Monster Power HTS 5100 MKII Power Center - Signature Edition - $256.41 shipped at B&H Photo. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By noah katz
  • 1 Post By Archaea
  • 1 Post By Maddmaster
  • 1 Post By harjms

post #1 of 19 Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
http://slickdeals.net/f/6670690-monster-power-hts-5100-mkii-power-center-signature-edition-256-41-at-b-h-photo?p=65832074

I think these things are worth $250 pretty easily. I recently killed mine with a 12 volt trigger 20amp switching project that went awry and needed another one. This is a good price for a solid piece of kit. When I use one of these it eliminates visible projector flickering in my home, and we have unstable power in my neighborhood - so it's good for peace of mind to let it be taking the power hits and not my expensive AV gear.

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I wouldn't touch it after reading the Amazon reviews, especially the one about denial of warranty coverage

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-HTS-5100-MKII-PowerCenter/product-reviews/B000C20YDY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
jinj likes this.

Noah
post #3 of 19 Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth my friend who was an electronics tech is going to take a look at my 2006 purchased Monster Power HTS-5100 that failed, and try to fix it. He knows at minimum from some quick multimeter testing that the 120v to 20v transformer failed. That part costs about $20. He can go from there and see if anything else has failed. His inital impressions after opening the case at our office to just take a quick look was that Monster really overdid the quality on the HTS 5100 MKII system and that it didn't look like any shortcuts were taken. He said he was impressed and surprised. Examples include larger gauge wire than needed - even internally - where they wouldn't be seen, high quality components, solid state switches that were over-rated from what amperage was needed ect... Contrast that to a dead Behringer EP4000 amp I also brought in to have him also take a look at, and he said the quality/craftsmanship/attention to detail on the Behringer internals was far less impressive. He said it was like two classroom examples on opposite ends of the spectrum of what craftmanship looks like vs. doesn't. The EP4000 literally has electrical tape in multiple places internally, hot glue gun stringy spider trails in places, and few wire ties - so resulting messy wire routing with generally sloppier build quality compared to the Monster internals. Behringer products work fine, and I happily own multiple products Behringer makes - so I take this to mean Monster at least has a little integrity in what they produce under the hood.

I'm still glad to have the Monster Power HTS in the system --- if somethings going to take a surge and die from a hit I'd rather have it be at $260 sale priced surge protector power filter than several thousand dollars worth of other AV components.

Monster HTS 5100 MKII internals
2therock likes this.

Archaea's FS Thread
post #4 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Makes sense, the Behringer is a Chinese POS QSC RMX knockoff. Though I am surprised that Monster is discontinuing this one.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
post #5 of 19 Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fix status?

Did you ever get your HTS5100MKII fixed? I'm trying like crazy to find the proper transformer as mine appears to have blown also and took out some nearby resistors and copper pc board filaments. Yours looks like it has some distinguishing marks on it but I can't see from the picture and mine has marks that don't come up on any search engine. 120v to 20v transformer is a tough search for me as mine is a six pin, four on one side, two on the other. Please and thank you.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@OP3CRIMSIN

We didn't figure it out, and to take a gamble at what he though was wrong was going to cost like $60 buck with no certainty it would fix it. -- So I sold it to the guy for like $15 or $20 bucks for parts. I don't know if he still has it. I work with him. I can ask him.

Archaea's FS Thread
post #7 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's a good idea to put a whole house surge protector on the main amplifier panel, also. As I advise this, I still have to get around to
putting one of these on myself yet. Been lazy. In general monster tends to be pretty good for these. I got 3 of the monster power pro
3500's, with one that is powered on 24hrs a day. I am quite sure that puppy has be on for the last 5 or 6 years.

Nice decoration also. I like them more for the extra convenience of having rack mounted plugs available for all my gear, more than for protection. I have only used these for the last 5 or 6 years, and before I ever had one, I never lost a piece of gear to anything.
One of the benefits of living in a cold climate, with few storms, and the cheapest and best power generating stations in the world.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post
It's a good idea to put a whole house surge protector on the main amplifier panel, also. As I advise this, I still have to get around to putting one of these on myself yet. Been lazy.
I agree, and am also lazy!!
Was accually thinking about this today.
About 2 years ago our house was hit by lightning. I saw it hit in the yard!
I think the surge went up the satelite cables.
Took out 2 60"LG pasma's, 3 BD players, all the Satelite recievers/modem, and one high pressure barn light!
The TV's were on generic surge protectors, didn't help.
Since then I now run everything through a Monster HTS 5100 MKII

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
post #9 of 19 Old 01-29-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
I agree, and am also lazy!!
Was accually thinking about this today.
About 2 years ago our house was hit by lightning. I saw it hit in the yard!
I think the surge went up the satelite cables.
Took out 2 60"LG pasma's, 3 BD players, all the Satelite recievers/modem, and one high pressure barn light!
The TV's were on generic surge protectors, didn't help.
Since then I now run everything through a Monster HTS 5100 MKII
sounds like a nice insurance payout

I saw this unit at Fry's on clearance for like $180

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio M50A2R Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC87 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Yamaha A2040 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #10 of 19 Old 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I was lazy about getting the whole home surge as well. Then one day i jump up and called some to do it. I'm glad I did, it's a little piece of mind considering how much we spend on our obsessions. I still have 2 trip lite ups for my computers, and 3 APC ups for my home theater equipment throughout the house to protect from brownouts and power failure

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar

Last edited by loudog2; 01-30-2016 at 03:46 AM.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-30-2016, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
I was lazy about getting the whole home surge as well. Then one day i jump up and called some to do it. I'm glad I did, it's a little piece of mind considering how much we spend on our obsessions. I still have 2 trip lite ups for my computers, and 3 APC ups for my home theater equipment throughout the house to protect from brownouts and power failure
Last time I checked home depot it was going to run me less than 100 to do it myself. Even if you got an electrician to do it, I cant see the bill being more than 150.00 for the install. I will probably get it done before storm season this summer. We usually only get two real bad ones a year.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post
Last time I checked home depot it was going to run me less than 100 to do it myself. Even if you got an electrician to do it, I cant see the bill being more than 150.00 for the install. I will probably get it done before storm season this summer. We usually only get two real bad ones a year.
I've used 2 Monster HTS 5000's for years and both are still doing their job. I have 3 high output power amps connected so they get taxed almost daily.
scottvamp likes this.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #13 of 19 Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Good idea and thread. I have some equipment that I would not want damaged or destroyed--at least not without being responsible, and having done what I could to protect it.

Will appreciate specific recommendations for a whole-house type surge protector. Need not be pretty, but should be effective. Perhaps one that could be installed at the junction box? Or not?

Not to handicap any ideas, but I am of "Scottish" temperament, so benefit-to-cost ratio has a LOT of influence with me.

Thanks for your help.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 AM

^ Re my post above, another question concerns whether damaging surges from INSIDE the house should be considered, too? How?

Thanks.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminSTL View Post
Good idea and thread. I have some equipment that I would not want damaged or destroyed--at least not without being responsible, and having done what I could to protect it.

Will appreciate specific recommendations for a whole-house type surge protector. Need not be pretty, but should be effective. Perhaps one that could be installed at the junction box? Or not?

Not to handicap any ideas, but I am of "Scottish" temperament, so benefit-to-cost ratio has a LOT of influence with me.

Thanks for your help.
This is what I installed for my whole home surge protector. It installs in the panel(well on to the panel). Took about 10 minutes to install. You'll need a 50 Amp 240V breaker for full protection. Best if installed nearest to main feed. Keep the surge device closest to the CB as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Eaton-CHSPT2UL.../dp/B00JV3D12G
post #16 of 19 Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 AM

^ Thanks, harjms. Will attempt to understand what I read there--an electrician, I am not!
post #17 of 19 Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminSTL View Post
^ Thanks, harjms. Will attempt to understand what I read there--an electrician, I am not!
Ha, either am I but it's was easy to understand the 2nd time around (moved, and installed a new one in current home).

The big thing is you'll need room in your electric panel. This unit requires two slots so that a 240V, 2 pole breaker will fit. ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...50CP/202353323 ) You'll need one specific to your panel type.

Next thing is hopefully your open slots is closets to the main feeds. This is where the power from the street enters your house. It's best to have it close to it, but not a deal breaker.

Then once you know where you'll install it, you'll want to mount the device closest to that circuit breaker. The thing is you'll want to keep the wires as short as possible and still be able to connect to the newly installed circuit breaker. Don't forget to twist the red/black wires that connect to the circuit breaker. 1 twist/inch should be fine. You'll connect the green to the ground bus bar, and the white to the neutral bus bar.

Easy right? It's a little intimidating, but if you take your time and don't pretend you're an electrician because you're in the panel, you should be good.

***Also note that some utility providers will install a surge device at the meter for a monthly fee. Here it's $6.99/month and is backed by a $50K replacement warranty. Plus if it ever fails, they come out and replace. I don't use it because I use a different utility provider.
JiminSTL likes this.

Last edited by harjms; 03-11-2016 at 05:07 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 AM

harjms, thanks again, for taking the time to explain. I actually understood--well, some, anyway. Enough to know that: 1) I will get it done soon, and 2) I will get a family member who can be persuaded to work cheaply to do it with/for me. Not sure that my insurance company recognizes "stupidity" as a covered item. I KNOW it would be a tough sale to my wife when I explained that the reason the house is burned down is "Just one of those silly things that happen in life."
post #19 of 19 Old 03-11-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have had a Signature Monster HTS5100 for almost 15 years now and not a single issue. It looks and performs just like the day I bought it. Matched my pair MPA3250's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals