Monster Power HTS 5100 MKII Power Center - Signature Edition - $256.41 shipped at B&H Photo. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 470
http://slickdeals.net/f/6670690-monster-power-hts-5100-mkii-power-center-signature-edition-256-41-at-b-h-photo?p=65832074

I think these things are worth $250 pretty easily. I recently killed mine with a 12 volt trigger 20amp switching project that went awry and needed another one. This is a good price for a solid piece of kit. When I use one of these it eliminates visible projector flickering in my home, and we have unstable power in my neighborhood - so it's good for peace of mind to let it be taking the power hits and not my expensive AV gear.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I wouldn't touch it after reading the Amazon reviews, especially the one about denial of warranty coverage

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-HTS-5100-MKII-PowerCenter/product-reviews/B000C20YDY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
jinj likes this.

Noah
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 470
For what it's worth my friend who was an electronics tech is going to take a look at my 2006 purchased Monster Power HTS-5100 that failed, and try to fix it. He knows at minimum from some quick multimeter testing that the 120v to 20v transformer failed. That part costs about $20. He can go from there and see if anything else has failed. His inital impressions after opening the case at our office to just take a quick look was that Monster really overdid the quality on the HTS 5100 MKII system and that it didn't look like any shortcuts were taken. He said he was impressed and surprised. Examples include larger gauge wire than needed - even internally - where they wouldn't be seen, high quality components, solid state switches that were over-rated from what amperage was needed ect... Contrast that to a dead Behringer EP4000 amp I also brought in to have him also take a look at, and he said the quality/craftsmanship/attention to detail on the Behringer internals was far less impressive. He said it was like two classroom examples on opposite ends of the spectrum of what craftmanship looks like vs. doesn't. The EP4000 literally has electrical tape in multiple places internally, hot glue gun stringy spider trails in places, and few wire ties - so resulting messy wire routing with generally sloppier build quality compared to the Monster internals. Behringer products work fine, and I happily own multiple products Behringer makes - so I take this to mean Monster at least has a little integrity in what they produce under the hood.

I'm still glad to have the Monster Power HTS in the system --- if somethings going to take a surge and die from a hit I'd rather have it be at $260 sale priced surge protector power filter than several thousand dollars worth of other AV components.

Monster HTS 5100 MKII internals
2therock likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #4 of 4 Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Makes sense, the Behringer is a Chinese POS QSC RMX knockoff. Though I am surprised that Monster is discontinuing this one.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center and HT4 towers - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
Reply Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page