Pioneer SC 1522K for $599.99 at Costco - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 565 Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Big shout out to those of you posting this deal. Just called around my area, and 2 stores had them in stock. Didn't want to drive the 45+ minutes to Costco, so I called Best Buy's 1-800 # and after 30+ minutes on the phone (they had to call Costco direct because they didn't believe me when I told them what the price was - it's still listed on Best Buy's site @ $1,599.99).

So I'm now a proud new owner of this fine receiver. Thanks again for posting this deal. Thankfully I saw this thread last night, as I was within an inch of pulling the trigger on the Newegg deal on the SC-1222-K for $499.
bissonnette7 and vivatech like this.

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything"

XBL - TheLizardKingII

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 565 Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
Just called Costco in Alpharetta, GA and they are showing it deleted from their system and no stores around have any stock.

Paul
post #453 of 565 Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 16
Good to see Best Buy match the Costco deal. Welcome aboard you are going to love this 3rd generation class D amp. receiver! Remember it's almost exactly the same receiver as the Elite SC-65 smile.gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13 View Post

Big shout out to those of you posting this deal. Just called around my area, and 2 stores had them in stock. Didn't want to drive the 45+ minutes to Costco, so I called Best Buy's 1-800 # and after 30+ minutes on the phone (they had to call Costco direct because they didn't believe me when I told them what the price was - it's still listed on Best Buy's site @ $1,599.99).

So I'm now a proud new owner of this fine receiver. Thanks again for posting this deal. Thankfully I saw this thread last night, as I was within an inch of pulling the trigger on the Newegg deal on the SC-1222-K for $499.
post #454 of 565 Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Not sure how you got BB to price match over Costco because i tried and called 3 times, spoke to 3 different persons and none would allow
price matching.
Then they transfered directly to the store closest to where Costco had it and after talking to his manager he said no way Best Buy would allow reducing by $1000.00 even if their advertisement say so.
Guess you are the lucky one!

So you bought it thru the phone,would you remember the name of the agent you spoke too? I might give it another try...!
post #455 of 565 Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Same thing here for me . Bb had an open box unused one for sale guy literally bought and brought back that evening they wanted 1249 I believe but told them about Costco and they matched the price. Granted it could have done something with myself buying 4k in stereo already but they will match keep reaching out to other bb.
post #456 of 565 Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
How does this stack up to the Pioneer SC-61, I think I'm still within my 15 days to return that (open box $600). Anything gained with the 1522k?
post #457 of 565 Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by guber View Post

Not sure how you got BB to price match over Costco because i tried and called 3 times, spoke to 3 different persons and none would allow
price matching.
Then they transfered directly to the store closest to where Costco had it and after talking to his manager he said no way Best Buy would allow reducing by $1000.00 even if their advertisement say so.

So you bought it thru the phone,would you remember the name of the agent you spoke too? I might give it another try...!
I would talk to the store manager and complain that they're violating their own store policy and you're going to file a complaint with your state if they refuse to match. BB has this item as a lowest price guarantee and if it's your local Costco they have to match it per their policy. If your Costco has none in stock, then I think they're within their rights to refuse to match the price since you can't buy it.

No where in this policy does it exclude warehouse clubs physical store locations. Actually, if you read the Price Match Guarantee FAQ, it actually says...

Does Best Buy match the prices of a Warehouse club?
Yes. We do match the prices of Warehouse clubs as long as the Warehouse club is a local retail competitor, has an identical immediately available product and all other price match criteria are met. We do not match the online prices of warehouse clubs if they vary from store prices.

Further proof that most who work at BB have no idea about what they sell or even their own policies.
vivatech likes this.

post #458 of 565 Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

How does this stack up to the Pioneer SC-61, I think I'm still within my 15 days to return that (open box $600). Anything gained with the 1522k?
The 1522k is essentially the same as a sc-65 (without the Elite badge).
You get 9.2 (vs 7.2) a little more power per channel and 3d & 4k pass through.

Go to pioneer's website: www.pioneerelectronics.com and just search for the two models and do a side by side comparison. Pioneer lists the specs for all models using the same format which makes comparing easier.

post #459 of 565 Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 17
To this day I am still astounded that people try to get best buy to price match with Costco's excellent return policy.....makes zero sense to me..
post #460 of 565 Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

To this day I am still astounded that people try to get best buy to price match with Costco's excellent return policy.....makes zero sense to me..

How about people with no Costco near them? We gotta try to make use of what is available.
post #461 of 565 Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan View Post

How about people with no Costco near them? We gotta try to make use of what is available.
But Best Buy won't match unless there is a local Costco (~25 mi.) that has it in stock. If you don't have a Costco near you, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy won't match.

Before their new Price Match agreement, they would always give me a hard time when I tried to get them to match B&H because they said it wasn't a local store (it was about 15 miles away, and to anyone in the NYC area it's a local store). But when I asked if they would match
a different store on LI (which was about 22 miles away) they said they would. After questioning why they would match a store that is farther away have them tell me B&H isn't local, they relented and say that they would only match this one time.

post #462 of 565 Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

But Best Buy won't match unless there is a local Costco (~25 mi.) that has it in stock. If you don't have a Costco near you, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy won't match.

Before their new Price Match agreement, they would always give me a hard time when I tried to get them to match B&H because they said it wasn't a local store (it was about 15 miles away, and to anyone in the NYC area it's a local store). But when I asked if they would match
a different store on LI (which was about 22 miles away) they said they would. After questioning why they would match a store that is farther away have them tell me B&H isn't local, they relented and say that they would only match this one time.

I see. Which BB do you go to? I moved to Jersey City and shop frequently at the BB store there. Wonderful experience and never had any trouble matching the prices (including that of Frys which don't have a shop here in the east coast).
post #463 of 565 Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If Costco is selling them at 599.00 and making a profit how much are they paying them ??, 399.00 ??,.... How much do they actually cost Pioneer to produce !!!
And to say other stores are selling them for 1599.00 .
It's crazy when u think of it buying this unit full price , when now we know about how much they must cost Pioneer to produce !!! 300.-400.00 ?? Who knows ,..maybe less since they are made in asia !!!
post #464 of 565 Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

If Costco is selling them at 599.00 and making a profit how much are they paying them ??, 399.00 ??,.... How much do they actually cost Pioneer to produce !!!
And to say other stores are selling them for 1599.00 .
It's crazy when u think of it buying this unit full price , when now we know about how much they must cost Pioneer to produce !!! 300.-400.00 ?? Who knows ,..maybe less since they are made in asia !!!

I've read (and this may be incorrect) that Costco basically sells at cost and they make their margin on membership fees.

Again, this is just something I read, doesn't mean that it's true or false.
post #465 of 565 Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Remember, that the cost of almost all electronics doesn't just include the cost of parts and labor. It also includes the cost of R&D & Engineering that went into it, which can get very expensive.

post #466 of 565 Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiswes View Post

I've read (and this may be incorrect) that Costco basically sells at cost and they make their margin on membership fees.

that most definitely false...
post #467 of 565 Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wonder if Costco if gonna eventually have a similar sale on the NEW SC 1523 ??
post #468 of 565 Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Liked: 10
How do you guys find these pioneer D3 amps for music? I was planning to use one of the Yamaha Aventage AVR until I saw this deal here.
Thanks
post #469 of 565 Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13 View Post

Not sure if you are keeping track of this thread. If you are, can you let me know the two Costco stores which still had them when you contacted them a few weeks back please? Thanks!
post #470 of 565 Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan View Post

Not sure if you are keeping track of this thread. If you are, can you let me know the two Costco stores which still had them when you contacted them a few weeks back please? Thanks!

Just call your Costco and give them the item # (you can find it somewhere in the first few pages).
They can then tell you which Costco still has it in stock.
NYCPatsfan likes this.

post #471 of 565 Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Oh great!! Thanks for that tip!!
post #472 of 565 Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I'm told Costco makes around 8% margin. $48 plus the annual $50 fee in my case. Which means Pioneer sold them to Costco for around $550. pioneer made about 200% margin with early launch list price sales. Classic product life cycle S curve. Great way for Pioneer to reduce remaining stock prior to the successor product launch.

Why go out to a movie theater?
post #473 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone seen the new Sony at Costco for $399.00?
post #474 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by guber View Post

price matching.

I called the main Best Buy number when my local BB wouldn't price match in store. The store manager said there was no way he could do it since his cost was $900.

Over the phone, they confirmed stock at a local Costco and was able to successfully PM. Don't let them tell you they can't price match Costco -- it says in their fine print that they will price match "warehouses". Also, don't let them tell you they can't do it because it will require them to "lose money". That is against their price match terms as well.
post #475 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

I didn't have a Costco membership when I PM'ed my first one.
post #476 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

The 1522k is essentially the same as a sc-65 (without the Elite badge).
You get 9.2 (vs 7.2) a little more power per channel and 3d & 4k pass through.

Go to pioneer's website: www.pioneerelectronics.com and just search for the two models and do a side by side comparison. Pioneer lists the specs for all models using the same format which makes comparing easier.

I thought the 1522K didn't do 4K passthrough -- and "rumor" had it, was the reason they were clearing these out as the newer/replacement model did support 4K passthrough.

I'll be stoked if this does 4K passthrough. It means this will be my receiver for MANY years to come.

EDIT: Just confirmed -- the 1522 DOESN'T do 4K passthrough, the 1523 DOES.
post #477 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Edge View Post

I thought the 1522K didn't do 4K passthrough -- and "rumor" had it, was the reason they were clearing these out as the newer/replacement model did support 4K passthrough.

I'll be stoked if this does 4K passthrough. It means this will be my receiver for MANY years to come.

EDIT: Just confirmed -- the 1522 DOESN'T do 4K passthrough, the 1523 DOES.

The 1522K does support 4K passthrough per their own spec and literature (using the 1522 link you posted, under Specs -> Video Processing -> 4K Ultra HD Pass-Through is checked). The difference between the 1522 and 1523, is the 1523 supports 4k upscaling & 4k passthrough.

post #478 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

The 1522K does support 4K passthrough per their own spec and literature (using the 1522 link you posted, under Specs -> Video Processing -> 4K Ultra HD Pass-Through is checked). The difference between the 1522 and 1523, is the 1523 supports 4k upscaling & 4k passthrough.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Apologies for my incorrect post. I had heard otherwise -- and I was ASSuming that since I didn't see it listed under their main features listed in the bullet points on the top of the product description page, that it didn't have it.

Great news for me. I was having a smidge of buyer's remorse thinking that I'd have to upgrade whenever I went to a 4K TV.

Thanks for fixing/clarifying.
post #479 of 565 Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

There was a one hour special on Costco (The Costco Craze) on CNBC and they interviewed the founder and CEO who recently retired.  The show covered their extensive product selection process.  They stated that nothing in the store is ever marked up more than 14%.  This money is what covers all of their expenses including salaries.  They make all of their profits from the membership fees.  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #480 of 565 Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Just call your Costco and give them the item # (you can find it somewhere in the first few pages).
They can then tell you which Costco still has it in stock.

Thanks again for this tip. I am not a member of costco and tried having my local BB to match it but they were stunned by the price difference and said they cannot match a $1000 dollar drop. (he's a nice guy who has done enough favors to me in the past and I didn't want to push him on this.) Then realized that many friends of mine have the membership and so tried to track it down.

Apparently their warehouse in Northern Virginia (Getty something) has about 14 in stock! So for those in that area, try that store and my apologies for not remembering the correct city.

I also found out that there was one in south Jersey (Oceans Township) that had two. Went there last eve and was disappointed when I couldn't find it. Felt even worse when an extremel helpful worker told me that their records might not have been updated and that he might have only an open box but couldn't find that one too. He spent about 30 minutes to hunt it down and got the Manager's permission to move those big stuff from the top of the racks and finally found a new one!

So, just going by this thread - and thanks to Pioneer Elte's tip - i got one without knowing much about this receiver and remembering my local BB Magnolia's recommendation to grab it as soon as I can. smile.gif

Still not unpacked it but suspect that it will not fit in my cabinet and my lady begs me not to place it on top of the cabinet. Not sure what I am going to do.. mad.gif

Thanks again to everyone who posted on this thread, especially the OP who found this out.

btw to those in NY/NJ wanting to one: one more store in Long Island (believe location is Commack) has two in stock. In case you are heading there, call and ensure that they have it in stock and are not just going by their records before driving all the way. Just not worth the disappointment after the long drive.
Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page