Klipsch RW-12d Subwoofer - Only $299 - Save 70% - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 656 Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
file.php?n=9013&w=s
Klipsch RW-12d

70% OFF | MSRP: $999.99
Free Shipping
SanchoPanza likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Member
 
beergut99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I owned the RW-12d for a mouth now, its a good sub for the money, the only problem is port noise, which is very annoying at times.
I hear this port noise mostly with movies, rarely with music.. My next sub will be a sealed type unit.. I should of ordered the EMO x-10, I think I would of been happier in the long run...
beergut99 is offline  
post #3 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
The X-Ref 10 is really not a good sub for HT. Music, yes, but it doesn't have the necessary extension to properly convey a blu-ray soundtrack.

A couple of nice sealed subs are the Rumba 12 and SB12-NSD. Both will handle music and movies, so you aren't giving up anything with either of them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #4 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
The klipsch sub at $300 represents the best sub value I know of. If you are getting port noise you are taking the unit to its limits in your room, Either your room is large or you are listening to higher volumes than this ported Klipsch is designed to deliver. However, as Jim said - don't second guess your decision with another budget sub. You cannot expect a sealed 10" sub to come close in output to the ported 12".

Read the Sound and Vision 2007 subwoofer shootout and understand that the klipsch compared reasonably well (midpack) with four other popular $700 internet subs.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers

If you are taking the klipsch to the port chuffing limits with much more output desired you are going to need to buy a pair of quality 15s or maybe even 18s to be happy. If you are just barely encountering their limits a second unit may be just what the doctor ordered. I know of no better value at the price point --- but there surely are better subs! The oulaw lfm-ex1 that was measured in the sound and vision review scored a bit better than the klipsch but it is also $650 at cheapest on sale - as is the new HSU offering. The new SVS offering is a bit more. Once you get to the $800 to $1000 sub range there are subs that will really outpreform the Klispch, but at the $500 and less pricepoint your going to have to find a pretty good unique sale to find a significantly better sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs/0_20

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #5 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Member
 
beergut99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it true that I need to set the LFE (ch .1 offset) to -10db, I have tried this and I lose the big bang at low listening levels, but get port noise at higher volume levels. Its hard to judge, cause its all unreal ( bangs and booms), so I go by what sounds good to me, I just might go for a second sub.
beergut99 is offline  
post #6 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,410
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

The X-Ref 10 is really not a good sub for HT. Music, yes, but it doesn't have the necessary extension to properly convey a blu-ray soundtrack.
A couple of nice sealed subs are the Rumba 12 and SB12-NSD. Both will handle music and movies, so you aren't giving up anything with either of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The klipsch sub at $300 represents the best sub value I know of. If you are getting port noise you are taking the unit to its limits in your room, Either your room is large or you are listening to higher volumes than this ported Klipsch is designed to deliver. However, as Jim said - don't second guess your decision with another budget sub. You cannot expect a sealed 10" sub to come close in output to the ported 12".
Read the Sound and Vision 2007 subwoofer shootout and understand that the klipsch compared reasonably well (midpack) with four other popular $700 internet subs.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers
If you are taking the klipsch to the port chuffing limits with much more output desired you are going to need to buy a pair of quality 15s or maybe even 18s to be happy. If you are just barely encountering their limits a second unit may be just what the doctor ordered. I know of no better value at the price point --- but there surely are better subs! The oulaw lfm-ex1 that was measured in the sound and vision review scored a bit better than the klipsch but it is also $650 at cheapest on sale - as is the new HSU offering. The new SVS offering is a bit more. Once you get to the $800 to $1000 sub range there are subs that will really outpreform the Klispch, but at the $500 and less pricepoint your going to have to find a pretty good unique sale to find a significantly better sub.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs/0_20

I agree with these guys. I used to own the RW12 as well and it's an awesome sub for anywhere near the $$$ - especially if you're only considering new.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #7 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
 
streamerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The klipsch sub at $300 represents the best sub value I know of. If you are getting port noise you are taking the unit to its limits in your room, Either your room is large or you are listening to higher volumes than this ported Klipsch is designed to deliver. However, as Jim said - don't second guess your decision with another budget sub. You cannot expect a sealed 10" sub to come close in output to the ported 12".
Read the Sound and Vision 2007 subwoofer shootout and understand that the klipsch compared reasonably well (midpack) with four other popular $700 internet subs.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers
If you are taking the klipsch to the port chuffing limits with much more output desired you are going to need to buy a pair of quality 15s or maybe even 18s to be happy. If you are just barely encountering their limits a second unit may be just what the doctor ordered. I know of no better value at the price point --- but there surely are better subs! The oulaw lfm-ex1 that was measured in the sound and vision review scored a bit better than the klipsch but it is also $650 at cheapest on sale - as is the new HSU offering. The new SVS offering is a bit more. Once you get to the $800 to $1000 sub range there are subs that will really outpreform the Klispch, but at the $500 and less pricepoint your going to have to find a pretty good unique sale to find a significantly better sub.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs/0_20
Absolutely spot on analysis! Agree 100% that at $300 shipped to your door it is impossible to beat. A lot of people keep forgetting that their ROOM is a HUGE HUGE HUGE factor into how well a sub will perform!
streamerlover is offline  
post #8 of 656 Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
MysticalJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have 2 of these in my dedicated theater and I am absolutely amazed and happy with them - especially at this price point. Think you can get two of these for the price of one that rates slightly better. At this price - a better comparison would be the 2 Klipsh vs. one of the other subs wink.gif

One note - I removed the oval Klipsh logo from the front (just glued on) because they can cause a rattling noise.
MysticalJet is offline  
post #9 of 656 Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Hey Jim,

Since you have a Jamo Sub 650 (also $300) on order --- any chance of you picking up one of these RW-12Ds to compare to each other in a faceoff. I think there could be a lot of interest in a faceoff of these two models.

Or if you wouldn't mind shipping me your Jamo Sub 650 after you are finished - - I'll pay return shipping to you and I'll borrow my brother's RW-12D again to compare them directly with some measurements.

No pressure --- of course...it's just an idea.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #10 of 656 Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Since you have a Jamo Sub 650 (also $300) on order --- any chance of you picking up one of these RW-12Ds to compare to each other in a faceoff. I think there could be a lot of interest in a faceoff of these two models.
Or if you wouldn't mind shipping me your Jamo Sub 650 after you are finished - - I'll pay return shipping to you and I'll borrow my brother's RW-12D again to compare them directly with some measurements.
No pressure --- of course...it's just an idea.

No pressure, except on my wallet. tongue.gif

My MO for the reviews has always been to select somewhat obscure brands, or those that are known but haven't gotten much exposure. The RW-12d really doesn't qualify as either, which is primarily why I've stayed away from it. That, plus the fact I'm now at the point where I no longer have to buy the review units -- the manufacturers send them to me free of charge -- but even with that I somehow doubt Klipsch would send me a sub to review (I never actually broached the topic with them though). I made an exception for the Sub 650 only because at $300 it did seem like quite a deal (Jamo never responded to my request for a review unit).

That being said... from what I can tell the Sub 650 might be a discontinued model. Places like Amazon and BH Photo list it as out of stock or discontinued, and unlike the RW-12d (and the S10.3) this one seems to be unavailable. Well, except for Vanns anyway. Do you know if it's end of life?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #11 of 656 Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Newbie
 
dkremanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't want to start a new thread, but newegg has the Klipsch RW-12d on sale today through the 12th for 299 again! Just thought I would let yall know since the last time I was looking into this sub, it was 339 on newegg!
dkremanj is offline  
post #12 of 656 Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Adding to this thread is fine. With as often as the RW12-d goes on sale it would probably be silly to create a new thread each time.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #13 of 656 Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

$299 again, until 8/23 (guess they still have a couple left). wink.gif

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-Klipsch-_-82780078$


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #14 of 656 Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
swizzchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hows this compare to the BIC subs like f-100, pl-200?
swizzchard is offline  
post #15 of 656 Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

hows this compare to the BIC subs like f-100, pl-200?

For HT I would probably go with the Klipsch - it seems to be well liked by those who've purchased one, and the spec's are quite good for the price. There's also the DSP, which can be a nice feature to have.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #16 of 656 Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Member
 
pressedmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
and it's back on for $299 at Newegg until 9/3
link
pressedmeat is offline  
post #17 of 656 Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

I'm in. Yesterday it was $299 (as it has been all month). Last night it went up to $349 and I got all bent out of shape. Today it's back to $299 (supposedly for "two days only"). We'll see how much more it drops after mine's delivered. wink.gif


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #18 of 656 Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Newbie
 
boodahfinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$279.99 at Newegg which I think is the lowest it's been.
boodahfinger is offline  
post #19 of 656 Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

That was fast. It's $349 again already. Hope you got one when you could.


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #20 of 656 Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232
And now.... $299! Changes faster than the weather. FWIW, I love mine.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #21 of 656 Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Member
 
radiofrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking at the PSA XS15, HSU VTF-3 MK 4, Rythmik F12, and Rumba 12, but I just stumbled across this thread. So here's a noob question: would I be better off with 2 "compromise" subs or one more ideal sub? I've never had more than one sub, so I don't know in practice what kind of difference it makes to have 2.

Denon AVR-3310ci
Front: B&W 685
Center: B&W HTM61
Surround: B&W M1
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G10
radiofrog is offline  
post #22 of 656 Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
joehonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrog View Post

I've been looking at the PSA XS15, HSU VTF-3 MK 4, Rythmik F12, and Rumba 12, but I just stumbled across this thread. So here's a noob question: would I be better off with 2 "compromise" subs or one more ideal sub? I've never had more than one sub, so I don't know in practice what kind of difference it makes to have 2.
If you want 2 than wait for the 279 sale price.
joehonest is offline  
post #23 of 656 Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I bought one of these 3 months ago and love it, want to get another one, but one question I have is that another post said they did not like the " Port Noise " of which I don't understand, maybe their sub was not configured in their receiver correctly, or set-up with the proper Frequency for their room. I think that this sub at it's price point is tough to beat.
TheaterChad is online now  
post #24 of 656 Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrog View Post

I've been looking at the PSA XS15, HSU VTF-3 MK 4, Rythmik F12, and Rumba 12, but I just stumbled across this thread. So here's a noob question: would I be better off with 2 "compromise" subs or one more ideal sub? I've never had more than one sub, so I don't know in practice what kind of difference it makes to have 2.

How big is your room? What would you be using the sub for? Music, movies, games, some combination of two or more?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #25 of 656 Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I bought one of these 3 months ago and love it, want to get another one, but one question I have is that another post said they did not like the " Port Noise " of which I don't understand, maybe their sub was not configured in their receiver correctly, or set-up with the proper Frequency for their room. I think that this sub at it's price point is tough to beat.

Port noise, or chuffing as it's often referred to, is when the driver is trying to move more air out of the port then it's capable of doing. It's never good, but most ported subwoofers will do it at some point. Generally speaking the RW-12d is pretty well behaved, but if pushed too hard it will make some noise. If you keep it within the limits then you should be fine.

From what I've read most people are pretty happy with the RW-12d, so perhaps it's not a huge issue.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #26 of 656 Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Member
 
radiofrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

How big is your room? What would you be using the sub for? Music, movies, games, some combination of two or more?

15' x 20' x 8' with a short 8' hallway leading out. (so 2400+ ft^3)

About even time with music, TV, and games, but I put most emphasis on music... I like really clean, sharp bass for that.

Denon AVR-3310ci
Front: B&W 685
Center: B&W HTM61
Surround: B&W M1
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G10
radiofrog is offline  
post #27 of 656 Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
joehonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Port noise, or chuffing as it's often referred to, is when the driver is trying to move more air out of the port then it's capable of doing. It's never good, but most ported subwoofers will do it at some point. Generally speaking the RW-12d is pretty well behaved, but if pushed too hard it will make some noise. If you keep it within the limits then you should be fine.
From what I've read most people are pretty happy with the RW-12d, so perhaps it's not a huge issue.

I have heard port noise from lesser subs, and like you say Jim, its only when pushed passed the subs design limits. if the sub is chuffing you will only hear it when there is a low (hz) rumbel at high volume that lasts for a length of time with no other sound from other speakers to mask over it... Over kill is a good thing when it comes to buying subs!! Two RW-12d should take down any roof, there are bigger subs that cost more and will sound cleaner and clearer.. Some lowend subs sound as if there in another room in the house by compare!!
joehonest is offline  
post #28 of 656 Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,573
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrog View Post

15' x 20' x 8' with a short 8' hallway leading out. (so 2400+ ft^3)

That's a pretty sizable room. I don't think you'll find a single RW-12d will be able to fill that much space without struggling. You may end up having to push it pretty hard, which means you probably would hear some port chuffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrog View Post

About even time with music, TV, and games, but I put most emphasis on music... I like really clean, sharp bass for that.

From your original list I would look long and hard at the PSA XS15. The bass is deep, powerful and can get loud. I think that -- or the slightly more expensive XV15 -- would suit your needs quite well.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #29 of 656 Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrog View Post

I've been looking at the PSA XS15, HSU VTF-3 MK 4, Rythmik F12, and Rumba 12, but I just stumbled across this thread. So here's a noob question: would I be better off with 2 "compromise" subs or one more ideal sub? I've never had more than one sub, so I don't know in practice what kind of difference it makes to have 2.

People find there are advantages to having two, or even three, subs distributed around the room, rather than one big sub. This is because a the room has a harmonic resonance with a sub that depends on where it is placed, how far from each wall and each corner. If you have only one sub, it tends to sound a lot louder for certain notes - the ones amplified by its harmonics. If you have two or three subs distributed around the room, each of their harmonics will tend to be different from the others, giving a more balanced, flatter frequency response at the listeners' ears. No amount of eq can compensate for this as well as adding additional subs. So almost always two medium subs outperform one big sub. Better, still, though, would be one great sub plus two medium ones.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #30 of 656 Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Member
 
radiofrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

That's a pretty sizable room. I don't think you'll find a single RW-12d will be able to fill that much space without struggling. You may end up having to push it pretty hard, which means you probably would hear some port chuffing.
From your original list I would look long and hard at the PSA XS15. The bass is deep, powerful and can get loud. I think that -- or the slightly more expensive XV15 -- would suit your needs quite well.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the XS15. And I forgot about the SB12-NSD you mentioned. Do you like the XS15 more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

If you have two or three subs distributed around the room, each of their harmonics will tend to be different from the others, giving a more balanced, flatter frequency response at the listeners' ears. No amount of eq can compensate for this as well as adding additional subs. So almost always two medium subs outperform one big sub. Better, still, though, would be one great sub plus two medium ones.

Okay, that's kind of what I gathered. On further thinking, I'm guessing I probably would be disappointed if I compromised on quality to get 2 subs now. Probably better to get one I really like now and add another later.

Denon AVR-3310ci
Front: B&W 685
Center: B&W HTM61
Surround: B&W M1
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G10
radiofrog is offline  
Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Klipsch

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off