Polk Monitor 70 Series 2 $150.00 ea. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262

They haven't been priced this low in quite awhile. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL102513&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102513-_-EMC-102513-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82290208-L0K

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Newegg is having a a sale on a lot of Polk speakers through tomorrow, 26 October.

http://www.newegg.com/Home-Audio-Speakers/BrandSubCat/ID-12345-494
post #3 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 10
How good of a deal is this?
post #4 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachlillemon View Post

How good of a deal is this?

Likely as good as it's going to get for the Monitor 60's and 70's. The timbre matching CS2 center has sold for less in the past.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #5 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 PM

These pretty decent? Seems like a great deal for 300 bucks. I was thinking about getting a pair of the KEF Q100s, but these would be about 250 less.

Completely different styles, bookshelf vs tower. Hate to pass up good deals.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwantoby View Post

These pretty decent? Seems like a great deal for 300 bucks. I was thinking about getting a pair of the KEF Q100s, but these would be about 250 less.

Completely different styles, bookshelf vs tower. Hate to pass up good deals.

They are a bargain at that price but weather you'll like them is anyone's guess. You'll have to factor in some stands for the KEF's also unless you don't need them.

I'd be tempted to swing with the KEFs if you have or are planning on having a decent sub. No sub the Polks.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #7 of 15 Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 AM

These generally non fatiguing ? Could save a bit of cash. Just want to be happy. Getting sick of my built in TV speakers!

post #8 of 15 Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 AM

Liked: 12
I got these a couple years ago from the Egg. They have been out of stock ever since. I'm surprised to see them back now. They are hard to beat for the $$$.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Liked: 20
Same here I love my pokies
post #10 of 15 Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 AM

How would you guys compare these to the Polk 75-T's or the Klipsch Synergy F-30's?  Looking for 3 towers to use as my fronts and center, which would you recommend? I'm looking for something in this price point, any other suggestions??

post #11 of 15 Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskadeez View Post

How would you guys compare these to the Polk 75-T's or the Klipsch Synergy F-30's?  Looking for 3 towers to use as my fronts and center, which would you recommend? I'm looking for something in this price point, any other suggestions??

If you go with the Polks you might as well get the 70's and save some money since they are currently half the price. Other than the tweeter being in a different location they are basically the same speaker and sound very much alike. Can't say if you would prefer the Klipsch or Polk. We all have different tastes in sound. No point in using another persons ears.

67jason likes this.

Denon AVR4311CI
(2) Polk RT15i
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
post #12 of 15 Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Since there are a few folks here wondering if the monitors would be a good buy for them allow me to post up some thoughts on my experience with the monitors. This was orginally in a PM message to another forum member who contacted me asking for my thoughts on the 70's:

The Monitor series are sort of an enigma, and the Monitor 70's more so then the rest of the line (and I have all the monitor line speakers in 2 different set ups). There isn't much out there that can really compete with them price to performance wise. The Andrew Jones Pioneers and the Infinity Primus series are the most readily available speakers that are somewhat comparable. I did not care much for either, especially the Pioneers when I was shopping for speakers. For a person who is on a strict budget and wants a good HT/Stereo set up the Polk Monitors are really the best there is at this price point in my opinion. That is not to say they are "great" speakers, because they really are not, but most speakers are not "great" speakers, most are average to good. Lots of folks have posted up thoughts regarding the tweeter design, saying that they can be a tad harsh at times and I have experienced a certain "boxy" sound with mine, but a bit of tweaking on their placement and a few runs of audyssey and adding the right amount of power, I have cured that issue in my room.

There are better speakers out there for sure. The RTi and RTiA series are both better, better sounding, better construction, and better materials. Now this doesn't make the monitors a bad speaker per se, it just denotes that there are better out there. When comparing the Monitor 70 to the RTi8 or RTiA7 specifically the betterness becomes less apparent. At this point you are comparing the Top Of The Line Monitor Tower to the Bottom Of The Line Tower of the next series up in Polk's line up. While it is true that the RTi and RTiA series are technically better, how much better are the low end models compared to a top end model in the line directly below? Hard to really say, and if the cost savings is significant between the Monitor 70 and the RTi8 then by all means go for the Monitors, if the cost is not an issues get the RTi's.

Now on to my Monitor experience. When I first got them I was really impressed with the sound and performance. After some time with them, many months, I began to notice some short comings....a bit boxy here, and tad boomy there, a touch of harshness once in a while. Also during this time I listened to some other significantly better speakers (Kef Q900's, RTiA9's, some Monitor Audio speakers I cant recall the model of, and some B&W's). These "better" speakers really showed me the short comings of my 70's. In fact after owning the 70's for about 2 years I was ready to move on to bigger and better. I was all set to get some Kef Q series, but alas, a used xpa-2 fell into my lap for a price I couldn't pass up....and let me tell you what I discovered...the Monitor 70's LOVE power. It was like a different speaker. No more being a tad boxy, no more touches of harshness, no more boomyness. Sonically they still sound like Monitors, but the additional headroom allows to the perform at all volume levels with ease. I no longer have a desire to upgrade my speakers at this time. I love what I am getting from my monitors now.

If I could describe the sound signature of the 70's, I would call them neutral with just a touch of brightness and a touch of warmth at the same time. They are not exactly 100% accurate, but they do sound really good with the right set up with a good source and the right amount of power available to them. I primarily listen to electronic based music to include 80's style synth pop, electronica, industrial, new wave, goth, ebm as well as some alternative rock from the 90's and 00's and some classic rock - mainly progressive and psychedelic (think moody blues and pink floyd) and some hair band stuff from the 80's. With this wide selection of genres the monitors really do sound good playing it all. I feel they really do shine best with electronic music the most, but the instrument based rock is also really good - on the right recordings - there is a lot of rock music that has some pretty ****** sounding recordings. Blu-Ray lossless sound tracks sound awesome too...these are a good double duty - music and HT - speaker.

I would recommend any one with a limited budget to try out the Monitors series, the 70's and 60's specifically. I don't think the Monitor line will go down in speaker history as "something special", but they will go down in speaker history as being a fabulous budget speaker and a very very good stepping stone into the world of high fidelity home audio. It also of interest to note that when the Monitor 70's first hit the market they cost just shy of $1000 a pair. Now days due to economies of scale and distribution Polk can get away with selling them for nearly 70% less. Twice the Monitor series was officially discontinued. The first time was when the TSi series hit the market - same speaker as the monitors just dressed up in a different suit. The second time with the release of the newer TSx series and the New Monitor series. But it seems that the Monitor 70's just cant be killed, as they keep coming up for sale on Polk Ebay, Newegg, Amazon and other places. That says something to me about the demand for them.
XStanleyX, corekneelius and vlee8 like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #13 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 AM

Liked: 50
I had 2 pairs of Monitor 70s as fronts & surrounds & just sold them all on Ebay for $100 ea & although I loved the speakers, sounded really good when cranked up a bit, I always wanted the Rti A7 as fronts, the cabinets are a cut above the Monitor line. I orginally purchased my Monitors for ~$279/pr so think using them 18 months was a real return on their value! Never had an issue with quality, just wasn't all that keen on the finish (cherry). Would absolutely recommend them to anyone on a budget!!! biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #14 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM

back at newegg for $150 ea. with code EMCYTZT5365.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208

post #15 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
Reply Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page