Cerwin Vega CV-5000 pro audio amp for $680 at guitarcenter.com using 15% off couponcode lday15 - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 67 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 984
I'm using a CV-5000 amp bridged to 3ohm on three (1 ohm wired) Dayton Audio Ultimax UM-18. The CV-5000 is a beasty amp!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
I Did the fan mod And used the fans that that johnplayerson recommended but I did not install the lights in the front. Because my amp is in my tv stand, I could see the lights of the fans from behind the amp. So the amp is now dead silent and there are no bright lights in the front of it. Worked out great.
So are you using just the two in the back and none up front like stock?
post #63 of 67 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well stock only has the two at the back, but yes, just the 2 rears. So far no issues but to be honest, I haven't really felt it to see how hot it gets during a bass heavy movie. I have felt it a couple of times after (so it may have cooled down by then) and it wasn't warm at all.

So far so good.
post #64 of 67 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yeah, realize that comment read a little funny, stock is of course 2

I did a power on test with one stock fan and one of the new fans and there is certainly less air moving from the new one, but I won't be pushing this thing anywhere near reference very often, so hopefully the trade-off for noise vs airflow is a good balance.

Now I just need to finish my dual 24 build so I can fire up this bad mama jamma!
post #65 of 67 Old Today, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm using a CV-5000 amp bridged to 3ohm on three (1 ohm wired) Dayton Audio Ultimax UM-18. The CV-5000 is a beasty amp!

Have you tried running these into 1.34 ohm per channel? Whenever I get the itch (aka losing my mind) I plan on going from 8 to 12 SI HT-18 D2's and running 2 CV5000s into 3 ohm or 1.34 ohm per channel if these amps handle them like I'm guessing the beasts will?

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 1200+
post #66 of 67 Old Today, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 984
I called Cerwin Vega Support and they told me the CV-5000 is built pretty bullet proof, and that it wouldn't hurt itself trying to run 1 ohm per channel in stereo. They said at worst it would thermal and auto shut off to protect itself, but it wouldn't damage the unit in trying and I could try it for home theater use and likely not have a problem at all.

I know at 3 ohm bridged, the unit has never even begun to blow warm air on my equipment, and I've never had any kind of problem whatsoever. So I haven't tried what you are expecting to do, but I wouldn't hesitate to, based on my conversation with Cerwin Vega tech support.
saginawjuggalo likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #67 of 67 Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I called Cerwin Vega Support and they told me the CV-5000 is built pretty bullet proof, and that it wouldn't hurt itself trying to run 1 ohm per channel in stereo. They said at worst it would thermal and auto shut off to protect itself, but it wouldn't damage the unit in trying and I could try it for home theater use and likely not have a problem at all.

I know at 3 ohm bridged, the unit has never even begun to blow warm air on my equipment, and I've never had any kind of problem whatsoever. So I haven't tried what you are expecting to do, but I wouldn't hesitate to, based on my conversation with Cerwin Vega tech support.

Awesome..

That's what I was expecting based on prior readings, but I remember a couple doubters. I have nearly zero doubt that you're right, but it would be nice to see someone bench test the CV-5000 in order to see what they're truly made of. I'm guessing two CV-5000s would more than I would ever need for my eight 4.0 Cb. Ft. sealed 18's. I doubt I would be pushing two of them full throttle... maybe momentary blasts in movies. It's always nice to have the extra power on tap! Is the CV-5000s damping factor at 1.34 ohms a concern?

I've been at a lose of what I'd like do (it's been driving me nuts), but at least that opens up some possibilities! I've been dancing between upgrading to 2 CV-5000s powering my 8 subs or getting another EP4000 and four extra 18's... They should be about the same DB gain wise.

Two CV-5000s would be more than double the power I currently have (2 EP4000s). That should be good for a 3DB gain. Or I could go with twelve SI HT-18's and another EP4000. A 50% power increase = 1.5DB and the 50% displacement increase (co-located) = 1.5DB. That totals a 3DB gain either way.

Cost wise they should come out to about the same depending on sales. It may be even cost more going with 2 CV-5000s once I factor in the losses of selling the EP4000s second hand and paying to have my 14 gauge (15 amp) power lines upgraded. What to do.. What to do lol

If I go with twelve 18's I'll having the visual wow-factor, the extra driver reliability and slightly smoother frequency response. In the future I may do both if I can find a CV-5000 at an undeniable price.

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 1200+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier , Cerwin Vega Brand