Best Buy's Return Warning, It could happen to you. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 253 Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had to go to best buy yesterday to exchange a defective bluray disc "Sucker Punch" as the case was cracked. I ordered the disc online, the disc was shipped in a soft heavy bag, but still the case corner was clearly broken, and was still in its factory wrapping with seals.
The young girl happily exchanged the unopened bluray for a new one. I was asked for ID and with my receipt of the exchange was handed a warning. Now I can not return or exchange any product i buy for the next 90 days, she told me she been handing out many of these warnings out in the past weeks, the dollar value does not seem to be a factor. I am just worry about getting stuck with defective products, I will just have wally world price match. In just the past 18 mouths I purchased over 2k at best buy, is this going to effect me in anyway in the furture besides at bestbuy? I just called and I should have more info by the end of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
best why?
post #3 of 253 Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Liked: 14
dumb policy, and whats worse it sounds like they are paying someone to do this and track it for them. there's already another thread in this forum with the same topic.
post #4 of 253 Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 15
As if we needed less reason to shop at Best Buy. The peace of mind of local store and returns was the only thing it had going for it.
post #5 of 253 Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I prefer to shop at best buy. They are local, they employ a bunch of local people keeping money in the community and they will price match online competitors. Yes, they have no clue what they are talking about, but that's what this board is for.

Since my new install only 3 months ago, i've returned a router, ethernet cable, tv, power strip and vaccum cleaner with no problem. Their return policy is excellent, similar to Amazon.

I'm not sure why you were flagged, but i wasn't and my returns were a little abnormal, but i also spent over 10 grand in there over 3 months. The must combat fraud and unfortunately you are caught in the middle, call the number and see whats' up.

My Gear
post #6 of 253 Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
You don't even have to do a retun to get this notice. They count price matches as returns as well so if you do several price matches you can be cut off from returns or exchanges. I'm strictly Amazon now!
Josea likes this.
post #7 of 253 Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 AM

When I did this last purchase I had two price matches on the LG tv, One on the Denon. and still nothing. Oh, and i returned a window air conditioner. I guess i'm just lucky.

My Gear
post #8 of 253 Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

I prefer to shop at best buy. They are local, they employ a bunch of local people keeping money in the community and they will price match online competitors. Yes, they have no clue what they are talking about, but that's what this board is for.
Since my new install only 3 months ago, i've returned a router, ethernet cable, tv, power strip and vaccum cleaner with no problem. Their return policy is excellent, similar to Amazon.
I'm not sure why you were flagged, but i wasn't and my returns were a little abnormal, but i also spent over 10 grand in there over 3 months. The must combat fraud and unfortunately you are caught in the middle, call the number and see whats' up.

You are smoking some kind of great CRACK if you think Best Buy's return policy is "similar to amazon". Are you willing to share it?biggrin.gif
post #9 of 253 Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 PM

I've never had a problem with either. So "in my experience" the returns are similar. Even if BB was a tougher on returns, I'd still buy there for the reasons stated above unless Amazon is significantly less money.

My Gear
post #10 of 253 Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:

I've never had a problem with either. So "in my experience" the returns are similar. Even if BB was a tougher on returns, I'd still buy there for the reasons stated above unless Amazon is significantly less money.
To each his own. I prefer to NOT shop at Best Buy for a variety of reasons, one of which is that they are just flat out ignorant of most products that they sell in my area. Compound that with their absurd return policy and I would spend a little bit MORE to buy from Amazon.
post #11 of 253 Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

To each his own. I prefer to NOT shop at Best Buy for a variety of reasons, one of which is that they are just flat out ignorant of most products that they sell in my area. Compound that with their absurd return policy and I would spend a little bit MORE to buy from Amazon.

I agree they know just about nothing about what they sell. The AV guy I had dealt with a few years ago and was pretty knowledeable was still there BUT they moved him into customer service. Now, nobody knows much of anything in the AV section anymore. I usually have a pretty good idea of what i want when i get there due to the boards and don't like to be swayed by salesman anyway.

But yes, To each his own.

My Gear
post #12 of 253 Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

dumb policy, and whats worse it sounds like they are paying someone to do this and track it for them. there's already another thread in this forum with the same topic.
http://www.theretailequation.com/

Its all based on your previous purchase / return behaviour at all sort of places - not just best buy. The OP should call TRE and get a copy of the info that they are using to report this condition to Best Buy.

-mick
post #13 of 253 Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 AM

Just returned a range extender. The lady knows us by name, that's how crazy it's been with us and electronics lately. Still no problem returning.

My Gear
post #14 of 253 Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 PM

i dont believe you are required to give your license as part of the return process if you have your receipt. At least not to the extent they can write information. I can understand identity verification, but to collect personal information has got privacy concerns written all over it...if I make a return i will just refuse to give them my ID...
post #15 of 253 Old 07-28-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

i will just refuse to give them my ID...
Precisely!! It is none of their business! If you have a valid receipt for the goods, that`s all you need.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #16 of 253 Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Precisely!! It is none of their business! If you have a valid receipt for the goods, that`s all you need.

Good luck with that. Their official policy is that ID is required even with a receipt.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Policies/Policy-Photo-ID-Required-for-All-Returns-Exchanges/td-p/244808

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #17 of 253 Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:

i dont believe you are required to give your license as part of the return process if you have your receipt. At least not to the extent they can write information. I can understand identity verification, but to collect personal information has got privacy concerns written all over it...if I make a return i will just refuse to give them my ID...

I fought it tooth and nail from them and was told by the store manager "too bad" (literally)
I told them that I would never shop there again and have been almost true to my word. one quick birthday present was the one exception.
I filed a complaint with American express about it and they simply applied a credit to my account for the $56 and told me to keep the item!
it's funny too because I used to spend thousands with them and now, nothing...
post #18 of 253 Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Yeah, I also jut returned something a few months ago....without a receipt, without a license.

If it doesn't work the first time, go back another time or for another associate. Be nice and it's amazing what people will do. Policy sucks, but we as consumers are powerful in numbers.
post #19 of 253 Old 07-29-2012, 12:50 AM

They will be gone someday. This is a death rattle.

No company can be this stupid and survive.
post #20 of 253 Old 07-29-2012, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yeah, I also jut returned something a few months ago....without a receipt, without a license.
If it doesn't work the first time, go back another time or for another associate. Be nice and it's amazing what people will do. Policy sucks, but we as consumers are powerful in numbers.

I prefer not to have to go back multiple times and kiss ass in order to return defective merchandise.
I solved the problem by simply not spending any money there to begin with.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #21 of 253 Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 15
I am not a BB fan. When my youngest son was 6 (10 now) his DS Lite failed 8 months into a paid for 2 year Warranty. I spent about $23k with them over a 4 year period and the DS was one of 3 bought, all with extended warranties. Walked into the Store and was greeted by a young and already rude manager in her early to mid twenties. Explained the situation with receipts and then was told that the sticker on the back with the printed Serial Number couldn't be read so they couldn't honor the warranty. I was floored. A design flaw and my son suffers. It wasn't the point that I could have bought every unit they had on the shelves in every Store in the city, it was the principle. The girl preceded to be rude about it which normally I can ignore, but then she started to get cross with me and my son started to cry . I had a moment of clarity, looked at my son and quietly said, stand up for yourself son. I then raised my voice loud enough to be heard across the extremely crowded Store without yelling and started to repeat the following, "I won't buy another BB extended warranty for the rest of my life! They wouldn't honor it!"

Well, my son stopped crying and just stood there with his mouth open. Within 30 seconds there were half a dozen BB employees standing around me TELLING me to stop. Then there was about nine. When I kept repeating myself and people started to crowd around, they asked me to leave the Store. It took me about four minutes to slowly walk to the door repeating my mantra. People were laughing at the BB employees because of how panicky they were. I then stood outside the doors doing it, and they threatened to call the police. I said go ahead, I will just keep this up until they get here. They were shocked that I called their bluff. After about another 5 minutes, and having about six employees surrounding us, they finally asked, "PLEZZZZZ, Mister, PLEZZZZZ can you just leave?". I decided it'd cost them much more that day than it did me, so I went across the street and bought my son a DS from WalMart.

Haven't shopped there since, although the wife has a few times. Lesson learned, don't let people take advantage of you Son.
post #22 of 253 Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Employ locally yes, but the money is going to corporate, not your local area, like a small locally owned shop.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #23 of 253 Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM

I've been shopping at BB for years and have never had any kind of an issue with a purchase or a return. I guess a lot can depend on the store's location and the type of people that are hired. With regard to sales people being lacking of product knowledge, I've experienced that many times at many different businesses. I'm amazed in general at how a business can employ a sales person and allow them to be ignorant of the product(s) they're selling. I'm also amazed at how owners and/or managers allow sales staff to be rude to customers too. Unfortunatly it seems these days a lot of buisiness are into making a sale today and don't care about tomorrow. I call that, throw away customer mentality!

Anyway, back to this return policy business. I've never received this notice and I return my fair share and certainly ask for price matching. I'm also a Premier Silver Member and I get 60 days ( which is extended ) for returns, credits, and price matches. I'd also like someone who got this notice to contact The Retail Equation (TRE) and obtain their "return history" report and then post it to AVS. Has anyone bothered to check out what the TRE website actually says about this notice? I have and their FAQ on the subject is pretty clear.

I've pasted it below:

FAQ: What are the Reasons Why a Consumer Would be Denied a Return?
The 1 percent of consumers who get denied exhibit return behaviors that mimic fraud or abuse or exhibit habits that are inconsistent with the retailer’s return policy.[
/B]

FYI: Employ locally translates to neighbors, friends, and people living in your community having a job and making a salary . That sure is putting money back into the local community, that will allow shopping at the small local stores. Think about it!
post #24 of 253 Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

Employ locally yes, but the money is going to corporate, not your local area, like a small locally owned shop.

If i buy locally I help ensure the health of the local store, thus doing my part to make sure the store keeps employing these local youths. They still have a job and they still spend their hard earned money in the town. I understand the profits go elsewhere but thats not what i'm concerned about. I want to keep the jobs here, I don't want any business to close.
sfl786 likes this.

My Gear
post #25 of 253 Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

this has GOT to be the most ignorant post I've ever read on this forum... you are wrong in sooooo many ways most of which have been pointed by other people but I will reiterate...

BB is NOT a local store (unless you're from Burnsville, Minnesota where the first store was opened or Richfield, Minnesota where the HQ is),
BB does NOT employ ALL locals (Most management comes from other stores and is transferred in from all over the country. Its kind of a requirement to be a retail manager.)
The money spent at BB CERTAINLY doesn't stay local. In fact, its not even a good place to work. According to several of my friends and numerous people I have intereviewed who have worked their over my years in retail, they treat their employees horribly.
BB and Amazons return policy are NOTHING alike... thats what this entire thread is about so I'm not going to go into detail.
BB will NOT match with Amazon's prices... neither will HH Gregg. Only other big box stores like walmart, sams, cost co. etc. NOT internet websites unless they have an actual store like JR's, Fry's etc..
Quote:

I think their policy is to ask for an ID, however, if you have a receipt most of the time employees do not ask for an ID. I dont blame you at all for refusing to give it to them. I would do the same thing. Especially if you payed with a credit card and are receiving credit back to that card (which you have in your hand) or are making an exchange for the same product. MOST of the time where you get into trouble at retail places like BB, walmart, sams, lowes, etc and end up getting flagged is you repeatedly attempt to make returns without receipts, accept store credit in return, AND/OR the items are large dollar amounts.

If you ask me, its counterproductive though for them to take info for large dollar items. Approx. 90% of all high theft items cost less than $50 for most companies I have worked for. Yet those are the items that companies will give straight cash for with a receipt and even sometimes without depending on the employee. Funny huh?

Also, the amount of money in the transaction makes a big difference. If a member of management gets involved or is required to override then the associate is best to go ahead and get it per policy. I dont know off the top of my head what their ceiling is for approval transactions. Walmart's is $40. Home Depots is $50, Lowes is $50... I can go on and on if you are interested. But pm me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Thats the way it SHOULD be... and I agree that it is none of their GD business.
post #26 of 253 Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8yp View Post

this has GOT to be the most ignorant post I've ever read on this forum... you are wrong in sooooo many ways most of which have been pointed by other people but I will reiterate...
BB is NOT a local store (unless you're from Burnsville, Minnesota where the first store was opened or Richfield, Minnesota where the HQ is),
BB does NOT employ ALL locals (Most management comes from other stores and is transferred in from all over the country. Its kind of a requirement to be a retail manager.)
The money spent at BB CERTAINLY doesn't stay local. In fact, its not even a good place to work. According to several of my friends and numerous people I have intereviewed who have worked their over my years in retail, they treat their employees horribly.
BB and Amazons return policy are NOTHING alike... thats what this entire thread is about so I'm not going to go into detail.
BB will NOT match with Amazon's prices... neither will HH Gregg. Only other big box stores like walmart, sams, cost co. etc. NOT internet websites unless they have an actual store like JR's, Fry's etc..
I think their policy is to ask for an ID, however, if you have a receipt most of the time employees do not ask for an ID. I dont blame you at all for refusing to give it to them. I would do the same thing. Especially if you payed with a credit card and are receiving credit back to that card (which you have in your hand) or are making an exchange for the same product. MOST of the time where you get into trouble at retail places like BB, walmart, sams, lowes, etc and end up getting flagged is you repeatedly attempt to make returns without receipts, accept store credit in return, AND/OR the items are large dollar amounts.
If you ask me, its counterproductive though for them to take info for large dollar items. Approx. 90% of all high theft items cost less than $50 for most companies I have worked for. Yet those are the items that companies will give straight cash for with a receipt and even sometimes without depending on the employee. Funny huh?
Also, the amount of money in the transaction makes a big difference. If a member of management gets involved or is required to override then the associate is best to go ahead and get it per policy. I dont know off the top of my head what their ceiling is for approval transactions. Walmart's is $40. Home Depots is $50, Lowes is $50... I can go on and on if you are interested. But pm me...
Thats the way it SHOULD be... and I agree that it is none of their GD business.

You are misunderstanding me. They don't employ all local, but they do employ local people. I know several of my kids friends who work there, and many others from the town. That "wage" money IS local and is spent locally. This is more important than where any of the "profits" end up. Cash flow through the town. You don't understand this? take econ 101
-I also don't care if working there is pleasurable, it's a job, it's a job that anyone can get, if you don't like it, get another one.
-Having a big box retail store there helps the tax base, which is good for everyone in the town. In our town it makes a HUGE difference.
-They also help the local school district.
-They typically do not price match internet. However, I got my LG tv price matched with amazon at the time and my denon avr with crutchfield. Yeah, I know their policy, but sometimes they use common sense.
-I don't care if their return policy is similar to Amazon's on paper or not, It works just the same for me. Never a problem, just the way i like it.

A lot of your post sounds like an employee scorned, or a big box employee that's not happy with their current situation.

If you can't understand the importance of brick and mortar to the town and the people, well, I can't help you with that, you'll need to go back to college, this is basic economics. And I will not even get into the ignorant comment.
sfl786 and ien2 like this.

My Gear
post #27 of 253 Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

You are misunderstanding me. They don't employ all local, but they do employ local people. I know several of my kids friends who work there, and many others from the town. That "wage" money IS local and is spent locally.

Not to mention the business contributing to the local tax base. Your points about money staying local are valid, not sure why some persons are hassling you about it. I won't get into the other aspects of the argument on where to buy.
post #28 of 253 Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM

This happened to me today. I am so pissed, cause I spend lots of money on Best Buy, but that is about to change.

Just FYI, I called The Retail Equation phone number, and they can give you a copy of your return history. I asked why this may have happened, and she asked if I used a store credit... I said No, I did an exchange and now I am returning the exchange. She said that is considered a store credit, and because I am doing a return on a store credit, it triggers the system as potential fraud.

This is such BS...
sfl786 likes this.
post #29 of 253 Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Quote:

You are smoking some kind of great CRACK if you think Best Buy's return policy is "similar to amazon". Are you willing to share it?biggrin.gif

"Never do a drug named after a part of your own ass." -- Dennis Leary
post #30 of 253 Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well guys, I hate to admit the following but its a true account of my experience with Best Buy. I have been looking on Amazon at purchasing a new bluray player for quite some time. I was almost ready to pull the trigger. One night last week my wife and I just happened to be eating dinner at a restaurant inside Concord Mills Mall which has a Best Buy in it. While walking around after dinner I decided to pop into the BB and check out their selection and prices on some bluray players. Amazon had the Sony BDP -S590 listed at $125.xx and I wasn't surprised at all. I got to talking to the employee (who was extremely inept btw) about them and I asked about price matching. He asked who with and I told him that I do 95% of my electronics shopping online and mostly on Amazon and that Amazon was selling the S590 for $105. He said sure we can price match that. I was thoroughly surprised so I pulled the trigger, gave in, and purchased it. If nothing else I wanted it fast and didn't want to wait on shipping.

I will add that I did see that bluray player priced at $105 IN that same Best Buy about a month ago so maybe thats why they were willing to do it but still... THEY PRICE MATCHED AMAZON!

As far as any other customer service... I hope I never have to return it but if I do I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Those of you who have kept up with this thread and my stances... dont worry. I STILL HATE big box stores and Best Buy in particular. I am however happy that I didnt have to wait for the mail like I'm waiting on an HDMI cable to replace the one I stole from another device to run my new Sony S590 lol. I bought several extras so as to not have to wait again when I decide to spur of the moment buy another nice new source.
Closed Thread Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page