Cerwin Vega CV-5000 pro audio amp for $680 at guitarcenter.com using 15% off couponcode lday15 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your very welcome. Thats what these forums are for, sharing knowledge and helping each other avoid problems. lol. I bought fans that didnt work but they were 2.50 each from china lol. Then i found the coolermaster.
Most of the time a cheap computer fan will do the job.

The amps are a little heavy for hovering LOL. I just like to make them light up like the cheap pyle and gli pro amps. Makes for a really cool blue atmosphere in the living room running four lighted up amps like this one.

My front led lights consume some power so the fans run a tad slower than without the lights.

Another trick is to use a 24 volt dc to dc converter to power the fans. four five dollars each, you can dial in whatever voltage and speed you want on the ORIGINAL fans.
MemX likes this.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 AM

I call it , AMPLIFIER CORNER LOADING, LOL.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
post #33 of 58 Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Eight of those. Wow. What are you running with eight 5000 watt amps?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #34 of 58 Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 PM

http://www.design-mate.com/

This is the company that makes the CV 5000 guts, as well as licences its amplifiers to the names of american audio, Samson , Cerwin Vega, B52 , Audiophony, and many other brands. It is a very good quality company and they have some good other products.

No its not better than a crest CA 18. but for home audio, what you need a CA 18 for? Rather have four of these, for the same price. Lots more flexibility to overkill everything.

Archea, I just like to run lots of subwoofers. I now use 10 sealed units, and 6 ported. Total of 6 15 inch 2 12 inch and 8 10 inch subwoofers. It sounds incredible! I run them with 2 pairs of klipsh rf 5 and two pairs of yamaha yst two way speakers. The speakers all have 8 inch drivers so i got 12 8 inch bass driver in the speaker also.

I can pretty much dial in any sound I want. I can create the highest degree of sound quality, or do hair tricks in my living room. smile.gif

post #35 of 58 Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Earlier I posted a fan solution being a five dollar part you can order from china with free shipping. There are other devices that are similar. In any event this one allows you to adjust the output voltage from 1 volt to 40 volt , from a 1 to 40 volt supply. I ordered one and it worked as expected. I used mine to adjust the voltage to 12 volts for front lights, but It can be used for any fan or led light purpose. Here you can see it adjusted to 11 volts and you just put in in the power lines.

post #36 of 58 Old 10-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Here you can see it again where i dropped it in the back of the unit before putting the cover on one of my samson sx 3200

post #37 of 58 Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM

There is a tiny screw on the blue ceramic part that can be turned to adjust the voltage. Here you can use the original fans without buying new ones, and adjust the voltage to get the fans running, and also adjust speed by increasing voltage. In the case of the cerwin vega CV 5000 you probably need a start voltage of at least 15 volts where they will run at approx half speed.

The ebay sellers name is on the prior picture if you want to use this device. Now that I have tested it, and found it to be OK. i ordered 10 more. They take near 5 to six weeks to arrive
but you dont need to buy fans anymore to get an acceptable fan speed and quiet operation for home audio use.

A five dollar investment well worth it!!

post #38 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

There is a tiny screw on the blue ceramic part that can be turned to adjust the voltage. Here you can use the original fans without buying new ones, and adjust the voltage to get the fans running, and also adjust speed by increasing voltage. In the case of the cerwin vega CV 5000 you probably need a start voltage of at least 15 volts where they will run at approx half speed.

The ebay sellers name is on the prior picture if you want to use this device. Now that I have tested it, and found it to be OK. i ordered 10 more. They take near 5 to six weeks to arrive
but you dont need to buy fans anymore to get an acceptable fan speed and quiet operation for home audio use.

A five dollar investment well worth it!!

Great info. I must not be looking for the right thing, john. Where is the ebay seller name, or...what is it? Thanks!biggrin.gif
post #39 of 58 Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160995621268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here is the link as long as the listing lasts. I have the seller in my purchases list, so if the listing ever dies, I can find it again. Some sell these for near 10 bucks, this one is under 5, buy a few while they are there, you can always sell them to others.
blah450 likes this.

post #40 of 58 Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, John. Just realized I did not see your post #31 with the seller's name.
I was too focused on post 35 and 36...doh!!
post #41 of 58 Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM

These type of units are commonly referred to as an LM 2596. They can be had a lot cheaper if you do not want the digital meter showing voltage output. Search for lm 2596 to see many different types. Both fans could be put on one unit, or you could give each fan its own. If i would have found these units before I changed the fans to coolermaster led pc fans, I would have stuck to the original fans.

post #42 of 58 Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM

Liked: 22
Sorry about this question but I'm not following the mod... So I can buy cooler master 3-pin computer fans and they plug in and replace the existing high noise fans or buy the voltage regulator and turn down the speed on the existing ones?

Do I need to splice this voltage regulator into the wiring of the existing fans or does it need to be mounted ahead of it somewhere on the control board? I read that the cv is supposed to have variable speed fans but the only setting mine has from factory is turbo...

I need to do something about this noisy cv5000. There is no reason to have fans this loud. I've got a custom computer that has quieter fans that move more air than the CV amp has.
post #43 of 58 Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymachyne View Post

Sorry about this question but I'm not following the mod... So I can buy cooler master 3-pin computer fans and they plug in and replace the existing high noise fans or buy the voltage regulator and turn down the speed on the existing ones?

Do I need to splice this voltage regulator into the wiring of the existing fans or does it need to be mounted ahead of it somewhere on the control board? I read that the cv is supposed to have variable speed fans but the only setting mine has from factory is turbo...

I need to do something about this noisy cv5000. There is no reason to have fans this loud. I've got a custom computer that has quieter fans that move more air than the CV amp has.

Hey there, Toymachyne.
I do not have the CV amp, so I can not confirm if the CoolerMaster fans in question will fit.
I know that with a replacement fan I would try to get a fluid bearing replacement fan that is same size as stock and has same specs as far as voltage (24/12, etc), amperage, and equal cfm or better (and can maybe move this cfm at a lower rpm than stock!).
However, you should be able to splice the regulator into the line going to the stock fans and regulate voltage going to fans...thus being able to go to lower rpm, and hopefully, less noise.
Of course, this won't account for shi**y sleeves or bearings or defective fans if that might be the case in the CV sample you have.
I know my first IPR had a defective fan...second unit has been WAY quieter from Day 1.
Be careful to monitor amp case temps if going with a diff fan or modifying rpm of stock/new fan.

Holy grail scenario would be to match cfm rating of stock fan while being much quieter operation, eh?rolleyes.gif

On another note, are those computer fans the same size as the amp fans?

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions?
post #44 of 58 Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

Hey there, Toymachyne.
I do not have the CV amp, so I can not confirm if the CoolerMaster fans in question will fit.
I know that with a replacement fan I would try to get a fluid bearing replacement fan that is same size as stock and has same specs as far as voltage (24/12, etc), amperage, and equal cfm or better (and can maybe move this cfm at a lower rpm than stock!).
However, you should be able to splice the regulator into the line going to the stock fans and regulate voltage going to fans...thus being able to go to lower rpm, and hopefully, less noise.
Of course, this won't account for shi**y sleeves or bearings or defective fans if that might be the case in the CV sample you have.
I know my first IPR had a defective fan...second unit has been WAY quieter from Day 1.
Be careful to monitor amp case temps if going with a diff fan or modifying rpm of stock/new fan.

Holy grail scenario would be to match cfm rating of stock fan while being much quieter operation, eh?rolleyes.gif

On another note, are those computer fans the same size as the amp fans?

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions?

I will try to get some fans. Not sure if the power requirement has to be the same so long as the fans don't draw more power than the existing ones. At least that's how it works with computer fans. Maybe I will do both mods and see how it goes. Thanks for your guidance.
post #45 of 58 Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 AM

The voltage regulator gets spliced in to the power lines of the fans.
You can see me using one in the back of this Samson SX 3200, where i dropped it in and just left it in its static bag. you should see the red led readout showing it adjusted to 11 volts here. I have more pics of the regulator installed on the Samson SX 3200 thread I made.

This regulator has screw in terminals for wire in and wire out , so no soldering for positive and neg leads. You can use one for both fans, as the regulator is good for up to 2 amp and 15 watts. Cheaper units are available if 5 dollars is too much LOL. You can give up the led readout, and in another step you can give up the screw in terminals if you like soldering.

So positive and neg lead of each fan power output, would go to the input side of the regulator. then from output of regulator to the Fan itself. Then just adjust the small screw on the blue ceramic block to adjust output. NO need to change fans. With the cv 5000 fans about 15 volt will start them up.

post #46 of 58 Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CoolerMaster-120mm-Fan-Blue-LED-A12025-12CB-3BN-F1-/310393028251?pt=US_Computer_Case_Fans&hash=item4844ddbe9b

With the voltage regulator you need not change the fans at all. If you want to change the fans I used these simple cooler master fans which were 9 dollars each, I wired both in series to one fan connector output, leaving the other one empty for my led lighting. The model number of this cooler master fan is in the link listing. You can pay lots more for fans if you want too, but the result will be the same. No more fan to hear. Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTU1YTAyNTEwNTFhOGU4NjEwNmVlNzA1MWNhZDY1MjA1OWVhfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT0xMC81LzEzIDE6NDUgQU0=

post #47 of 58 Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-DC-4-5-40V-1-2-35V-Converter-Step-down-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-/370810304705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56560438c1

Here is another voltage regulator. No digital readout, but still adjustable for output and therefore fan speed, with this one you can hook it up without cutting your fan wires if you buy a few to get the extra two pin fan plugs. If you buy two of these and rob one unit of the two pin fan plug wires you can hook up your original fans without cutting the wires. Again these are cheaper so two of these will still be five dollar solution.
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

post #48 of 58 Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-DC-4-5-40V-1-2-35V-Converter-Step-down-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-/370810304705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56560438c1

Here is another voltage regulator. No digital readout, but still adjustable for output and therefore fan speed, with this one you can hook it up without cutting your fan wires if you buy a few to get the extra two pin fan plugs. If you buy two of these and rob one unit of the two pin fan plug wires you can hook up your original fans without cutting the wires. Again these are cheaper so two of these will still be five dollar solution.
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Wouldn't in need 4 of these for the cv5000?
post #49 of 58 Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM

I have not opened up my case yet but can someone confirm if the fans are 2 pin or 3 pin? I'm seeing a mix of both products on this site.

I've found these but they are 3 pin... Will they work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O8I474/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1385086490&sr=8-2&pi=SX200
post #50 of 58 Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 159

Guys, I cannot seem to unsubscribe from this thread-and I want to continue to be alerted to great found deals forum.  I think that means you guys should not be posting on this thread once the deal is gone, rather on a dedicated thread in the correct area of the forum. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #51 of 58 Old 11-24-2013, 04:06 AM

The pins on the cv 5000 amplifiers , and all old school amplifiers with HPA electronics guts, have the two pin fan connectors.

The cv 5000 would take one of the (fan plug type) regulators per channel. You don't need to buy extra to get the plugs as i stated previous as it comes
with two two plug fan wires. Therefore you plug your fan in one side and join the two plug wires together and plug in to the fan power and the other side of the
regulator.

As for deals on the CV 5000!! Come on man!! its is a deal everyday at 799 delivered to your door seeing as the american audio 6001 and b52 us 6000 are the identical amplifier for 1200 each!!!!. However, you can still make offers at Sonic fiber or any dealer for a better price!!!. Therefore the deal is not gone lol!!. Is 50 or 100 dollars really going to stop people from buying this AMP? Especially seeing as it is the cheapest amplifier available.

Ok everyone, Sound of mind , is going to give us a link to where we all are suppose to post, and this thread is now closed!. LOL

post #52 of 58 Old 11-24-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 159

As for deals on the CV 5000!! Come on man!! its is a deal everyday at 799 delivered to your door seeing as the american audio 6001 and b52 us 6000 are the identical amplifier for 1200 each!!!!. However, you can still make offers at Sonic fiber or any dealer for a better price!!!. Therefore the deal is not gone lol!!. Is 50 or 100 dollars really going to stop people from buying this AMP? Especially seeing as it is the cheapest amplifier available.

Ok everyone, Sound of mind , is going to give us a link to where we all are suppose to post, and this thread is now closed!. LOL

Well, OK then.  For sure this amp is deserving of its own permanent thread, no? ;)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501377/the-official-cerwin-vega-cv-5000-pro-audio-amp#post_23989282

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #53 of 58 Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks John for the advise! I have been away from the forum for a while. I finally got around to finishing my two cabinets with my 4 jl13w7s. I am currently using the ep4000 for now and my subs are just laughing at the amp!. My order of the cv5000 is scheduled to arrive today so I will see what that bad boy can do. I will probably order another one in the future. If you are down my way, you are always welcome to come by to check them out. Based on what you have going, it pales in comparison.
post #54 of 58 Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 AM

Here are some photos of my sub builds!
post #55 of 58 Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Thats' a nice setup. I really like the look of those JL subs!

Where's your build thread or cabinet design thread for those subs?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #56 of 58 Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Thanks, still a work in progress. Sorry, I didn't start a build thread! I just built these based off all the research I got on these forums. They are nothing special. got the shape using stacked plywood I learned from the form. The cabinets are on the small side of what is ideal for them sealed, but I was going more for form than function. They do still sound great as is though.
post #57 of 58 Old 01-08-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Thinking about getting one or two of these to possibly replace my Behringer amps.

Did anybody come up with a quiet fan mod?

Thanks..
post #58 of 58 Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Thinking about getting one or two of these to possibly replace my Behringer amps.

Did anybody come up with a quiet fan mod?

Thanks..

Look up in this thread... I've still yet to do it. I just don't want to get into something that I can't handle...
Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier , Cerwin Vega Brand

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page