Onkyo TXNR818 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver $699.99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sold by OneCall.com. Offer ends 10/19

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0X61199&nm_mc=EMC-MP101313&cm_mmc=EMC-MP101313-_-EMC-101313-Index-_-index-_-9SIA2GA0X61199
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 206

OneCall is an authorized reseller, though newegg is not. I wonder how that would work for warranty claims.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3 of 22 Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

OneCall is an authorized reseller, though newegg is not. I wonder how that would work for warranty claims.

According to the details page it has a one year warranty on parts and labor. Not sure how accurate that is.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #4 of 22 Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Liked: 10
I see that OneCall is selling it for the same price through Amazon right now as well.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 12
Will Black Friday bring down the prices on this receiver ? Any thoughts ?
post #6 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Cheapest this AVR has been that I'm aware of was $649 at a Amazon Gold Box type limited time sale.

You've been occassionally able to buy it as a refrub for around the $650 mark too.

$699 for a new unit is a good price, and I woulnd't expect it will ever go very much lower.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #7 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Cheapest this AVR has been that I'm aware of was $649 at a Amazon Gold Box type limited time sale.

You've been occassionally able to buy it as a refrub for around the $650 mark too.

$699 for a new unit is a good price, and I woulnd't expect it will ever go very much lower.

Obviously, this is the exception to the rule, but I paid $518.17 directly from Onkyo back in May. They had a brief special.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

$640. Last day at this price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2GA0X61199

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #9 of 22 Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11
I suggest that anyone interested in an 828 call JD at AVScience and see if he still has the other 828 in stock. I won't blab the price, but I got one from him for really cheap.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

I suggest that anyone interested in an 828 call JD at AVScience and see if he still has the other 828 in stock. I won't blab the price, but I got one from him for really cheap.

While I recommend supporting AVS, why would you want an 828 instead of an 818? The 828 is inferior to an 818.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

While I recommend supporting AVS, why would you want an 828 instead of an 818? The 828 is inferior to an 818.

I'd proffer "Why would you buy Onkyo, period?"

After their dreadful HDMI daughter board failures ( because they wanted to save 20-cents on some cpacitors) and asking $600+ for a repair, they'll never get another cent from me. Be warned
post #12 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

It's my understanding that the 818 doesn't support 4K switching.

EDIT: It also doesn't support DLNA, MHL, nor does it have built in Bluetooth and WiFi. And then there is all the HDMI stuff like ARC, Deep Color, CEC, SACD and PCM audio formats. Finally, I like to control my stuff from my tablet and the 818 doesn't support the remote app as I understand it anyway.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

I'd proffer "Why would you buy Onkyo, period?"

After their dreadful HDMI daughter board failures ( because they wanted to save 20-cents on some cpacitors) and asking $600+ for a repair, they'll never get another cent from me. Be warned

I have a 604B that's basically been on the whole time since I bought it 7 years ago. No surge protection and equipment stacked on top. It just bakes the entire time. Never a problem with HDMI or anything else for that matter. That's what squaretrade is for anyhow. If it breaks and can't be fixed, they just give me all my money back to put towards something else. I don't buy a lot of extended warranties, but some things are just a no-brainer like accidental damage protection on a tablet or an extended warranty on a TV or receiver.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a 604B that's basically been on the whole time since I bought it 7 years ago. No surge protection and equipment stacked on top. It just bakes the entire time. Never a problem with HDMI or anything else for that matter. That's what squaretrade is for anyhow. If it breaks and can't be fixed, they just give me all my money back to put towards something else. I don't buy a lot of extended warranties, but some things are just a no-brainer like accidental damage protection on a tablet or an extended warranty on a TV or receiver.

I don't think that HDMI issue was on AVR's that old.

How much was the square trade and how long does it last?
post #15 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct. The HDMI issues didn't show up in quantities till the 807 and the failures usually happened around the two year mark or a little after.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #16 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's my understanding that the 818 doesn't support 4K switching.

EDIT: It also doesn't support DLNA, MHL, nor does it have built in Bluetooth and WiFi. And then there is all the HDMI stuff like ARC, Deep Color, CEC, SACD and PCM audio formats. Finally, I like to control my stuff from my tablet and the 818 doesn't support the remote app as I understand it anyway.

Everyone has different priorities with their equipment. To me, the inferior version of Audyssey trumps all of the other "gadgets". I don't think many people have 4k TVs and probably won't for a while. Also, I have everything hard wired, so the built in WiFi is irrelevant to me.

It sounds like the 828 is a better option for you and your requirements, but I will take superior sound quality over gadgets any day.

Besides, they sold the other 828 that they had the deal on! biggrin.gif

Edit: Also, about the Deep Color, etc., this is a post from the official 818 thread:

According to the 818 online manual, page 7, under features>processing;

HDMI (Audio Return Channel, 3D, DeepColor,
x.v.Color, Lip Sync, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD
High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital
Plus, DSD and Multi-CH PCM)

I know it has Deep Color because I have turned it on/off on occasions.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

How much was the square trade and how long does it last?

As hot as the thing runs, I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been any trouble with it. The warranty on my new receiver will be $90 - 30% ($63) for 3 years. Here is the low down on the warranty:
http://www.squaretrade.com/hometheater-warranty
the new TV cost me $169 - 30% ($118.30) for 4 years and here is the run down on it:
http://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty

Like I said, they seem like a no-brainer since the extended warranty is much less than the money I saved by purchasing the equipment on sale. They cover normal wear and tear damage and dead pixels or backlights, broken buttons, bad power supplies etc. So far I haven't had to make any claims, but the people that have sure say good things about them. They even go to bat for you with the manufacturer during the initial part of the warranty where the product is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty and pick up where they leave off during that period.

On the bad HDMI boards, I could see where ordinary caps could fail after a couple years of that much heat.
mark_anderson_u likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As hot as the thing runs, I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been any trouble with it. The warranty on my new receiver will be $90 - 30% ($63) for 3 years. Here is the low down on the warranty:
http://www.squaretrade.com/hometheater-warranty
the new TV cost me $169 - 30% ($118.30) for 4 years and here is the run down on it:
http://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty

Like I said, they seem like a no-brainer since the extended warranty is much less than the money I saved by purchasing the equipment on sale. They cover normal wear and tear damage and dead pixels or backlights, broken buttons, bad power supplies etc. So far I haven't had to make any claims, but the people that have sure say good things about them. They even go to bat for you with the manufacturer during the initial part of the warranty where the product is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty and pick up where they leave off during that period.

On the bad HDMI boards, I could see where ordinary caps could fail after a couple years of that much heat.

Thanks for the warranty info

Regarding the caps, IMHO it's bordering on criminal for a $2000+ receiver. Apparently the same problem exists on Integra, which is supposed to be their high end product. It's beggars belief that anyone could build this product and not figure out this is gonna happen. I just bought a $160 Asus motherboard and that has military grade components on it. Anyway, enough said.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Everyone has different priorities with their equipment. To me, the inferior version of Audyssey trumps all of the other "gadgets". I don't think many people have 4k TVs and probably won't for a while. Also, I have everything hard wired, so the built in WiFi is irrelevant to me.

It sounds like the 828 is a better option for you and your requirements, but I will take superior sound quality over gadgets any day.

Besides, they sold the other 828 that they had the deal on! biggrin.gif

Edit: Also, about the Deep Color, etc., this is a post from the official 818 thread:

According to the 818 online manual, page 7, under features>processing;

HDMI (Audio Return Channel, 3D, DeepColor,
x.v.Color, Lip Sync, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD
High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital
Plus, DSD and Multi-CH PCM)

I know it has Deep Color because I have turned it on/off on occasions.

Ok, I stand corrected on the deep color stuff. 4K is definitely here though, just not within my price range yet. The whole reason I'm upgrading my receiver now is because I can't stand having only 2 HDMI ports and cable swapping all the time; the lack of support for Dolby Plus was the final straw. I've just upgraded to a 3d TV too, so it's definitely time for a new receiver. I checked them all out, but I decide to go with Onkyo because of functionality even though I'd read about the HDMI problems. I will use the hardwire for the network too, but the Bluetooth will be handy. I prefer using the tablet to four remote controls. I've tried a harmony and didn't like it, plus it wouldn't work with my new LG TV anyway since it has a "magic wand" wii like controller. There is an android app out there that is coming along nicely that integrates all your equipment into one app making this usable by people like my wife. wink.gif

Right now I'm running a media center PC, and old Roku, Chromecast, a 3D Blu-ray player, and a Wii. This is my attempt at getting rid of uverse since we only watch a limited amount of stuff and replacing it with streaming thru a high speed (75 mbps) cable connection. TV will be limited to my OTA outside antenna (>100 digital channels received), rented disks and streaming apps like netflix and encore play. I should be able to cut my TV/phone/internet bill by more than 50% and only lose a very limited amount of stuff that we actually care for. The cable will provide basic digital HD + starz/encore channels. The land line will become either magicjack + or that other 10/month service. Right now I only get about 6Mb/S and a bunch of channels I don't watch.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the warranty info

Regarding the caps, IMHO it's bordering on criminal for a $2000+ receiver. Apparently the same problem exists on Integra, which is supposed to be their high end product. It's beggars belief that anyone could build this product and not figure out this is gonna happen. I just bought a $160 Asus motherboard and that has military grade components on it. Anyway, enough said.

I don't know how old you are, but there have been two major rounds of bad cap motherboards over the years that I can recall. The first was due to industrial espionage gone wrong when an electrolyte formula was stolen but gotten wrong. This stuff went into scads of falsely branded capacitors and consequently a bunch of motherboards in the early 2000's. Then a few years (ca 2007) later there were a bunch of bad cap boards due to over-filled caps that would burst open. In both cases it was the high-end manufacturers that got hurt the worst since they thought they were buying a good product. Solid caps are definitely popular now. Electrolytic caps are typically the number one problem maker as they age (dry up, leak, change value and ESR) with time and heat only speeds things up.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I stand corrected on the deep color stuff. 4K is definitely here though, just not within my price range yet. The whole reason I'm upgrading my receiver now is because I can't stand having only 2 HDMI ports and cable swapping all the time; the lack of support for Dolby Plus was the final straw. I've just upgraded to a 3d TV too, so it's definitely time for a new receiver. I checked them all out, but I decide to go with Onkyo because of functionality even though I'd read about the HDMI problems. I will use the hardwire for the network too, but the Bluetooth will be handy. I prefer using the tablet to four remote controls. I've tried a harmony and didn't like it, plus it wouldn't work with my new LG TV anyway since it has a "magic wand" wii like controller. There is an android app out there that is coming along nicely that integrates all your equipment into one app making this usable by people like my wife. wink.gif

Right now I'm running a media center PC, and old Roku, Chromecast, a 3D Blu-ray player, and a Wii. This is my attempt at getting rid of uverse since we only watch a limited amount of stuff and replacing it with streaming thru a high speed (75 mbps) cable connection. TV will be limited to my OTA outside antenna (>100 digital channels received), rented disks and streaming apps like netflix and encore play. I should be able to cut my TV/phone/internet bill by more than 50% and only lose a very limited amount of stuff that we actually care for. The cable will provide basic digital HD + starz/encore channels. The land line will become either magicjack + or that other 10/month service. Right now I only get about 6Mb/S and a bunch of channels I don't watch.

You could just buy an inexpensive HDMI switch ($50) and wait until you're ready to move to 4K and do it all at once. I'd definitely wait for HDMI2.0 if I was int he market
post #22 of 22 Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

You could just buy an inexpensive HDMI switch ($50) and wait until you're ready to move to 4K and do it all at once. I'd definitely wait for HDMI2.0 if I was int he market

Yeah, but I can't wait any longer and the HDMI switch won't solve my Dolby problems anyway, so I'm jumping on now. Right now it looks like HDMI 2.0 is mostly going to benefit gamers and I'm not a big gamer so... I figure by the time I can afford a 4K 3D TV that I'll be in the market for another receiver anyway. They'll probably have new, unsupported Dolby formats by then too.
Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page