AVS Forum banner

Pioneer SC 1522K for $599.99 at Costco

76K views 564 replies 183 participants last post by  SpeedNut 
#1 ·
Came across Pioneer SC 1522K at the Costco in South Seattle for $599.99. Seems like a very good deal. Agree?

#453 ·
Good to see Best Buy match the Costco deal. Welcome aboard you are going to love this 3rd generation class D amp. receiver! Remember it's almost exactly the same receiver as the Elite SC-65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23472641

Big shout out to those of you posting this deal. Just called around my area, and 2 stores had them in stock. Didn't want to drive the 45+ minutes to Costco, so I called Best Buy's 1-800 # and after 30+ minutes on the phone (they had to call Costco direct because they didn't believe me when I told them what the price was - it's still listed on Best Buy's site @ $1,599.99).

So I'm now a proud new owner of this fine receiver. Thanks again for posting this deal. Thankfully I saw this thread last night, as I was within an inch of pulling the trigger on the Newegg deal on the SC-1222-K for $499.

#454 ·
Not sure how you got BB to price match over Costco because i tried and called 3 times, spoke to 3 different persons and none would allow

price matching.

Then they transfered directly to the store closest to where Costco had it and after talking to his manager he said no way Best Buy would allow reducing by $1000.00 even if their advertisement say so.

Guess you are the lucky one!

So you bought it thru the phone,would you remember the name of the agent you spoke too? I might give it another try...!

#455 ·
Same thing here for me . Bb had an open box unused one for sale guy literally bought and brought back that evening they wanted 1249 I believe but told them about Costco and they matched the price. Granted it could have done something with myself buying 4k in stereo already but they will match keep reaching out to other bb.

#457 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guber  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23490049

Not sure how you got BB to price match over Costco because i tried and called 3 times, spoke to 3 different persons and none would allow

price matching.

Then they transfered directly to the store closest to where Costco had it and after talking to his manager he said no way Best Buy would allow reducing by $1000.00 even if their advertisement say so.

So you bought it thru the phone,would you remember the name of the agent you spoke too? I might give it another try...!
I would talk to the store manager and complain that they're violating their own store policy and you're going to file a complaint with your state if they refuse to match. BB has this item as a lowest price guarantee and if it's your local Costco they have to match it per their policy. If your Costco has none in stock, then I think they're within their rights to refuse to match the price since you can't buy it.

No where in this policy does it exclude warehouse clubs physical store locations. Actually, if you read the Price Match Guarantee FAQ, it actually says...

Does Best Buy match the prices of a Warehouse club?

Yes. We do match the prices of Warehouse clubs as long as the Warehouse club is a local retail competitor, has an identical immediately available product and all other price match criteria are met. We do not match the online prices of warehouse clubs if they vary from store prices.

Further proof that most who work at BB have no idea about what they sell or even their own policies.

Reactions: vivatech
#458 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23490600

How does this stack up to the Pioneer SC-61, I think I'm still within my 15 days to return that (open box $600). Anything gained with the 1522k?
The 1522k is essentially the same as a sc-65 (without the Elite badge).

You get 9.2 (vs 7.2) a little more power per channel and 3d & 4k pass through.

Go to pioneer's website: www.pioneerelectronics.com and just search for the two models and do a side by side comparison. Pioneer lists the specs for all models using the same format which makes comparing easier.

#461 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23497946

How about people with no Costco near them? We gotta try to make use of what is available.
But Best Buy won't match unless there is a local Costco (~25 mi.) that has it in stock. If you don't have a Costco near you, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy won't match.

Before their new Price Match agreement, they would always give me a hard time when I tried to get them to match B&H because they said it wasn't a local store (it was about 15 miles away, and to anyone in the NYC area it's a local store). But when I asked if they would match

a different store on LI (which was about 22 miles away) they said they would. After questioning why they would match a store that is farther away have them tell me B&H isn't local, they relented and say that they would only match this one time.

#462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23498003

But Best Buy won't match unless there is a local Costco (~25 mi.) that has it in stock. If you don't have a Costco near you, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy won't match.

Before their new Price Match agreement, they would always give me a hard time when I tried to get them to match B&H because they said it wasn't a local store (it was about 15 miles away, and to anyone in the NYC area it's a local store). But when I asked if they would match

a different store on LI (which was about 22 miles away) they said they would. After questioning why they would match a store that is farther away have them tell me B&H isn't local, they relented and say that they would only match this one time.

I see. Which BB do you go to? I moved to Jersey City and shop frequently at the BB store there. Wonderful experience and never had any trouble matching the prices (including that of Frys which don't have a shop here in the east coast).

#463 ·
If Costco is selling them at 599.00 and making a profit how much are they paying them ??, 399.00 ??,.... How much do they actually cost Pioneer to produce !!!

And to say other stores are selling them for 1599.00 .

It's crazy when u think of it buying this unit full price , when now we know about how much they must cost Pioneer to produce !!! 300.-400.00 ?? Who knows ,..maybe less since they are made in asia !!!

#464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23502364

If Costco is selling them at 599.00 and making a profit how much are they paying them ??, 399.00 ??,.... How much do they actually cost Pioneer to produce !!!

And to say other stores are selling them for 1599.00 .

It's crazy when u think of it buying this unit full price , when now we know about how much they must cost Pioneer to produce !!! 300.-400.00 ?? Who knows ,..maybe less since they are made in asia !!!

I've read (and this may be incorrect) that Costco basically sells at cost and they make their margin on membership fees.

Again, this is just something I read, doesn't mean that it's true or false.

#465 ·
Remember, that the cost of almost all electronics doesn't just include the cost of parts and labor. It also includes the cost of R&D & Engineering that went into it, which can get very expensive.

#469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedderpj13  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23472641

Big shout out to those of you posting this deal. Just called around my area, and 2 stores had them in stock. Didn't want to drive the 45+ minutes to Costco, so I called Best Buy's 1-800 # and after 30+ minutes on the phone (they had to call Costco direct because they didn't believe me when I told them what the price was - it's still listed on Best Buy's site @ $1,599.99).

So I'm now a proud new owner of this fine receiver. Thanks again for posting this deal. Thankfully I saw this thread last night, as I was within an inch of pulling the trigger on the Newegg deal on the SC-1222-K for $499.

Not sure if you are keeping track of this thread. If you are, can you let me know the two Costco stores which still had them when you contacted them a few weeks back please? Thanks!

#470 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23506658

Not sure if you are keeping track of this thread. If you are, can you let me know the two Costco stores which still had them when you contacted them a few weeks back please? Thanks!

Just call your Costco and give them the item # (you can find it somewhere in the first few pages).

They can then tell you which Costco still has it in stock.

Reactions: NYCPatsfan
#472 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiswes  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23503916

I've read (and this may be incorrect) that Costco basically sells at cost and they make their margin on membership fees.

Again, this is just something I read, doesn't mean that it's true or false.

I'm told Costco makes around 8% margin. $48 plus the annual $50 fee in my case. Which means Pioneer sold them to Costco for around $550. pioneer made about 200% margin with early launch list price sales. Classic product life cycle S curve. Great way for Pioneer to reduce remaining stock prior to the successor product launch.

#474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guber  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23490049

price matching.

I called the main Best Buy number when my local BB wouldn't price match in store. The store manager said there was no way he could do it since his cost was $900.

Over the phone, they confirmed stock at a local Costco and was able to successfully PM. Don't let them tell you they can't price match Costco -- it says in their fine print that they will price match "warehouses". Also, don't let them tell you they can't do it because it will require them to "lose money". That is against their price match terms as well.

#476 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte  /t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco/450#post_23491546

The 1522k is essentially the same as a sc-65 (without the Elite badge).

You get 9.2 (vs 7.2) a little more power per channel and 3d & 4k pass through.

Go to pioneer's website: www.pioneerelectronics.com and just search for the two models and do a side by side comparison. Pioneer lists the specs for all models using the same format which makes comparing easier.

I thought the 1522K didn't do 4K passthrough -- and "rumor" had it, was the reason they were clearing these out as the newer/replacement model did support 4K passthrough.

I'll be stoked if this does 4K passthrough. It means this will be my receiver for MANY years to come.

EDIT: Just confirmed -- the 1522 DOESN'T do 4K passthrough, the 1523 DOES.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.