GOM for $10.99/yd or less! Free shipping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
booz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

This is my first post (very long time reader and recent member), and hopefully a worthy one.

 

There is a seller on eBay that is selling GOM fabric for $10.99 a yard for various colors.  I picked up 25 yards of GOM Anchorage in Goose (@10.99/yd) and 20 yards of GOM Open House (the 54" wide version of Anchorage @$2.99/yd) in black onyx for a whopping total of about $330, shipped.  It just came in and as far as I can tell, it's just like the sample I got directly from GOM.  The sellers name is "cliff112" and after I received my invoice, it looks like the company that is selling this stuff is Magna Fabrics (based in NJ)  You may also want to check out their website too, because it looks like they sell acoustic fabric (although it doesn't explicitly say "GOM", the color names seem to indicate it is GOM) for great prices there.  I would call and make sure...

 

I do not have any affiliation with either the company or the seller.  Seeing as how this is way cheaper than the $17-$2x a yard price I've seen (plus add on top of that outrageous shipping costs), I figured it was worth posting about.  Hopefully I'm not wrong...

 

NOTE: It does seem that the eBay seller as well as the actual website seem to have exclusively Anchorage/Open House fabric.  Also, it looks like the posted website prices are even lower, but I'm sure they offset it by have shipping charges.  Either way, both options seem great.

sulakd likes this.
booz11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Those are great prices, thanks for the tip!

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #3 of 25 Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,873
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
what is GOM fabric? what is the acronym?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #4 of 25 Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Member
 
Pitaface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles'ish
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Pitaface is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
booz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

^.  A quick search in the theater building forum or DIY section will show that it is basically THE first named fabric for fabric covered panels for your home theater walls.  I think it's popular because of its fire rated properties and acoustical transparency.  the Anchorage/Open House line is slightly less transparent than the 701 (i.e. don't use it in front of your speakers), but IMO looks a little better if you are covering your walls with it.

Archaea likes this.
booz11 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 02-28-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by booz11 View Post

I think it's popular because of its fire rated properties and acoustical transparency. 

I like it because of the wide variety of nice colors; I've found few visually appealing fabrics in other brands.

As for what the ebay stuff is, I asked the seller about this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221374604183&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

and he says it's Knoll Fabrics Basket Draft in the topaz color.

Knoll has some nice stuff, which for me is a burlap-like texture with variegated thread color.

www.knoll.com

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #7 of 25 Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
booz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post


I like it because of the wide variety of nice colors; I've found few visually appealing fabrics in other brands.

As for what the ebay stuff is, I asked the seller about this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221374604183&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

and he says it's Knoll Fabrics Basket Draft in the topaz color.

Knoll has some nice stuff, which for me is a burlap-like texture with variegated thread color.

www.knoll.com

 

It seems that the seller has a range of items.  Guilford of Maine fabrics is among them, as well as the Knoll stuff you mentioned. 

booz11 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Wahoo_envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the find! I'm nearing this stage -- looking for black AT fabric for the false wall around the screen and something in brown the wall panels.
Wahoo_envy is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, they cannot get the FR701 Black (408) GOM.

Looks like the best price might be Fabricmate at $15/yard but it kills me to pay a 50% premium....
nathan_h is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,873
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
seems like this one is advertised for screen walls
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Out-Fabric-Black-Commando-Cloth-16-ounces-Fire-Retardant-NFPA-701-/221401225142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c8a97b6

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #11 of 25 Old 04-01-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81

That's probably a good one.

In my case, I have acoustic panels with the FR701 so I need to match that, to keep things harmonious. But it is beginning to look like an expensive proposition....
nathan_h is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$10.99/yard for GOM sounded good enough for me to check this out. For what I ordered, I ended up paying WAY less than $10.99/yd. I was considering ATS Acoustics burlap before, but this ended up costing less!

I went to the Magna Fabrics website and checked out the ebay user Id in the original post. They have limited selection, and the selection changes. If you don't have to have GOM, they have a lot of other nice fabrics. Go to the Magna Fabric website (google it), and then call the company. The guy running things is Larry. Very friendly and very helpful - he really knows his stuff and is aware of the acoustical properties of different fabrics. He can tell you what they have if you tell him what you're looking for. He had GOM Anchorage, Open House, Sensa, Metallation and others in various colors when I called (I didn't ask about 701). Buy a "full" roll (40-55 yds) for the best price.

I ordered a full roll of GOM Open House in Onyx (47 yards on the roll he had) and 15 yards of Anchorage in Aubergine yesterday. Fed-ex tracking shows it will arrive tomorrow. I'll report back on condition when it arrives. Shipping is not free unless you order from Ebay. However, the cost savings by ordering over the phone WAY more than made up for that. Shipping was only $33 for the 62 yards of GOM I ordered.
sulakd is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post

$10.99/yard for GOM sounded good enough for me to check this out. For what I ordered, I ended up paying WAY less than $10.99/yd. I was considering ATS Acoustics burlap before, but this ended up costing less!

I went to the Magna Fabrics website and checked out the ebay user Id in the original post. They have limited selection, and the selection changes. If you don't have to have GOM, they have a lot of other nice fabrics. Go to the Magna Fabric website (google it), and then call the company. The guy running things is Larry. Very friendly and very helpful - he really knows his stuff and is aware of the acoustical properties of different fabrics. He can tell you what they have if you tell him what you're looking for. He had GOM Anchorage, Open House, Sensa, Metallation and others in various colors when I called (I didn't ask about 701). Buy a "full" roll (40-55 yds) for the best price.

I ordered a full roll of GOM Open House in Onyx (47 yards on the roll he had) and 15 yards of Anchorage in Aubergine yesterday. Fed-ex tracking shows it will arrive tomorrow. I'll report back on condition when it arrives. Shipping is not free unless you order from Ebay. However, the cost savings by ordering over the phone WAY more than made up for that. Shipping was only $33 for the 62 yards of GOM I ordered.

Wow those are great prices. I really with I had started with something other than FR701. Got a message in to Magna.

Hopefully they have got it, at a competitive price. Elsewhere, including shipping on just 6 yards of 701 is costing $160 easily. (Yes, that's one tenth the amount of fabric.)
nathan_h is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 04-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nathan_h:

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the price. I was discussing the fact that shipping is only free if you order from his ebay sales. The shipping charge on my order was $33 - that's not the total price for my order.
sulakd is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 04-04-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thanks. I'm just saying the best price I found was $16/yard and shipping at $25, for a eight yard order. So your pricing sounds much better. Shipping was barely more, even though much heavier, and your cost per yard was much better.

Hopefully I hear back from Magna soon.
nathan_h is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Newbie
 
Cliff1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The Guilford of Maine Sensa is not as popular as the Anchorage or 701 and it has incredible acoustic properties.  Perhaps it is because the Sensa is thinner than the Anchorage, but in my opinion the aesthetics are a 10+.

Cliff1950 is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Wahoo_envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post

$10.99/yard for GOM sounded good enough for me to check this out. For what I ordered, I ended up paying WAY less than $10.99/yd. I was considering ATS Acoustics burlap before, but this ended up costing less!

I went to the Magna Fabrics website and checked out the ebay user Id in the original post. They have limited selection, and the selection changes. If you don't have to have GOM, they have a lot of other nice fabrics. Go to the Magna Fabric website (google it), and then call the company. The guy running things is Larry. Very friendly and very helpful - he really knows his stuff and is aware of the acoustical properties of different fabrics. He can tell you what they have if you tell him what you're looking for. He had GOM Anchorage, Open House, Sensa, Metallation and others in various colors when I called (I didn't ask about 701). Buy a "full" roll (40-55 yds) for the best price.

I ordered a full roll of GOM Open House in Onyx (47 yards on the roll he had) and 15 yards of Anchorage in Aubergine yesterday. Fed-ex tracking shows it will arrive tomorrow. I'll report back on condition when it arrives. Shipping is not free unless you order from Ebay. However, the cost savings by ordering over the phone WAY more than made up for that. Shipping was only $33 for the 62 yards of GOM I ordered.

Have you received your order yet? eBay doesn't have the color I'm looking for and I'm a little concerned about this statement if ordered directly from Magna -- "There are some imperfections in the fabric which will not affect the use and wear of this long lasting fabric." I'll call them sometime tomorrow to see if I can ease my concern.
Wahoo_envy is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
booz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For what it's worth, I didn't see any imperfections on the 45 yards I got! Hopefully it wasn't luck of the draw and your orders show up without a hitch also. The fabric came neatly rolled up in a couple of those heavy duty cardboard tubes.
booz11 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Wahoo_envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the info. I spoke with Magna today and confidently placed my order for GOM Anchorage (Henna) with an expected delivery date of early next week. This is an exciting stage of a HT DIY build that has lasted a little over a year so far.
Wahoo_envy is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo_envy View Post

Have you received your order yet? eBay doesn't have the color I'm looking for and I'm a little concerned about this statement if ordered directly from Magna -- "There are some imperfections in the fabric which will not affect the use and wear of this long lasting fabric." I'll call them sometime tomorrow to see if I can ease my concern.

Yes, I received my fabric April 4 (sorry for the delay, been out of town this week). My fabric arrived in perfect condition - no flaws, pilling, streaking etc. I too saw that warning about imperfections before I ordered, so I asked Magna before I ordered. He said he puts that warning on the website so that people can't return cut fabric since he'd have a hard time selling it etc. He charges extra on ebay for the same fabric with no such warning - the extra you pay if you order from Ebay is basically for the guarantee.

Like I said before, call him up and see what he's got (other nice fabrics too, like knoll basket weave). I went with anchorage/open house for aesthetic purposes knowing that it's not quite as good acoustically as 701, but I'm using it for panels, not in front of speakers. The price I got was really low because I ordered a whole roll of open house in black (way more than I need, but at $3/yard, how could I not).
sulakd is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Thanks. I'm just saying the best price I found was $16/yard and shipping at $25, for a eight yard order. So your pricing sounds much better. Shipping was barely more, even though much heavier, and your cost per yard was much better.

Hopefully I hear back from Magna soon.

nathan_h:

Did you end up pulling the trigger on this? If you haven't heard back, try calling or include your phone number in your email. Larry answered the phone when I called every time, and every time I sent him an email, he called back within 10 minutes (I don't think he ever replied by email smile.gif )
sulakd is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post

nathan_h:

Did you end up pulling the trigger on this? If you haven't heard back, try calling or include your phone number in your email. Larry answered the phone when I called every time, and every time I sent him an email, he called back within 10 minutes (I don't think he ever replied by email smile.gif )

Yep he got back to me via ebay. He's also cliff1950 here on avs.

Doesn't carry the FR701. mad.gif
nathan_h is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Member
 
Wahoo_envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ordered Anchorage "Henna" and received delivery two days after my order. Very happy with my purchase thanks to Magna and booz11 for posting this great deal--price was too good to pass up.smile.gif
Wahoo_envy is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
booz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

glad to hear it!

booz11 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeff in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've purchased material from there. Excellent prices and I"m happy with the quality.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Jeff in Canada is online now  
Reply Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off