MoviePass Unlimited Daily Movie Ticket Subscription Now $9.95/Month - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6600 Post(s)
Liked: 11364
MoviePass Unlimited Daily Movie Ticket Subscription Now $9.95/Month

Do you go out to the movies a lot? Because if you do, check out the radical new monthly unlimited (one per day) movie ticket pricing from MoviePass. Click this link to read more: MoviePass Drops Unlimited Daily Movie Ticket Subscription to $9.95/Month
ttrip86 likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
I had this service when it first launched for $20 a month. It is very simple to use, and I shockingly had no issues. As prices went up, I eventually canceled the subscription.

I see no possible way the company can stay in business. They literally put the selling cost of a ticket on a debit card they provide you with. Even seeing just 1 movie a month for most people cost more than $9.99. It just makes no sense how this company will stay in business at this price, unless they are just baiting people in, going to raise the price, and hope people forget to cancel as it is autobill.
post #3 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I signed up. Might as well abuse it before AMC figures out how not to honor it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I see no possible way the company can stay in business. They literally put the selling cost of a ticket on a debit card they provide you with. Even seeing just 1 movie a month for most people cost more than $9.99. It just makes no sense how this company will stay in business at this price, unless they are just baiting people in, going to raise the price, and hope people forget to cancel as it is autobill.
The company said right now this service is at a loss but they are hoping that with the power of numbers ie large user base that they can then have the power to negotiate better ticket rates to then make the company more profitable and they also collect some data that they sell to offset some of the expenses as well.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player

post #4 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
I signed up. Might as well abuse it before AMC figures out how not to honor it lol

The company said right now this service is at a loss but they are hoping that with the power of numbers ie large user base that they can then have the power to negotiate better ticket rates to then make the company more profitable and they also collect some data that they sell to offset some of the expenses as well.
I agree with you about AMC. That is where I used it the most. While movie theaters do not make a lot of money of the ticket prices, they need those high prices to keep the doors open. I also found I avoided getting food when I had this service. It sort of defeated the money saving aspect if I was getting food/drinks every time I went to the theaters.

I truly believe they are underestimating the amount of times people will go to the theaters at this price point. Then again, I pay for netflix and rarely use it.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I agree with you about AMC. That is where I used it the most. While movie theaters do not make a lot of money of the ticket prices, they need those high prices to keep the doors open. I also found I avoided getting food when I had this service. It sort of defeated the money saving aspect if I was getting food/drinks every time I went to the theaters.

I truly believe they are underestimating the amount of times people will go to the theaters at this price point. Then again, I pay for netflix and rarely use it.
Oh I use netflix daily lol but anyhow I have several friends who own a theater franchise location and some who are independent and roughly this is how it breaks down.

Ticket sale gets split around 70% Hollywood/Studio, 30% Franchise Company (AMC, Cinemark, so on), the franchise owner that bought the name and use and features and so on from franchise company of said location or the completely independent theater owner basically sees nothing from it and only profits from the concession sales.

So by not buying concessions you hurt the "little guy" or the physical theater location and its employees more than the low ticket prices as that only hurts the corporation and Hollywood.
ttrip86 likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #6 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 297
AMC has already responded and is trying to opt out. http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...cid=spartandhp

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Onkyo TX-NR807 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
post #7 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I searched and searched and could never seem to find a list of participating theaters anywhere. I live in an area with about 200,000 people, and not a lot of movie theater choices, so I wouldn't want to sign up just to not be able to use it.
post #8 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Movie Pass - Business Model

They basically bump up the price of the users who use the service above an expected limit. Read below what I found FatWallet forum. I am not allowed to post links on this AVSForum; so not able to post links:

Movie Pass advertise in their website "Go to UNLIMITED MOVIES in theaters starting at just $30 (*) a month" with a fine print (*) "Prices may vary by location". This is a scam. They offer you an unlimited 1 movie per day plan when you sign-up for a one year contract. But as soon as you start using the plan, that is, if you frequently see movies, they will significantly increase your monthly rate within the one year period, directly violating the contract. They want you to cancel the service and leave. But if still stay a member and continue seeing movies frequency (paying the new higher monthly rate) then they will either cap your limit to a maximum of 6 movies or ask you to pay $99 per month for unlimited plan. All within the one year contract period -- directly violating the contract.

I am a victim of this scam. I signed-up about a year ago for $35 per month for unlimited movies. I started seeing 2 movies in the weekend (Friday and Saturday nights). Within few months, I received an e-mail stating that the pricing of my plan has gone up to $45 per month. As soon as I called to discuss my annual contract period commitment, they invited me to cancel my membership. But I decided to stay and pay $45 per month. I continued seeing 2 movies per week. Then last week I received the above e-mail which gives me the option to cap the number of movies to 6 per months for $40 or pay-up $99 per month for unlimited movies. All these within the one year contract period during which I signed-up for $35 per month for unlimited number of movies.

Movie Pass is a scam and fraud. Beware of them and do not sign-up. Please spread the word about Movie Pass in other online forums and social networks.
KidHorn likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I've been a member for over a year and it has always been exactly $30 a month charged to my card.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 482
I signed onto this after reading several articles about it, including an interview with the CEO of the company, who is apparently behind Redbox as well. I can't understand why AMC would object to this, since they're still getting the full admission price for each ticket. I think very few would use it more than a few times a month, and I think it would serve to bring more people into the theaters, and at least some of them would buy concessions. From a theater operator' viewpoint, I'd think anything that brought them more business would be a good thing, but maybe I'm missing something.
post #11 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 140
If anything, the studios should partner with these guys to make a subscription service with vastly discounted tickets. If they get more people through the door, the theatres sell more concessions, and make more money, keeping them alive, and over time, the studios could make more money if they can get more people to sign up for something like that, and have it average out over a lot of people.
post #12 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 216
20 year old me would have killed for such a deal, I had no friends or hobbies and saw like every movie there was (I guess that was my hobby).

35 year old me, on the other hand, only sees about a movie a month and only in premium theaters (like RPX or Dolby Cinema, which have upcharges and are not supported by MoviePass I don't think), and I only see movies on opening weekend with between 6 and 8 friends, which absolutely requires purchasing in well in advance to make sure we get reserved seats together, which also doesn't work with Moviepass.
post #13 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
20 year old me would have killed for such a deal, I had no friends or hobbies and saw like every movie there was (I guess that was my hobby).

35 year old me, on the other hand, only sees about a movie a month and only in premium theaters (like RPX or Dolby Cinema, which have upcharges and are not supported by MoviePass I don't think), and I only see movies on opening weekend with between 6 and 8 friends, which absolutely requires purchasing in well in advance to make sure we get reserved seats together, which also doesn't work with Moviepass.
What prevents you from buying tickets in advance with this subscription?
post #14 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know it says no advanced purchase and says same day and that you can pick seats IF your theater supports it. So can you or can't you pick seats same day?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

------------------------------------
post #15 of 37 Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
That won't work for me here in Los Angeles. I always buy my tickets in advanced with assigned seats at multiple theaters and there is no way around here for a good movie on the same day are you going to get good middle seats...right in the middle where i like them :-). I'm a Planner and everything is always in advance :-)
post #16 of 37 Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
What prevents you from buying tickets in advance with this subscription?
You need to tell the app what showing of what movie you are seeing. Then it loads the debit card for the next 30 minutes. You need to do all of this while you are within 100 yards of the theater. You might be able to get away with buying an advanced ticket, but the movie needs to be playing already at that theater and you need to be at the theater to buy it, you can't buy the ticket online.
Viche and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #17 of 37 Old 08-18-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I signed up to try it out. I typically see four or five movies per month, usually before noon at an AMC for five bucks per ticket. It's easier for me to go between noon and 5:00pm but the ticket price increased dramatically. I'd pay as much as $15.00 per month for this service if it would allow me four or five movies per month. Fewer movies or a higher price = I'm out.
post #18 of 37 Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
Then it loads the debit card for the next 30 minutes. You need to do all of this while you are within 100 yards of the theater.
Oh my thank you Wayne. Deal breaker for sure for me. Impossible to be at a local theater in my area and have any good to great seats. Need to buy a few hours early minimum.

Thank you you saved me $10 for sure.

------------------------------------
post #19 of 37 Old 08-19-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
that's crazy cheap, but i'd still be the guy feeling like i 'wasted' money by not going everyday, and there's no way i'm going to a movie every day, maybe not even every week.

interesting concept though, and i hope they work out all the kinks to make movie going affordable again

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #20 of 37 Old 08-20-2017, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is going to fail so fast, or they are going to suddenly raise the price substantially. I am tempted to get it while it lasts though. Even 1 movie a month and it is paid for.
post #21 of 37 Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 AM

The business plan made more sense before the price drop. Some months I used it more than the 3 times that would be needed to break even and sometimes I used it less.
post #22 of 37 Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I guess AMC wants to opt out, because they don't want to loose their "stubs" program's members. I think that the name of it. Then again, I've seen people refill their popcorn like water, thanks to their program, so maybe they shouldn't worry so much...
post #23 of 37 Old 08-21-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaripanu View Post
They basically bump up the price of the users who use the service above an expected limit. Read below what I found FatWallet forum. I am not allowed to post links on this AVSForum; so not able to post links:

Movie Pass advertise in their website "Go to UNLIMITED MOVIES in theaters starting at just $30 (*) a month" with a fine print (*) "Prices may vary by location". This is a scam. They offer you an unlimited 1 movie per day plan when you sign-up for a one year contract. But as soon as you start using the plan, that is, if you frequently see movies, they will significantly increase your monthly rate within the one year period, directly violating the contract. They want you to cancel the service and leave. But if still stay a member and continue seeing movies frequency (paying the new higher monthly rate) then they will either cap your limit to a maximum of 6 movies or ask you to pay $99 per month for unlimited plan. All within the one year contract period -- directly violating the contract.

I am a victim of this scam. I signed-up about a year ago for $35 per month for unlimited movies. I started seeing 2 movies in the weekend (Friday and Saturday nights). Within few months, I received an e-mail stating that the pricing of my plan has gone up to $45 per month. As soon as I called to discuss my annual contract period commitment, they invited me to cancel my membership. But I decided to stay and pay $45 per month. I continued seeing 2 movies per week. Then last week I received the above e-mail which gives me the option to cap the number of movies to 6 per months for $40 or pay-up $99 per month for unlimited movies. All these within the one year contract period during which I signed-up for $35 per month for unlimited number of movies.

Movie Pass is a scam and fraud. Beware of them and do not sign-up. Please spread the word about Movie Pass in other online forums and social networks.
I never had an issue with them trying to do that do me, but IIRC there was something about them being able to adjust the price as they see fit, and there is a cancellation fee. They really could be just trying to get a ton of members, raise the price, and cash in on cancellation fees.
post #24 of 37 Old 08-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I searched and searched and could never seem to find a list of participating theaters anywhere. I live in an area with about 200,000 people, and not a lot of movie theater choices, so I wouldn't want to sign up just to not be able to use it.
https://www.moviepasslocations.com/

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #25 of 37 Old 09-03-2017, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

There's no contract with their $9.99/mth plan so I see no drawbacks even if they raise prices after the first month. If that new higher price is too high then cancel with no penalty.
post #26 of 37 Old 09-03-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackmark View Post
There's no contract with their $9.99/mth plan so I see no drawbacks even if they raise prices after the first month. If that new higher price is too high then cancel with no penalty.
When I found out about this I was very intrigued. I'm really lazy though and maybe only see 5 movies per year.. If I were a more avid movie-goer, this might be more enticing.
post #27 of 37 Old 09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

LOL. It's $9.99! I have already purchased 30 movies between my two accounts in 16 days. Yes, THIRTY! I will get enough reward points to get $50 in gift cards a MONTH for my $20 investment. If they raise the price, so be it. I then have the option to cancel...
post #28 of 37 Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
LOL. It's $9.99! I have already purchased 30 movies between my two accounts in 16 days. Yes, THIRTY! I will get enough reward points to get $50 in gift cards a MONTH for my $20 investment. If they raise the price, so be it. I then have the option to cancel...

So you have 2 accounts? Are they under the same name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 37 Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 69
When you get to the theater, do you just use a card for admission? Thanks.
post #30 of 37 Old 10-03-2017, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
When you get to the theater, do you just use a card for admission? Thanks.
Open the movie pass app, find the theater you're at (you have to be 100 yards are closer), pick your movie time and push reserve. Now go up to the kiosk at the theater pick your movie & seat and when it's time to pay for it swipe your card and you're done.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Klipsch atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals

Tags
moviepass , movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page