Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 563 Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Check the Official Pioneer SC1522-K AVSForum Owner's thread at this site and search as a few have asked about the Onk 818 not sure about the Sony. I love my 1522(SC-65)! I own two other older Elites(SC-05 & SC-37). All are much better sounding than my older Onk TRSX696 and an Sony ES STRAEA5 and Denon 2809.
post #273 of 563 Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
FYI, today St. Peters MO Costco had 4 in boxes and display (maybe more in back?)
post #274 of 563 Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM

7 left at the Carlsbad Costco. None at the one at Vista. Thanks!
post #275 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regster View Post

Thanks Riverboa. I have my network connection as you described, unfortunately no airplay symbol. I am able to control the receiver using the iControlAV from my iPhone, so this Airplay issue has me baffled. Apple tech support guy says that both receiver and my iPhone need to be connecting through WiFi, which I think is baloney, but he is the expert. I agree it should be on the same network like you said. For now, I'm leaning more that I need to change some setting I need to change on the phone. After I told the support guy that I can use iControlAV, he wanted me to reset the phone eek.gif, that's when I requested an appointment to bring my phone in smile.gif.

I don't know if you have this resolved yet. I had the same problem and a user in a different thread suggested I reset the router. Worked like a charm. Good Luck.
post #276 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger thanks to you guys but wanted to get some advise. I have a focal 800v cc, and 2 706v for fronts and two 106 customs for surrounds. I've narrowed down to the pioneer 1522-k or denon 3313 what do u guys think?
post #277 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 14
All -

I searched through the thread but couldn't find any mention of this, so apologies if I missed it: it appears that the SC-1522 doesn't have multi-channel analog inputs, correct? Will it support DSD through HDMI? Specifically, if I have a universal player that plays SACD and DVD-A, will this receiver deliver true 5.1?

I've been looking for an updated receiver to replace my older non-HDMI Yamaha....it's tough finding a receiver that has everything I want (SACD playback, wireless, dual zones)....they have a handful of these Pioneers at my local Costco and it seems like a great deal, but the specs on the Pioneer website don't make everything clear.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.
post #278 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 14
And one other question, for those who may know: does the 1522 support digital sources through the other zones? I'd assume that it's more common than not for receivers these days, but I know many receivers (including my old Yamaha) will only send analog inputs through Zone 2.
post #279 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 15
Two left here: http://goo.gl/maps/jhMb5
post #280 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post

All -

I searched through the thread but couldn't find any mention of this, so apologies if I missed it: it appears that the SC-1522 doesn't have multi-channel analog inputs, correct? Will it support DSD through HDMI? Specifically, if I have a universal player that plays SACD and DVD-A, will this receiver deliver true 5.1?

I've been looking for an updated receiver to replace my older non-HDMI Yamaha....it's tough finding a receiver that has everything I want (SACD playback, wireless, dual zones)....they have a handful of these Pioneers at my local Costco and it seems like a great deal, but the specs on the Pioneer website don't make everything clear.

You're correct that the Pioneer does not have multi-channel analog inputs. However, it will accept DSD signals through its HDMI inputs, but it converts them to PCM. I've listened to SACD each way it can be transmitted, and it is difficult to tell the difference between multi-channel analog and PCM converted DSD or DSD direct, especially when you add in the benefit that auto calibration brings to both PCM converted DSD or DSD direct. In fact, I prefer the sound created by the Pioneer's MCACC system with SACDs. Not to mention the fact that you'll be able to discard 6 audio cords from the back of your system by going with the Pioneer.
treyrhodes likes this.
post #281 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post

All -

Nope, it does not do that. And, for the life of me, I can't quite imagine a scenario where that would be desirable. I think you are missing the point with this guy: it is a great pre-processor with a metric craptonne of HDMI inputs and loads of multichannel analog audio outputs. This is made even more attractive because of the very low price and the quite capable, powerful D3 amp section. But the reason to buy this is neither for the amp alone nor for the pre-amp/processor alone. It is an integrated AVR and it fulfills that role well, IMO.

EDIT: I see where you are going. My apologies. I thought you might want to use the AVR as a 9-channel amp for some reason. Yes, it does decode SACD DSD over HDMI and USB only. (At least I think over the front USB port, like the 1222-K.) You should take a look at the manual here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-1522-K_OperatingInstructions061512.pdf

EDIT 2: Okay...so the Elite SC-65 apparently does something called DSD-to-PCM conversion. I guess that would be pulse width modulation to pulse code modulation. Word on the street is that these two AVRs are identical, except cosmetics. Read that manual! You may be able to plug your SACD source right into one of the S/PDIF or coax digital inputs. That would be cool.

EDIT 3: Read the Manual. (CTRL F is your friend with PDFs!) You are in business with some sort of digital input, not necessarily just HDMI. A little light will light up on the front panel when the DSD source is detected. See Page 57 of the manual that I linked to.
post #282 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM

If the SC-65 can do it then the SC-1522-k can do it. So no one should think there are any techie differences.
post #283 of 563 Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsufootball View Post

If the SC-65 can do it then the SC-1522-k can do it. So no one should think there are any techie differences.

Well, that is the rumor. But, I checked the SC-1522 manual; it can do it.

Never done a side-by-side comparison of the SC-65 and SC-1522 manuals. The specs of both units are identical, so it would stand to reason that if the manuals are the same, then they are the same unit inside.
post #284 of 563 Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 11
I got Best Buy to price match Costco. They were not happy about it, and tried to wriggle out of price matching, first by saying that they only price match written ads, and then by saying they don't price match club stores. I quoted their own price match policy to them off their website and they finally relented.

They didn't have the receiver in stock (only an open-box return), so I had them order it off their website and deliver it for store pickup. This only worked because the closest Costco did have it in stock, which I verified myself over the phone before I had the Best Buy employee call to double check. This saved me the trouble of having to get my friend who has a Costco card to go with me to pick this up. It also gave me 24-month financing. But the best part was seeing the Best Buy manager's face when he finally realized he was going to have to give me a $1000 price match.
machx likes this.
post #285 of 563 Old 05-02-2013, 01:30 PM

I'm suprised they did it because thier policy is they can choose not to price match.
post #286 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spallenzani View Post

I got Best Buy to price match Costco. They were not happy about it, and tried to wriggle out of price matching, first by saying that they only price match written ads, and then by saying they don't price match club stores. I quoted their own price match policy to them off their website and they finally relented.

They didn't have the receiver in stock (only an open-box return), so I had them order it off their website and deliver it for store pickup. This only worked because the closest Costco did have it in stock, which I verified myself over the phone before I had the Best Buy employee call to double check. This saved me the trouble of having to get my friend who has a Costco card to go with me to pick this up. It also gave me 24-month financing. But the best part was seeing the Best Buy manager's face when he finally realized he was going to have to give me a $1000 price match.

I'm surprised too, especially since you're not even a member of the club you're matching.

I would've gone the Costco route because if there's a problem a year later, you're out of luck with BestBuy but Costco would give you a full refund. Plus if you open the box and say in a month the receiver doesn't meet your expectations BestBuy probably won't take it back or will hit you up with a restocking fee. Again, Costco will give you a full refund no questions asked.

I know this for a fact because after about 9 months, my Sony Blu-Ray player started to vibrate really loudly on the glass shelf while playing a movie. I took the player, remote and receipt to Costo and just told them it vibrates loudly while playing. The customer service person didn't ask anything and gave me a full refund (not even asking if I wanted to exchange it). In addition, I didn't even have the box it came in.
vivatech likes this.

post #287 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Pioneer SC-1522-K = Costco 751220.
I bought one today (May 3) for $599.99 from the Mt Prospect, IL store.
It was not on display; There were three (now two) on a skid below the display shelf.
post #288 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicho View Post

Not one store in illinois carries it at the moment frown.gif just when i finally had made up my mind between this and the onkyo818
Sorry to repost this but I for got to quote the person I was responding to. I'm new to this great forum.

It was not on display; There were three (now two) on a skid below the display shelf.
miicho likes this.
post #289 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Welcome to the Forum and hope you are enjoying this great deal of a receiver as I and many other owners on this forum are.

post #290 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Got the last two from Westbury, Long Island (NY)
post #291 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb View Post

Sorry to repost this but I for got to quote the person I was responding to. I'm new to this great forum.

its only a 45 min drive from me I shall pick one up tomorrow
post #292 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Is this unit better than Denon 2112CI?
post #293 of 563 Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 PM

I got the last one at my Costco today.
post #294 of 563 Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb View Post

Congratulations and welcome to the club!!
post #295 of 563 Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 AM

Does anyone know if any of these are making their way to the Houston area? I called the three Houston area stores and they all said the product is listed as "new", but they have not yet received any - and that there is no indication of if/when they will receive them. Not sure what this means..., but I want one!! smile.gif
post #296 of 563 Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Just picked up one at the third Costco I tried- not at the Oxnard, CA one, not at the Simi Valley, CA one, but yes, at the Westlake (Thousand Oaks), CA one. All three stores in Ventura County, CA. There are four left on the shelf if anyone in the LA area is looking.
post #297 of 563 Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Bossert View Post

Does anyone know if any of these are making their way to the Houston area? I called the three Houston area stores and they all said the product is listed as "new", but they have not yet received any - and that there is no indication of if/when they will receive them. Not sure what this means..., but I want one!! smile.gif
I think I've read somewhere on the forum that the item number has been reallocated to a Yamaha receiver. Not sure how true this is but reading how quickly these are going and they've been selling them for over a month, I'd verify that the item they see is the Pioneer 1522-K for $600 and not just a different yet similarly priced A/V receiver.

Edit: I found where I read it in post 189 of this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/180#post_23195887

post #298 of 563 Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Bought it at $599 (Hindry Ave and W Rosecrans Ave, Hawthorne. CA)

9 left in the shelfs
post #299 of 563 Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

I think I've read somewhere on the forum that the item number has been reallocated to a Yamaha receiver. Not sure how true this is but reading how quickly these are going and they've been selling them for over a month, I'd verify that the item they see is the Pioneer 1522-K for $600 and not just a different yet similarly priced A/V receiver.

Edit: I found where I read it in post 189 of this thread.

When I called this morning, I confirmed the item number was for the Pioneer - so thankfully they still exist. But I'm still trying to get my hands on one!
post #300 of 563 Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Costco does not use the same item number for different products or brands. Each is unique.
Otherwise they could not do the accounting and systems tracking for revenue, returns or re-ordering.
Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page