when is the best time to get a deal on HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thinking about picking up a panasonic viera st50

should i get it now, or wait til later in the year for a deal (black friday or christmas?) or price drop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
just wait for sales to pop up. why wait till the holidays to save a little extra for a lot extra hassle?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I recently bought an Epson 3010 projector and a Sony BDP-S790 BD player at a local Best Buy. I bought these on the Sunday before July 4th. I had them price match P. C. Richard for the projector, while I didn't get a price match on the BD, since everyone had it for the same price. P. C. Richard is a local retailer for me. Once the prices were lowered for the July 4th sales, I went and got these price matched to J&R prices. J&R is a local retailer for me. I received a $70.00 + taxes refund on the projector and I received a $22.00 + taxes refund on the BD player.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 22
If you really want the best, best deal, wait until next May-July. IF you can wait that long, and if there are any Viera ST50's left to sell in the size you want. Remember what happened to KURO. I think plasma finally has peaked. Most manufacturer's resources will now be steered toward OLED or Crystal LED. That is where their new bread and butter will be. LCD's used to be profitable, (more than plasma). Now most big names are spinning off their (money losing) LCD divisions.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336 View Post

thinking about picking up a panasonic viera st50
should i get it now, or wait til later in the year for a deal (black friday or christmas?) or price drop?
I suggest that you can wait for sometime,Setp.this year many company will release its new products,panasonic may be have some price drop!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Black Friday has been the best time of year Hands Down, lot's of big time deals!

It's difficult, you want a tv now, or if you can wait, Black Friday is best time to buy, but new models come out right around the corner too...
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^For the last couple or three years the above only applies if you're looking for the most inexpensive entry level sets. mfgs. release special decontented "Black Friday Specials" and there are usually great deals on things like 50" 720p plasmas. Mid to high end models are not discounted much if any, although there are sometimes attractive finanincing deals.

If you want the best price on a good set, discontinued models at model changeover time are your best bet, as Tazishere stated, but you run a high risk of losing availability if you wait too long. Panasonic has reduced production this year specifically to avoid lots of leftovers next year when the new models come out.

I've been selling tvs for 6 years now and have seen the trend away from discounting on regularly stocked mid to high end sets take place. Also, most retailers are now suspending price matching during the BF weekend.

Steve S.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^^^^^
Low incomers are really taking the beating again...
The rich never feel the plain...

Where are all the Labor day super sales, the sales seem no better then weekend sales..
It seems this year is not a great year for super sales, I hope this is not an indicator for Black Friday..

It just maybe they really can't sell it for much less without taking a loss..
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM

If you keep searching the net you will find a deal that will make you happy and that you can live with. I hate black Friday as you have to deal with people acting like barbaric savages. My time at the holidays is much more valuable to me spending it with family than standing in lines for multiple hours with people hoping to get that deal on one or two of a certain model in stock. Watch out for the old bait and switch. Just keep checking the net and you will find that deal. Also keep checking Sam's Club, B J's and Costco.