Yamaha TSR-6750 = RX-V675 @ Costco $489.99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw at my Local Costco today in Arizona they had a Yamaha TSR-6750, which looks like a rebranded V675. The front and rear look identical except the model number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 AM

They appear identical, but I'm trying to figure out the differences as well . If they are the same, the pricing doesn't seem to make sense:

MSRP for RX-V675 = $649.95

MSRP for TSR-6750 = $849.95 (Costco price = $489.99)
post #3 of 43 Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Here's the reply iv received from yamaha:

'They are the same, the TSR-6750WA just comes with the wireless (YWA-10) adapter.'
post #4 of 43 Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't notice that it comes with the wireless adapter or not. I'm going there again tomorrow. If that's the case that's a pretty good deal. Street price for 675 is $550 to $600 without a wireless adapter, so it saves you a little. I would get it but I was able to snag the Frys deal 2 weeks back for $300.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-13-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Packaging any accessory with the RX-V675 allows Yamaha to give the new (AVR+WA combo) SKU a different UPC code from the Yamaha RX-V675 alone . . . and the TSR-6750 will probably be limited to sale by 'club' stores. This helps regular retail stores like Frys avoid having to price match the RX-V675 AVR which they carry packaged alone.
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #6 of 43 Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 AM

Hi,

I was just wondering if you ended up purchasing this unit? I was all set on a new receiver (Denon 2313ci) and then I passed this bad boy in Costco yesterday and now I'm rethinking my options. If you got it, what do you think about it?
post #7 of 43 Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I'm also considering buying the 675 at Newegg. I have a 30% off coupon and that would make the final cost of the receiver, $419.97.

Is that a good price or just about average for a normal sale price? I realize the retail price is much higher, but does anyone really pay the retail price for anything?

Thanks

John36
post #8 of 43 Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Did anyone buy this yet?

I am seriously considering it, but would like to read some reviews first.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #9 of 43 Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 AM

I just saw this today at Costco. Curious if anyone ended up purchasing and if so what they thought. Curious also as to thoughts on the iPad/iPhone remote control app. I would love to be able to sit on my deck (Zone 2) and control the system.

Smill411
Champagne Taste, Beer Budget
post #10 of 43 Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 PM

I just bought the TSR-6750 from Costco because my previous receiver, an RX-V3900, 1) doesn't pass 3D HDMI, 2) couldn't connect with WMP12, and 3) doesn't have remote apps for IOS and Android.

My experience with the 6750/675 is so far, so good. It was very simple to set up, it was recognized by all my network devices immediately with no problems, and the apps work well on both platforms. The on-screen menus are much simpler and easy to use than the 3900's (although it's a little annoying that the graphics aren't HD quality). The sound is great, as you'd expect from Yamaha, and the HDMI and Sound Field switching is much faster than with the 3900. The latter was a big problem, as it took a couple of seconds to switch from one mode to another.

I'm still getting to know it, so I won't report anything as a major problem until I can be sure that it's just that I haven't found the solution yet.

My "issues" so far:

YPAO: With the 3900 I could manually set the speaker size and subwoofer crossover point and the YPAO would run with those settings. The 6750/675 does not seem to permit that. It has decided that that the JBL G200 (not my pictures) bookshelf speakers I'm using as the main speakers in this setup are "large" and that the crossover to my subwoofer (JBL ES250P) should be at 40 Hz. (FYI, the room with this setup is quite small.) I'd rather set it higher so the main speakers aren't doing as much work.The EQ and levels set by the YPAO are good, but I'd rather have more control.

Sound field: according to the front panel display, the Straight and Music sound fields apparently don't use the subwoofer at all. I'm not clear why this should be.

But in general, I'm extremely happy with this receiver, and it's a great buy, cheaper than anywhere online that I could find.

Smill411: Sorry, I don't have an iPod, so I can't report on that.

Anyone want to buy an RX-V3900 in great shape? I'll throw in the YWA-10!
jesup likes this.
post #11 of 43 Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM

I can add to my previous report that the Zones don't work as I had hoped they would, nor does the analog audio output.

I have two other sound systems in the house, apart from the one in the family room with the 6750: the living room (rarely used) and my home office, which I use almost every day. Both get (analog) audio from the main system by way of an old Terk Leap Frog system that transmits audio via the house's regular telephone wiring. It's old, but it works great, and better than the wifi-based Audioengine W3 that I tried for a while.

I was hoping to send the Zone 2 output of the 6750 to the other two rooms. But there are a few problems. Zone 2 only can only play a subset of the receiver's inputs, and none of the HDMI sources, which are usually what I want to send. Also, there is no way to slave Zone 2 to Zone 1, so that they always play the same source.

Once I realized this, I decided to use the receiver's analog audio output as the source for the other rooms, but it only outputs audio from the four analog inputs. It doesn't convert the audio from digital sources, like HDMI, to analog. So again, I can't use it as I had hoped.

A workaround that I used on older receivers was to duplicate the inputs -- connect both the analog and digital outputs of a source to the receiver, so that analog-only outputs from the receiver would have sound -- doesn't work here because the HDMI inputs don't have any corresponding analog inputs.

As a result, I have ended up sending the other rooms the analog output of the cable box, which I tune to a no-talk, no-commercials music channel for background music while I work. It does what I need for ordinary working days, but I'm not getting the whole-house system I hoped to achieve.
post #12 of 43 Old 11-25-2013, 02:51 PM

FYI... my local Costco has the TSR-6750WA on special for $389 until Dec 2
post #13 of 43 Old 11-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As said ---$389 at Costco till 12/2- just got $100 refund from my purchase few weeks ago.
post #14 of 43 Old 11-26-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
After doing a lot of research, the Costco deal for the Yamaha 6750 seems like a no brainer and I plan on getting it today.

I will be replacing my Denon AVR 3300 which lasted me about 13 years and not cost effective to fix.

I am currently not running video through the receiver as my SD RP 60" Mits does not have HDMI inputs. Using Component cables for that.

Am also running Component from the DVD Player (Pioneer Elite DV-C36) to the Mits.

As far as the SAT receiver, that is Optical to the receiver and the video direct to the TV

My concerns would be the set up menu thru the TV. Is HDMI required for that on this unit? I don't know but if it is, I either would have to do the set up on a HDMI TV...(have to barrow one) or buy a HDMI to Component adaptor to connect to the TV for set up purposes.
post #15 of 43 Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Picked this up today for the bedroom. Thanks for the heads up! Can't believe this thing is selling for $390.

Theatre: Epson 6010, Carada BW CS 142", Yamaha RX-A3020, Amp: Emotiva XPA-5, Fr/Rr/Ctr: SVS Ultras, Pres: Def Tech: SM450/SM350, Rr Srd: Def Tech: SR-8040BP, Subs: Dual PB2000, Dual PB1000
BDR: Epson 3010, Vis Apex 135", Denon 4520, Fr/Rr/Ctr/Pres/WideInfinity RS-10/RS-5/CC3/RS-3(4), Subs: Dual PB2000
post #16 of 43 Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

My concerns would be the set up menu thru the TV. Is HDMI required for that on this unit? I don't know but if it is, I either would have to do the set up on a HDMI TV...(have to barrow one) or buy a HDMI to Component adaptor to connect to the TV for set up purposes.

Did you find the answer about the GUI and HDMI? I just setup this receiver tonight and I also have connected this to an older TV with a component connection. It's not sending the GUI to my TV through component. So at the moment, I'm not sure how to run through the settings. I do have a plasma with HDMI in another room, but I hate the idea of moving that around just to run the AVR setup.
post #17 of 43 Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 PM

Hey there DJ

Yes, I found out that a HDMI to Component or Composite adaptor may not work.

So I went to Target and purchased a 22" LG TV to set up the receiver and will then return the TV to Target later this week.

I have the receiver all set up but what I don't really understand is the need for a ARC to be on a HDMI port. I have my SAT REC plugged into the AV receiver via HDMI so I get DD decoding. Not sure why the need for ARC.

Next step....looking for a 60" or so LED LCD
post #18 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 06:12 AM

ARC is so your TV audio output (built in tuner and SMART apps) to the receiver without using the optical out from the TV to get it back into the reciever. ARC allows the audio channel to operate in reverse over the HDMI cable.

EDIT: RANT-ON ARC is an attempt to hide the error the industry is making by moving in the direction of so-called SMART TVs. TVs shouldn't be smart, they should be simple visual displays and nothing else. The AVR should have the ATSC and QCAM tuners built into it and all the "smart" apps should be in something like a ROKU box. This whole smart blu-ray stuff is for the birds too. It only serves to add a great deal of confusion and agravation to family members. I feel that there should be a logical flow to the signals and ARC violates that. I'd like to see more dumb 3d TV displays and less "smart" 2d TVs trying to emulate a PC. It only seems logical to put the TV tuner inside the AVR and skip the cheesy 10W amps and speakers and bloatware. RANT-OFF wink.gif
post #19 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

ARC is so your TV audio output (built in tuner and SMART apps) to the receiver without using the optical out from the TV to get it back into the reciever. ARC allows the audio channel to operate in reverse over the HDMI cable.

EDIT: RANT-ON ARC is an attempt to hide the error the industry is making by moving in the direction of so-called SMART TVs. TVs shouldn't be smart, they should be simple visual displays and nothing else. The AVR should have the ATSC and QCAM tuners built into it and all the "smart" apps should be in something like a ROKU box. This whole smart blu-ray stuff is for the birds too. It only serves to add a great deal of confusion and agravation to family members. I feel that there should be a logical flow to the signals and ARC violates that. I'd like to see more dumb 3d TV displays and less "smart" 2d TVs trying to emulate a PC. It only seems logical to put the TV tuner inside the AVR and skip the cheesy 10W amps and speakers and bloatware. RANT-OFF wink.gif

Yes, I agree anthony and thank you for the reply

So my question is this then. If I have a TV with ARC on the HDMI OUT and it is used to connect to the AV receiver, will I be capable of receiving DD decoding as if I would have connected my optical cable from my DD SAT receiver to the AV receiver?

So if the ARC HDMI OUT is used, what would the connection look like, I mean you still have to get the video source (Satellite receiver) to the AV receiver OR by using ARC are you hooking up HDMI from the SAT receiver to the TV now?
post #20 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM

As I understand it, ARC is only for audio that is generated from within the set such as by the internal OTA tuner or the smart apps. On my new system setup, my receiver switches to PC/CD mode automatically when I run a TV smart app or select the TV tuner input, I assume CEC is responsible for the automatic switching. This apparently picks off the audio from the ARC HDMI cable running from HDMI OUT on the receiver to HDMI IN on the TV. The receiver is not processing any video signal in this mode.

You should be able to get the highest quality audio by NOT using optical or coaxial SPDIF cabling. HDMI is capable of far more bandwidth in the audio department. You should just be able to set your receiver to use the HDMI audio coming from sat receiver. I no longer have any SPDIF cabling in my system and I have a Windows Media Center PC, a ROKU, a uVerse box, a sony blu-ray player and a Chromecast. Before I got my ARC compatible TV and receiver, I had to run a connection from the optical OUT of the TV to an optical IN on my older receiver. Then I would switch to Video3 and be able to hear the TV generated audio coming out the surround system. Now my system automatically switches to TV/CD mode to accomplish the same thing, but by pulling the audio from the ARC HDMI connection to the TV instead of relying on me to set up an optical audio connection from the TV to the receiver and configure the inputs to handle it.
post #21 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

As I understand it, ARC is only for audio that is generated from within the set such as by the internal OTA tuner or the smart apps. On my new system setup, my receiver switches to PC/CD mode automatically when I run a TV smart app or select the TV tuner input, I assume CEC is responsible for the automatic switching. This apparently picks off the audio from the ARC HDMI cable running from HDMI OUT on the receiver to HDMI IN on the TV. The receiver is not processing any video signal in this mode.

You should be able to get the highest quality audio by NOT using optical or coaxial SPDIF cabling. HDMI is capable of far more bandwidth in the audio department. You should just be able to set your receiver to use the HDMI audio coming from sat receiver. I no longer have any SPDIF cabling in my system and I have a Windows Media Center PC, a ROKU, a uVerse box, a sony blu-ray player and a Chromecast. Before I got my ARC compatible TV and receiver, I had to run a connection from the optical OUT of the TV to an optical IN on my older receiver. Then I would switch to Video3 and be able to hear the TV generated audio coming out the surround system. Now my system automatically switches to TV/CD mode to accomplish the same thing, but by pulling the audio from the ARC HDMI connection to the TV instead of relying on me to set up an optical audio connection from the TV to the receiver and configure the inputs to handle it.

Thank you anthony once again

This is my current set up:

Mits TV SD (no HDMI)
Dish DD SAT receiver (w/ HDMI)
AV receiver

The current hook up is:

S Video from SAT to TV
Optical from SAT to receiver

With a "smart tv" and only these 3 components, how would the hookup look like?
post #22 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Assuming your not going to be using the SD TV any more. I would just run HDMI from the sat receiver to one of the AVR HDMI inputs (the manufacturers tend to make recommendations on which port to use) and then run an HDMI cable from the AVR HDMI OUT to the new smart TV. Turning on ARC in the TV and the AVR should allow your TVs internal tuner and smart apps to push audio to the AVR using ARC. You may have to manually switch an input on the AVR to hear the sound though. Sound from your sat receiver will be picked off the HDMI cable by the AVR before it leaves the AVR. The AVR will decode the audio and put it out your surround speakers when you are using the sat receiver. You shouldn't need any optical cabling provided your AVR (and TV) supports ARC.

EDIT:

SAT -> HDMI -> AVR INPUT x
AVR OUTPUT -> HDMI -> Smart TV

Mits SD TV -> curbside wink.gif
post #23 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Hey there DJ

So I went to Target and purchased a 22" LG TV to set up the receiver and will then return the TV to Target later this week.

I have the receiver all set up but what I don't really understand is the need for a ARC to be on a HDMI port. I have my SAT REC plugged into the AV receiver via HDMI so I get DD decoding. Not sure why the need for ARC.

Next step....looking for a 60" or so LED LCD

Strangely enough, you just resolved my problem. I work in the IT field and have a bunch of touch screen LCDs for computers. All of those use VGA and I don't have an adapter to change to HDMI on hand. So I stopped considering monitors in my home. But when you mentioned the 22" LG TV, I realized I was not considering the most obvious device that I have. My own desktop LCD. lol Sure enough, my 27" desktop monitor has HDMI. That's easy enough to temporarily relocate.

I am in the same boat as you...looking for a new 60" LCD. I've been using a Panny 47" widescreen rear projection TV for about 15 years and it still works perfectly, but the lack of HDMI has become a thorn. I can also say after buying a 50" Panny plasma for the bedroom a year ago, I have since been dissatisfied with my rear project anyway.

Good luck in your search. I really want another Panny plasma, but I'm worried the room may be too bright.
post #24 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Another thing to consider is that many newer monitors have DVI inputs and they are fairly simple to convert to HDMI using a cheap adapter.
post #25 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM

I was at Costco yesterday and saw these selling for $389, and thought that I'd like to have one, but I couldn't justify buying something for myself so near to Christmas. I left with only the stuff I'd come for in the first place. An hour later I was back at Costco, and now I have a TSR-6750WA. I have no self control whatsoever. I've been playing with it for a couple of days now, and so far I'm quite happy with it. I think I got a good deal.
post #26 of 43 Old 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Planning to buy this receiver with Energy 5.1 Take Classic speakers . This will be my first decent home theater system

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #27 of 43 Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post

I was at Costco yesterday and saw these selling for $389, and thought that I'd like to have one, but I couldn't justify buying something for myself so near to Christmas. I left with only the stuff I'd come for in the first place. An hour later I was back at Costco, and now I have a TSR-6750WA. I have no self control whatsoever. I've been playing with it for a couple of days now, and so far I'm quite happy with it. I think I got a good deal.

Yes, it is a great deal and I am enjoying mine as well
post #28 of 43 Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Yes, it is a great deal and I am enjoying mine as well

I think you got an excellent deal as well. If I hadn't gotten the deal I did on my new onkyo tx-nr828, it's what I would have gotten even though I would have had to renew my membership. I don't really understand the folks that preferred the 673 (last years model without the wireless adapter included) just because it was $299. I just figured that having the current year model AND the expensive wireless adapter was well worth the extra $90. That's my stance anyway.
post #29 of 43 Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I think you got an excellent deal as well. If I hadn't gotten the deal I did on my new onkyo tx-nr828, it's what I would have gotten even though I would have had to renew my membership. I don't really understand the folks that preferred the 673 (last years model without the wireless adapter included) just because it was $299. I just figured that having the current year model AND the expensive wireless adapter was well worth the extra $90. That's my stance anyway.

Hey there Anthony

Nice to hear from you again in this thread and thank you for all your help

Why do I want a Samsung LED LCD....I don't know, except I have always admired their picture

Looking at a 7000 or 8000 series at this time.
post #30 of 43 Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 AM

tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAge View Post

FYI... my local Costco has the TSR-6750WA on special for $389 until Dec 2

Thank you very much for the heads up... this was a screaming good deal.

Quote:

eek.gif Really!? You couldn't borrow an HDMI set from a friend or do this some other way? I think this is not a good faith use of Target's return policy. JMHO. cool.gif

Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V675 by PriceGrabber.com