Pioneer SC 1522K for $599.99 at Costco - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 563 Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just a thought for those still searching for the 1522K.

I'm pretty sure Costco has the ability to search for stock of any item # at other Costco stores in the area (maybe larger, but you'll probably need to have your zip codes ready).
Have any of you who are still looking tried calling Costco cust. service and asking if another warehouse has it in inventory?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 563 Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 40
called costco nearest me, they said they dont have this item! so where i can find it?

(2) Energy RC 70 towers
(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center
(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds
(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds
(1) Rythmik LV12R sub
(1) Denon 2112CI avr
(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #363 of 563 Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

Just a thought for those still searching for the 1522K.

I'm pretty sure Costco has the ability to search for stock of any item # at other Costco stores in the area (maybe larger, but you'll probably need to have your zip codes ready).
Have any of you who are still looking tried calling Costco cust. service and asking if another warehouse has it in inventory?

You are correct 110%. I called the Costco I bought mine at this morning to check inventory at our 3 local stores and the 2 stores north and south 50+ miles. Got the updated list, including shelf model only stock.

Again -- Item number is #751220

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #364 of 563 Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Call you local Costco and ask them for the item no. If they don't have it, ask them where the closest location with stock is. They will be able to tell you.
post #365 of 563 Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM

I can't track one down in the Midwest. Any pointers on other stores with a similar price?
post #366 of 563 Old 05-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2377 View Post

Try the one in Brighton. I picked one up there about two weeks ago. They had about 10 in stock then.

WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO... Brighton Costco has 7 now! I snagged one, and I cannot wait to get the 9.2 cranked up!
DC4

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #367 of 563 Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO... Brighton Costco has 7 now! I snagged one, and I cannot wait to get the 9.2 cranked up!
DC4

Haha, cool man!! Glad I could help out! Finally hooked mine up last night. Not getting any video out of my hdmi out 1. Trying to figure out why, and hoping I don't have to drive back to exchange it.
post #368 of 563 Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

DC4

HOLY CRAP!!! This thing is unbelievable. Playing Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day Blue Ray disc now....this thing punches it out far better on my 9.2 system than the just abandoned 140 W Yamaha 7.1 receiver. MCACC is pretty intense!

post #369 of 563 Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Denon AVR-2112ci 600k .JPG file Pioneer SC-1522-K 762k .JPG file
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post

Is this better then a denon 2112?????

Dear brother, I have 2112 for 2 years and also bought 2 1522 in Costco. My 2112 is still driving Energy RC-70, RC-LCR with Velodyne miniVee10 in a 5.1 configuration. if my media center is configurable or is 1" more space, I would replace with the Pioneer.
I am using one 1522 to drive Polk Lsi 15 with RT in ceiling in a 7.2 setup, well, LSis are 4 ohms speakers, 1522 is certified to handle 4 ohms.
While I DID swap the Denon for day, the pioneer provide larger soundscape (after calibration), consider its a class D amp with 40 more watt, it's expected. While I still like the remote unit of Denon which is relatively easier to use, the Pioneer 2112 iControlAV is way better than the Denon remote app, and it's more stable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1522.JPG (762.4 KB, 11 views)
post #370 of 563 Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
man, this thing is soo nice.

I had a VSX03 from a while ago on some RTi8s and now with this 1522, the difference is pretty significant the way it sounds. Not so much the clarify but the depth and space that it is able to project is different. This is of course after setting up 5.1 (I only had 3.1 setup originally since the basement is a mess right now; new house)

I downloaded the Bluray demo disks from someone's signature on AVSForum (surround, bass and music) and man, it is righteous. This is via laptop with 5.1 setup on the sound card for VLC player.

Really happy with how the make my relatively cheap speakers sing.

If the receiver that you currently have is a class or two below this, then you will appreciate the difference. If you already have a receiver that is in this class, unless that receiver is broken or you can recommission it somewhere else in the house, I think you'd be wise to skip and save some dough. It's the pragmatic thing to do

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #371 of 563 Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Liked: 15
Folks, I might be having a problem with my Costco-killer-deal 1522K and I could use a hand from some fellow owners.

I paired this unit with some tower speakers from HTD. In the last 2 months, I have had 2 midrange drivers in my towers go bad. The first driver failed after a few weeks of use, producing a sizzling sound when reproducing mid-high frequency sounds, like strings or chimes. It was absolutely the driver at fault--I moved it from one tower to the other, and the sound fault followed it.

HTD sent me a replacement, and after 3-4 weeks of use it failed in the same way. Now THAT is weird! HTD tech support has been very easy to work with, but this is a puzzling case of lightning striking twice.

One thing that can explain damaged drivers is DC voltage on the outputs. It is pretty darn unlikely that a nice new Pioneer has a speaker-killing fault like that, but I am going to check for DC on my outputs tonight. I'd like to ask for a few of you to do the same, so I have some points of comparison. If you have a multimeter, and if your speaker terminals are easy to access, would you consider testing at least your L/R channels?

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-DC-Offset

I do not know if the values in the guide above are good--like I said, I'd just like to see if I am in the same ballpark with some other owners.

I can't imagine that anything in my listening habits is responsible for killing TWO midrange drivers... I never even hit reference level, and even if I did, the Pioneer plus HTD gear should be able to handle it. Abuse via clipping (or even a DC fault) seems even more unlikely when you consider that one of the midranges that came with the towers is fine, and I have swapped drivers between cabinets, and cabinets between L/R.

Anyway--if anyone wanted to post or PM me some DC offset readings for your 1522K, I would appreciate it. I don't expect to find any problems, but I want to be thorough.

Many thanks in advance!
post #372 of 563 Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM

My guess is that the D3 amp utilizes a self-calibrating, microprocessor-controlled DC offset cancellation loop. The digital domain is very handy for this kind of thing as opposed to an analog high-pass filter or the like. This should eliminate the problem nearly completely in this design.

That said, I am curious as to what you measure.
post #373 of 563 Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM

Here are the measurements on my 1522K. I measured each of the 7 non-sub channels I use at minimum volume, and some of them at -15 dB--all with the same inactive input, of course.

I chose -15 dB for the top end of the test because that is my typical listening level for movies and music.

Right channel
61 mV at minimum volume, 76 mV at -15 dB

Left channel
0.8 mV at minimum volume, 20 mV at -15 dB

Center channel
8.6 mV at minimum volume, 25 mV at -15 dB

Left Surround Back
8.3 mV at minimum volume, 8.3 mV at -15 dB

Right Surround Back
10.7 mV at minimum volume, didn't measure at -15 dB

Left Surround Side
12.0 mV at minimum volume, didn't measure at -15 dB

Right Surround Side
8.5 mV at minimum volume, didn't measure at -15 dB

The DC voltages that increased as I increased volume did not increase in linear fashion. They climbed quickly as volume increased, topped out at their maximum value around -40 to -30 dB, and values then remained fairly flat as I approached -15dB.

From what I read, the values from 25 mV down are pretty reasonable. Less is always better, of course, but as far as I can tell 25 mV is not likely to damage a speaker.

The right channel, at a minimum of 61 mV and a maximum of 75 mV, appears to be approaching the oft-referenced danger zone of 100 mV... and, from what I have read, could well be responsible for audible distortion though the chance of distortion and damage depends on the specifics of speakers and amps. What's really weird is that my first dead driver happened on the left channel, which does not appear impaired, so I am not sure I am any closer to solving my puzzle.

While I can't be positive what any of this means without some guidance, 61 mV is a heck of a lot higher than the other channels. I'm really curious to see anyone else's measurements. Did I get a dud unit or is this all perfectly reasonable?
post #374 of 563 Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 AM

I think the disparity in the results could be thermal. Furthermore, there may be problems with your test methodology. I have some questions. Are you running pure direct mode? Is the balance set? Are you absolutely sure that you should be testing the amp at -15dB attenuation with the DMM at terminals? How about measuring DC offset at max attenuation (zero volume) and with a pair of headphones shunting the preamp to give you a better picture of the bias voltage of the amp section?
post #375 of 563 Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 40
is this thing better than my denon 1612 avr?

(2) Energy RC 70 towers
(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center
(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds
(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds
(1) Rythmik LV12R sub
(1) Denon 2112CI avr
(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #376 of 563 Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyrhodes View Post

I think the disparity in the results could be thermal. Furthermore, there may be problems with your test methodology. I have some questions. Are you running pure direct mode? Is the balance set? Are you absolutely sure that you should be testing the amp at -15dB attenuation with the DMM at terminals? How about measuring DC offset at max attenuation (zero volume) and with a pair of headphones shunting the preamp to give you a better picture of the bias voltage of the amp section?

I was not in Pure Direct mode. It was an input I never used and so it would have been set to whatever the default processing mode was. It can't hurt to re-test that way, but I don't listen in Pure Direct. If the bias voltage I saw is high enough to be a problem, but it goes away in PD mode, then I still have a problem.

Balance was unchanged, though the speaker output levels were all adjusted with MCACC (-1.0 here, -0.5 there, etc) Do I need to zero out all those changes too?

I am not at all sure that measuring at -15 dB provides any useful data. smile.gif

If I plug headphones in, why would it bypass the preamp? (I never use 'em, don't know anything about it.)

I'll take another look tonight and make sure to verify the settings as you have suggested. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
post #377 of 563 Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Update on my DC measurements--

In Pure Direct mode, there were no changes to the values above.

When I plugged in headphones, I heard a relay click, and all the speaker terminals then read 0 V.

Because I though the right channel being so much higher did look a little fishy, I returned the unit to Costco and got a replacement this evening. The replacement is basically the same, with 20-30 mV of DC showing on all channels, and about twice that on the right channel. (I am pretty sure I got the floor model, as the unit was in a resealed box, yet the accessories were all still neatly packaged. It probably spent the last 6 weeks sitting on but idle.)

With two units behaving approximately the same, it does seem unlikely that the test is meaningful and the 1522K is probably not the cause of my speaker woes.

I freely admit that the test may be meaningless--I am just trying to figure out why I have a couple of improbable dead drivers, so I may be flailing in the dark. However, if anyone can suggest a more proper method for testing DC bias on these units, and what those values may mean as far as speaker performance goes, I'd be all ears.
post #378 of 563 Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

is this thing better than my denon 1612 avr?

I'd say a lot better unless you just have to have audyssey. This compares in specs (not in price, where it has a distinct advantage) to the 33xx Denon models, likely with more real power especially in a multi channel configuration. It is also, IMHO, a brighter sounding receiver which should match very well with your Energy RC speakers. And do justice to your RC-70 in particular... Those need quite a bit of power to sound as they should. I use my Onkyo 818 at 50% of its volume when listening my RC-70 in stereo, while with my previous Polk Rti-A5 35-40% was already plenty.
post #379 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rispoli View Post

I'd say a lot better unless you just have to have audyssey. This compares in specs (not in price, where it has a distinct advantage) to the 33xx Denon models, likely with more real power especially in a multi channel configuration. It is also, IMHO, a brighter sounding receiver which should match very well with your Energy RC speakers. And do justice to your RC-70 in particular... Those need quite a bit of power to sound as they should. I use my Onkyo 818 at 50% of its volume when listening my RC-70 in stereo, while with my previous Polk Rti-A5 35-40% was already plenty.

I bought a 1522 from Costco before it ran out of them. It remains boxed. All the while I have been waiting for the 818 to drop in price. I notice that you may have a 1522 and a 818. If so, how do you compare the two? I'm leaning toward the 818 because of Audyssey and audio. But, the 1522 owners on this site seem to be give some very high marks on the audio prowess of the 1522.
post #380 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 11
None in Memphis but 7 in Nashville. Is it worth the drive? Hmmm........
post #381 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzilla View Post

None in Memphis but 7 in Nashville. Is it worth the drive? Hmmm........
Not sure if that is a 2 hour or less drive. If so I say yes. I own this 1522 and it is a great receiver with the status overlay on screen and the very efficient third generation Class D amps. Way better than my Denon 2809 and is the same as Pioneer Elite SC-65 with minor cosmetic differences.
post #382 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Still some left in Northern California, as of 3 pm.PDT 5/22/13 there were 4 at the Richmond, Ca. Costco. 4 at Cal Expo and 4 at Citrus Heights, 7 at the Turlock store. HTH.smile.gif
post #383 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So was this a one time thing or will they come back? I don't see any at my Costcos.
post #384 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

So was this a one time thing or will they come back? I don't see any at my Costcos.

You can call the nearest Costco, get friendly with the person on the other end, and ask them to check if any nearby stores have any in stock, which they can do from their computer. Here in SE Michigan, 1 store had 10, rest had none, out of 4 stores. Good luck, my recommendation, GET ONE.

post #385 of 563 Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

Yes, usually when there an exceptional deal it is a one time thing. A few years ago Costco did a Pioneer SC-35 deal and it was a great deal, but one off. This deal is the same. Suggest you ask your local Costco to search their data base for the item number at other stores within your driving range. If you can drive and get one of last ones out there. You will not be disappointed.
post #386 of 563 Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick View Post

I bought a 1522 from Costco before it ran out of them. It remains boxed. All the while I have been waiting for the 818 to drop in price. I notice that you may have a 1522 and a 818. If so, how do you compare the two? I'm leaning toward the 818 because of Audyssey and audio. But, the 1522 owners on this site seem to be give some very high marks on the audio prowess of the 1522.

I would certainly unbox it and order the Onkyo in a place with hassle-free return policy. I cannot tell you which one you will prefer. In my case, the Onkyo sound wins vs. the SC-1222K I have returned (almost identical to the 1522K and the sound signature I bet is identical indeed). Is it because of Audyssey XT32 or because of the amplification? I'll never know. The Pioneer was a very nice receiver, i certainly could have lived with it. But when compared to my Denon 3312 and Onkyo 818 I found it less satisfying sound-wise also after extensive MCACC tweaking.
IMHO there is consensus about class D amplifiers being more energy efficient than A/B class, but when it comes to sound we get into very subjective area. I know I made my pick, but cannot guarantee yours will be the same. With the Onkyo after running Audyssey I felt no need to make any tweaking: everything sounded great, enveloping, balanced, etc. I never had this impression after running MCACC and also after extensive tweaking I did not reach similar results. I also missed the Dynamic volume feature when watching tv to kill those jumps in loudness typical of commercials. Pioneer's ALC does not work nearly as well and it just applies to stereo listening, which for TV is not my choice (prefer Exp. stereo).

Anyways, let's not forget price: at 599$ the 1522K is almost certainly the best buy in the market right now.
post #387 of 563 Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick View Post

If you call Onecall you can get the Onkyo 818 new in box full warranty (they are an authorized seller) with free shipping for $699. You are at $100 difference, you could always grab a refurbished one from onkyo and use the code that was Advertised in post #486 of this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418870/onkyo-tx-nr818-949-88/480 would bring your cost to well under $600.

post #388 of 563 Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Thx for the input. I think I'll get a 818 direct from Onkyo which now has refurbished units for $540 out the door (incl. tax and free shipping to CA). That would be $100 less than I paid for the 1522 killer deal at Costco ($640 OTD). This should be a no brainer but, I have a habit laboring over this type of purchase because, like most of us: 1) I want the best bang for my buck; 2) I will have to live with the unit for several years; and 3) not have buyer's remorse. Geeeez! You'd think I was buying a car - but, it kinda is, huh?
post #389 of 563 Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Lol. I go through the same thing when I'm buying stuff like this. lol. I will say though, I also considered the 818 versus the 1522 as well. The main reason I chose the 1522 is because Onkyo fails your #2 criteria. I bought my first ever receiver 3 years ago, Onkyo 707, thinking it would last 5-10 years. It lasted 2.5 and no longer works. I like Onkyo for their value (what you get spec-wise vs. what you pay), but if I have to replace them every 3 years... Just too scared to trust them again from what I experienced and from what I keep reading about their newer units. Hope you like it and it works out well for you though.
post #390 of 563 Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Anybody having issues with the relays making noise on their new receivers? After a freeze-up the other night my relays started make the clicking noise when switching sound modes. Was perfectly quiet up till this point...

Have had the receiver since March... The speed is still the same for the switch now I just get the sound to go with it frown.gif
Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page