Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 105 Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
FYI

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+Elite+-+Elite+770W+7.1-Channel+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/2769133.p?id=1218349685273&skuId=2769133

Can purchase in store starting today, will be able to purchase online as well sometime today or tomorrow.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just FYI, I dont think Pioneer will honor the warranty if it is not bought through Pioneer. I dont think anyone is an authorized dealer on the Elite line.
post #3 of 105 Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh1010 View Post

Just FYI, I dont think Pioneer will honor the warranty if it is not bought through Pioneer. I dont think anyone is an authorized dealer on the Elite line.

Magnolia is an authorized dealer. This is a discontinued model. Pioneer will honor the warranty. If you are worried though, you can always run into the store and pick one up.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #4 of 105 Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Liked: 12
Get the most out of your investment – Manufacturer’s warranty and rebate are not valid when you purchase from an unauthorized dealer. Only Pioneer-branded products* (not Elite-branded products) purchased from a Pioneer Authorized Home Entertainment Internet Dealer qualify for the manufacturer's limited warranty.

*Pioneer does NOT authorize any dealers to sell Elite-branded products on the Internet (only in-store sales are permitted). Therefore, any Elite-branded product purchased on the Internet is NOT authorized, which means that it does NOT carry the manufacturer's limited warranty and does not qualify for any manufacturer's rebate.

Peace of mind – Only authorized dealers are able to sell brand-new, non-refurbished, original stock products, complete with accessories and manuals that are made for use in the US.

I actually mispoke, sorry, it just states that it cant be purchased on the internet.
post #5 of 105 Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh1010 View Post

Get the most out of your investment – Manufacturer’s warranty and rebate are not valid when you purchase from an unauthorized dealer. Only Pioneer-branded products* (not Elite-branded products) purchased from a Pioneer Authorized Home Entertainment Internet Dealer qualify for the manufacturer's limited warranty.

*Pioneer does NOT authorize any dealers to sell Elite-branded products on the Internet (only in-store sales are permitted). Therefore, any Elite-branded product purchased on the Internet is NOT authorized, which means that it does NOT carry the manufacturer's limited warranty and does not qualify for any manufacturer's rebate.

Peace of mind – Only authorized dealers are able to sell brand-new, non-refurbished, original stock products, complete with accessories and manuals that are made for use in the US.

I actually mispoke, sorry, it just states that it cant be purchased on the internet.

Well again, if you have concerns, just stop in the store and purchase it directly. Problem solved.

post #6 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I picked mine up today at our closest MAGNOLIA. I called and they were good enough to set on aside for me until I got there......full 2 year warranty at a great price. I have just sold my VSX-1121 wanting to upgrade to the SC-1222 but after looking at the deal on the E%# and listening to it I made my choice. I know the VSX-1121 and E/52-53 are supposed to be pretty much the same unit but after getting the E%# hooked up and calibrated last night I swear it sounds better. Maybe it's just the thrill of a new AVR? Anyways...one heck of a deal even if it is a model year old.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #7 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This is truly an excellent deal! The VSX-53 list was originally $1100, marked down last year to $900 and now again to $500. Very good AVR at an outstanding price with a full 2 year Elite warranty. Yes, Magnolia is an authorized Pioneer Elite dealer so you can buy from them with no worries.

I have a VSX-52 that I bought from Magnolia brand new last year at what I thought was a great clearance price. $499.98 though for a VSX-53 is even less. Sure, basically it is the same AVR but you get another HDMI output and aluminum faceplate with the 53. If your looking for an Elite or thinking about just getting a new AVR, here it is. I wouldn't wait long on this one.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #8 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Played a few SACD's and CD's on the OPPO last night and the E53 sounds sweet! I 'll try a few BD's this weekend.

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #9 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
How good is the room correction and calibration technology? How does it compare to Audyssey? I have a 6 year old Denon 2807 - which has Audyssey. The lack of that feature (in favor of Pio's proprietary version of the tech) gives me pause before upgrading.

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #10 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM

To avoid any kind of room correction debate, lets just say Audyssey is good and so is Pioneers advanced MCACC. In fact some actually prefer it. I know I do. MCACC is highly tweakable and has always been very effective for me. And I have had four Elites over the years and had great luck with all of them.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #11 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks -- I just wanted to make sure it was a robust system (versus say -- Emotiva's EmoQ -- which seems pretty ... well ... lame).

How many calibration positions does the Advanced MCACC allow on the VSX-53?

post #12 of 105 Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Its very robust. MCACC allows for 6 calibration positions and each one can be saved in the units memory and named. Again if your considering the VSX-53 from Magnolia, you can always return it if it doesn't meet your expectation. Good luck.

post #13 of 105 Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought a VSX-60 from Best Buy in Jan for a little less than this. Anyone used both? Interested in whether it would be worth moving to the 53 and returning the 60?
post #14 of 105 Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 PM

I will tell you it would be worth returning the VSX-60 for the VSX-53. The VSX-60 is pretty much the same as the VSX-1122 with a few extras such as the 2 year warranty. The VSX-53 has a much better power supply and many extra features above what the VSX-60 has. Compare them both and I think you will see the advantages of getting the VSX-53

post #15 of 105 Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks. I may need to make a run to BB tonight. Anyone know if the is an OSD on the 53? That's one of the things that has bugged me about the 60. It'd be nice to see volume displayed on the screen.
post #16 of 105 Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 PM

That is a function depending on if you are using your HDMI control...but yes it will or does.

post #17 of 105 Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks for info.

Speakerphile-Thanks for posting the price. For an exchange and an extra $20, I swapped my VSX-60 for the 53.
post #18 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone had a problem with the HDMI on these unit? I purchased one on Friday, returned it yesterday, because the HDMI kept dropping out, and I was constantly resetting the unit. Trying a second one to see what happens.
post #19 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys -- another few questions, and I am having trouble finding answers.

Is the Marvell Qdeo performing all video processing duties, or is it just a scaler? I know the Qdeo chipset is well regarded. I currently have my old Denon AVR-2807 paired up with a DVDO Edge (which performers all the HDMI switching duties and robust video processing with its Anchor Bay chips performing all scaling, de-interlacing, noise control, etc.). It's a good setup -- especially since the 2807 is just performing audio processing and pre-amp duties (since I also use a Rotel RMB-1075 for amplification).

But -- like many of you -- I have upgrade/smoking deal-itis, and this unit interests me. But if I got it -- the plan would be to retire and sell both the 2807 and DVDO Edge -- and use the VSX-53 as a pre/pro for the Rotel.

OK -- with that background -- I am having real trouble figuring out how robust this Qdeo implementation is. All it says in the literature is that the Qdeo is a "scaler" ("Video Scaler Marvell Qdeo up to 1080p / 24fps"). Is a lower quality chipset performing the rest of the video processing (i.e. contrast control, noise control, etc.)? Also -- on the Edge you can set different HDMI sources to different settings. So I can pump up noise control, sharpness, and contrast when the source is my DirecTV box, and leave everything on "0" when using my blu-ray player, and have it on "game mode" bypassing processing altogether when using my Xbox 360. Can you do similar setups for individual sources on the VSX-53?

BTW -- for those of you in the DC area, the Tyson's Corner BB shows the unit as in stock.

post #20 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

Is the Marvell Qdeo performing all video processing duties, or is it just a scaler? I know the Qdeo chipset is well regarded. I currently have my old Denon AVR-2807 paired up with a DVDO Edge (which performers all the HDMI switching duties and robust video processing with its Anchor Bay chips performing all scaling, de-interlacing, noise control, etc.). It's a good setup -- especially since the 2807 is just performing audio processing and pre-amp duties (since I also use a Rotel RMB-1075 for amplification).

But -- like many of you -- I have upgrade/smoking deal-itis, and this unit interests me. But if I got it -- the plan would be to retire and sell both the 2807 and DVDO Edge -- and use the VSX-53 as a pre/pro for the Rotel.

OK -- with that background -- I am having real trouble figuring out how robust this Qdeo implementation is. All it says in the literature is that the Qdeo is a "scaler" ("Video Scaler Marvell Qdeo up to 1080p / 24fps"). Is a lower quality chipset performing the rest of the video processing (i.e. contrast control, noise control, etc.)? Also -- on the Edge you can set different HDMI sources to different settings. So I can pump up noise control, sharpness, and contrast when the source is my DirecTV box, and leave everything on "0" when using my blu-ray player, and have it on "game mode" bypassing processing altogether when using my Xbox 360. Can you do similar setups for individual sources on the VSX-53?

BTW -- for those of you in the DC area, the Tyson's Corner BB shows the unit as in stock.

Anxiously waiting for an answer to Skrill's question as well
post #21 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Which is better the sc 1222 or the vsx 52?
post #22 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realife3 View Post

Has anyone had a problem with the HDMI on these unit? I purchased one on Friday, returned it yesterday, because the HDMI kept dropping out, and I was constantly resetting the unit. Trying a second one to see what happens.

Wow. Just hooked up the second one. The first thing I noticed when taking it out the box, was the sticker decal on the front of the receiver listing the features. It was not on the previous one, which lead me to believe I was sold a refurb. Everything seems to be fine with this one.
post #23 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Here is a link describing the QDEO function: http://www.marvell.com/digital-entertainment/assets/qdeo_extended_technology_brief.pdf I hope this is what your looking for. As far as dropouts I've had none since getting this unit last Thursday and I would guess it has 40 hours of use so far. I'm still tweaking the sound a bit but overall a killer unit at a great price.

post #24 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Wow. Just hooked up the second one. The first thing I noticed when taking it out the box, was the sticker decal on the front of the receiver listing the features. It was not on the previous one, which lead me to believe I was sold a refurb. Everything seems to be fine with this one.

Mine had no stickers and was not refurbished. What is the build date on yours? Mine is September 2012.

post #25 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

More than likely, a customer had returned it previously and had re-sealed the box telling the store he hadn't opened it. Refurb products are clearly marked on the packaging. Furthermore, we do not sell Pioneer Elite refurb, or refurb [anything] in Magnolia.

post #26 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I'll echo that. Mine did not have the sticker above the display, either. This thing better not be a refurb. The build date on mine is Nov'12.
post #27 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Did not check the first one, this one is May 2011.
post #28 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMac View Post

I'll echo that. Mine did not have the sticker above the display, either. This thing better not be a refurb. The build date on mine is Nov'12.

Unless Pioneer is repackaging refurbs as new and shipping them to Best Buy without their knowledge, I find this highly unlikely.

post #29 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Unless Pioneer is repackaging refurbs as new and shipping them to Best Buy without their knowledge, I find this highly unlikely.

Speakerphile -- can you answer my question about the video processing settings. Can you assign different settings for different sources? I.e., Directv box, blu-ray, Xbox, etc.?

post #30 of 105 Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speakerphile -- can you answer my question about the video processing settings. Can you assign different settings for different sources? I.e., Directv box, blu-ray, Xbox, etc.?

I don't have the answer to that off the top of my head. I will try to get it for you tomorrow though.

Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d