one) sets before I got one that was 'just right'...". This isn't porridge - at some point LGSonySonicSung pushes back on their end to the retailer.

Then again, I suspect most of us aren't the "optimal target demographic". BB Corporate likes to sell big TV's to the average suburban Joe that walks in and says "Mmmmmm....... big.......". Joe takes it home, plugs it in, and never touches anything but the "ON" button for the next 5 years. The guys on the floor at my BB like it when I come in because they don't have to sell me anything or answer questions. The accountants in Minnesota would probably be happier if I didn't exist.

I worry most about the ripple effect. At what pint does Amazon decide that since BB did it, they can do it as well? E-tailers might be good about returns, but I suspect they don't like them any more than the brick and mortar stores do.

May you live in interesting times... smile.gif
post #250 of 253 Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just don't buy anything at BB anymore, I won't go to any BB in my free time to just look around for something new to play with, for fear i just may get stuck with it. Which is ok,,,,, for that was starting to get old anyway.. I found better ways to spend my free time, and i am a better person now.... Not as geeky anyway wink.gif

Now if i want a new br player i will buy 5-20 units pick the best one and return all the others. It will get the job done in only TWO trips, as the third one may be your last one for the next 90 days. This will save you time, money and gas !!!!!

If BB can stop you from returning there crap they now can sell more CRAP / defective goods with less fear of it being returned now you go deal with the manufacturers !
post #251 of 253 Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

I just don't buy anything at BB anymore, I won't go to any BB in my free time to just look around for something new to play with, for fear i just may get stuck with it.

+1
post #252 of 253 Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 18
Buying 5 to 20 bluray players to pick just one is a little overboard to me. If i was a store owner i dont think i would like that. Just my thoughts
post #253 of 253 Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post

did you use a Credit Card? if so, call the CC Company...

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Closed Thread Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page