Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer - Only $299 - Save 70% - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Great Found Deals > Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer - Only $299 - Save 70%
cacophonix's Avatar cacophonix 11:33 AM 01-13-2013
I bought this sub last week and it arrived from newegg without issues. It was double boxed and i didn't see any damage anywhere. Good job, Newegg. But unfortunately, it didn't work well in my open living room, so i put it on craigslist for $25 less than newegg and sold it the same day.
I tested it in another room where it worked much better. I can see why people love this sub. The output is very good, and has good controls with easy access. It does dig deep. The only negative thing i could say about this is the cabinet construction. It could be better. It failed my knock test big time. I didn't remove the woofer to check, but i don't think they have any kind of bracing in there. The cabinet is surprisingly light for its size. But then, i don't expect any big name brand to invest too much into cabinets which would make them heavier to ship. But for the sale price, i don't think you can do any better than this sub. For the vast majority, this is all the sub they can afford and handle. If you are an obsessive audiophile, you might want to invest a bit more and either buy from an internet direct company like hsu, svs or rythmik.

LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast 01:22 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post
If you are an obsessive audiophile, you might want to invest a bit more and either buy from an internet direct company like hsu, svs or rythmik.

If you're an obsessive audiophile, you're not looking at $300 subs. If you're a value-hunter like myself (and, apparently, many others on this thread), this is a great deal. Using my DSP1124P with a little nudge at 20Hz, I'm getting "sound" (mostly "feeling," at that level) starting at about 18Hz. I have another sub taking over at 40Hz, so I don't think my Klipsch will be overworked.

I'll be running REW again soon just for fun, but that's another thread.

I'll be curious to see what you replace this sub with and what you end up spending (you probably should have just gotten two! wink.gif).

Michael


SauceXX's Avatar SauceXX 01:47 PM 01-13-2013
I just upgraded from an H100 and couldn't be happier. I had considered a HSU VTF-2 MK4, but I've recently upgraded a few other components and didn't want to spend twice what the Klipsch cost. The sub is louder, less boomy, more precise, better with both HT and music and has a commanding presence the BIC did not. The one complaint I have is the same one that's been noted here already; that the port tube arrives loose. I was able to reseat the tube and when I get a chance I'll epoxy it. Kind of a pain but easier than sending it back and possibly getting the same problem in return.

As a side note, a few previous posters talked about the sub chuffing. I don't know what volume they're driving the sub but it's got to be at the max, which would blow my roof off. So far I haven't heard any chuffing and I really don't think I'll ever get it loud enough to find out.
Maniac2k's Avatar Maniac2k 02:33 PM 01-13-2013
Ok im a bargain hunter. I just hope the price drops to $299 before it goes oos permanently.
cacophonix's Avatar cacophonix 04:19 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

If you're an obsessive audiophile, you're not looking at $300 subs. If you're a value-hunter like myself (and, apparently, many others on this thread), this is a great deal. Using my DSP1124P with a little nudge at 20Hz, I'm getting "sound" (mostly "feeling," at that level) starting at about 18Hz. I have another sub taking over at 40Hz, so I don't think my Klipsch will be overworked.
I'll be running REW again soon just for fun, but that's another thread.
I'll be curious to see what you replace this sub with and what you end up spending (you probably should have just gotten two! wink.gif ).
Michael

I'm consider myself to be an obsessive audiophile who sadly has no deep pockets to indulge in this hobby as i would like to. So i try to keep an eye out for deals on products that punch way above their league. Like i mentioned in my post, i can see why this sub is popular. Just that it didn't work in my room ... i use audyssey to eq the bass, but it didn't sort out the issues fully. Maybe i need to use a DSP like yours. But for now my DIY ER18MTM that goes down to about ~35Hz will have to run in full range mode. I've a tc sounds LMS-12r/passive DIY in the works ... I'm hoping that would be the answer to my prayers. If not, there is always audiogon smile.gif
JDF1384's Avatar JDF1384 05:55 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac2k View Post

Thanks for the review! So you say its not built as well as other subs in this price range and you close with you wont find a better sub in this price range. So, if you could do everything over, would you get the klipsch or something else? If something else, which one? Thanks!

Well, as I said, I don't think you're going to find a better sub in the $300 - $400 range. I had considered the HSU STF-2, which is a well regarded sub, and the Lava LSP12. What sold me on this Klipsch sub (apart from the low price) was the Sound and Vision review here: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers

Now if this Klipsch sub was still selling for $700 I wouldn't even consider purchasing it. For that much money I would be looking at an HSU VTF-3 or Outlaw LFM-1EX. For the $350 I paid for this Klispch sub though, I'm quite happy. If I could go back I would certainly buy it again. If I had a bit more cash to spend I would have bought an HSU VTF-2 instead. Like SauceXX, I didn't want to spend twice the money for it though. Maybe in the future.

-Jeff
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 06:18 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF1384 View Post

Well, as I said, I don't think you're going to find a better sub in the $300 - $400 range. I had considered the HSU STF-2, which is a well regarded sub, and the Lava LSP12. What sold me on this Klipsch sub (apart from the low price) was the Sound and Vision review here: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers

Now if this Klipsch sub was still selling for $700 I wouldn't even consider purchasing it. For that much money I would be looking at an HSU VTF-3 or Outlaw LFM-1EX. For the $350 I paid for this Klispch sub though, I'm quite happy. If I could go back I would certainly buy it again. If I had a bit more cash to spend I would have bought an HSU VTF-2 instead. Like SauceXX, I didn't want to spend twice the money for it though. Maybe in the future.

-Jeff
You made the right choice. I got an stf2 first because I was impressed by the thought of an "upper crust" sub. It is good quality I guess. I only had it for 3 days. I have a small room 12x16 and I could barely hear it no matter what I did.
I got the RW and it kills the stf2. Much more output and just as accurate by my ears.
It cost me $110 to find that out. $43 to ship it to me and $67 to ship it back. So I have $409 in my RW the way I see it and I am still happy.
Maniac2k's Avatar Maniac2k 05:24 AM 01-18-2013
On sale for $299 again. Just ordered one.
davemex's Avatar davemex 08:01 AM 01-18-2013
I got to eager to get my speakers and ordered yesterday at $350. Contacted Newegg and after some "negotiations" they refunded the difference. Always a good company to work with!

Edited to add:

They're having a big speaker sale right now. There's lots of other good stuff to be had on discount if you poke around.
Shagz's Avatar Shagz 02:21 PM 01-19-2013
What cables are you guys using for this? i do not know where in my room to put it yet, just placed the order on the sub.
Will it be ok to order a 50ft cable in case i need to run it to he side of my couch?

Receiver will be the denon 1713.

Will order from monoprice.

thanks all.
Shagz's Avatar Shagz 02:21 PM 01-19-2013
What cables are you guys using for this? i do not know where in my room to put it yet, just placed the order on the sub.
Will it be ok to order a 50ft cable in case i need to run it to he side of my couch?

Receiver will be the denon 1713.

Will order from monoprice.

thanks all.
myoda's Avatar myoda 02:37 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

What cables are you guys using for this? i do not know where in my room to put it yet, just placed the order on the sub.
Will it be ok to order a 50ft cable in case i need to run it to he side of my couch?

Receiver will be the denon 1713.

Will order from monoprice.

thanks all.

Make sure you use a cable made of RG6 - much sturdier than RG59. Blue Jeans Cable is a good source also.

http://www.amazon.com/foot-Subwoofer-Cable-Tartan-brand/dp/B0038T37DC

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=5872&seq=1&format=2
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 04:53 PM 01-19-2013
Use the Monoprice cable he linked you.
Shagz's Avatar Shagz 05:15 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Use the Monoprice cable he linked you.

No degrade if I use a longer cable?

Thanks for the help
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 07:06 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

No degrade if I use a longer cable?

Thanks for the help
Not if you get the Monoprice one. You don't have to get the 100 footer though if you don't need that much.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2

It comes in 50, 75 and 100.
Shagz's Avatar Shagz 05:44 AM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Not if you get the Monoprice one. You don't have to get the 100 footer though if you don't need that much.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2

It comes in 50, 75 and 100.

Thanks, doing some mock placemsnts to see how much i need.

Are you using the Y-splitters with this cable or just right into the R chan of the sub?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 06:13 AM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz View Post

Thanks, doing some mock placemsnts to see how much i need.

Are you using the Y-splitters with this cable or just right into the R chan of the sub?
Usually you just hook up to the lfe port. What sub do you have?
Shagz's Avatar Shagz 06:27 AM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Usually you just hook up to the lfe port. What sub do you have?

Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer just ordered it yesterday
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 06:40 AM 01-20-2013
The instructions say "left and/or right". Neither is marked "lfe".
skidog's Avatar skidog 07:52 AM 01-20-2013
I have mine hooked into the left.
scipper77's Avatar scipper77 08:58 AM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The instructions say "left and/or right". Neither is marked "lfe".

Let me see if I understand this (I don't have the sub so excuse my ignorance) There is a port for left and a port for right, but there is only one speaker??

Or is there only one port on the sub that is labeled left and/or right?
skidog's Avatar skidog 09:38 AM 01-20-2013
There are 2 ports for line in, one is marked R the other L, I have my sub cable hooked to the one marked L.
Rasta Linus's Avatar Rasta Linus 09:40 AM 01-22-2013
I received my Klipsch RW-12D yesterday and that thing is very nice for 299 bucks. Nothing was loose or broken either. The thing was making my rug in front of it float from all the air it was pumping out. I believe that sub just completed my system.
Maniac2k's Avatar Maniac2k 07:06 AM 01-24-2013
Sub arrived in perfect condition. It works great and i love it!
Angler55's Avatar Angler55 07:40 AM 01-24-2013
Newegg has the Klipsch RW-12d for $299.99 and free shipping with the promo code.

Al
MNaudioguy's Avatar MNaudioguy 08:47 AM 01-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Newegg has the Klipsch RW-12d for $299.99 and free shipping with the promo code.

Al

What is the promo code? Also, not sure if this is the right forum, but I will ask anyway smile.gif Will 2 RW-12ds hit the low bass frequencies i need to compensate nicely for my towers. i am looking at purchasing Polk LSi15s for fronts and LSi7s for surrounds. I think the 15s have a decent base frequency and want something to pick up where they leave off. I am guessing I will probably need to get one of the more expensive 15s (HSU, PSA, etc.) but am secretly hoping I might be able to get by with 2 12d's in the short term. Thoughts?
blake18's Avatar blake18 09:05 AM 01-24-2013
Oh hell yes they will. Two will tear the paint off the walls.
MNaudioguy's Avatar MNaudioguy 09:11 AM 01-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

Oh hell yes they will. Two will tear the paint off the walls.

At the right frequency levels? Will they hit the lows that I need. For example, someone in another thread said to hit the ranges 20 to 80 hz i would need to get a more expensive sub. I guess my assumption was that even 2 12ds would not get to that range or a range for the "deep" bass. Is that assumption a accurate one?
Angler55's Avatar Angler55 11:22 AM 01-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

What is the promo code? Also, not sure if this is the right forum, but I will ask anyway smile.gif Will 2 RW-12ds hit the low bass frequencies i need to compensate nicely for my towers. i am looking at purchasing Polk LSi15s for fronts and LSi7s for surrounds. I think the 15s have a decent base frequency and want something to pick up where they leave off. I am guessing I will probably need to get one of the more expensive 15s (HSU, PSA, etc.) but am secretly hoping I might be able to get by with 2 12d's in the short term. Thoughts?

You have to sign up for there email special to use the promo code so it wouldn't do me any good to give it to you. All you have to do is go to Newegg and sign up and they will send you emails with the promo codes.
I have no idea if this sub is what you're looking for as I'm trying to figure out what sub I'm going to get and never having owned one I wouldn't be the person to answer that.

Al
LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast 11:59 AM 01-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post


At the right frequency levels? Will they hit the lows that I need. For example, someone in another thread said to hit the ranges 20 to 80 hz i would need to get a more expensive sub. I guess my assumption was that even 2 12ds would not get to that range or a range for the "deep" bass. Is that assumption a accurate one?

More subs doesn't equate to deeper bass, just more evenly-distributed bass (which is at least as important). That said, these subs get close to 20Hz, so there's plenty of rumble when you need it.

If you need to get lower, you'll need to spend more. Probably more than two of these, in fact.


Tags: Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Klipsch
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop