Refurb Prontos Even Cheaper!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw a code to use to get an additional 10% off at Pronto Outlet. Use the code: OUTLET-FALLSALE.

See my previous thread in this forum for details. Makes a TSU3000 $119.99 - 10% or $109.00!! A TSU7000 is also on sale. Shipping is included.

Here's the URL http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_re...72&shop=OUTLET

What a deal!

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks a load

-Gary
post #3 of 24 Old 11-04-2006, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Thanks a lot. Ordered my second 3000. I hope the get some more 7000's in stock at the previous price.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 24 Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, I'm waiting for mine in the mail. How long do the batteries last?

Have you guys seen any good prices on recharging dock, new or used? If anybody has one for sale please pm me.

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #5 of 24 Old 11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3000 will go thru a set of alk. batteries every 2-4 months depending on how much you use it. The rechargable battery pack and the charger base is the way to go. The price for the charger/battery pack varies but you should be able to find a new one for around $60 (eTonicis or Amazon) or you may be able to pick up one on eBay for less (I got mine for about $30), but they frequently go on eBay for as much a new one costs from an e'tailer. Of course a lower cost alternative is to buy a set of NiMH batteries and a charger (such as commonly used if you have a digital camera).

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
post #6 of 24 Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

believe me, you want the recharge setup, it is so much nicer and easy

I work thru batteries like a mad-man though so...

-Gary
post #7 of 24 Old 11-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

I orderd 2, one of them has a button that only likes to be pressed a certain way, any other way it doesn't respond, called customer service and was told to send it in and wait 15 days, and then call back.............. I'm not sure if I like that option, why not ship me out another and a return tag for this one . I think I'll call back and see if there is another option.

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #8 of 24 Old 11-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Awe heck! I like my pronto so much that I can live with one button that's a little touchy, best 100.00 purchase I've made yet!

I also recommend downloading the pronto wizard guide for 25.00, it cut a huge amount of time off of the learning curve!

I hated the harmony 880, but after owning the pronto, I have a little respect for it's easiness to program, but there is no way I would go back, the pronto will do just about anything you can imagine.

K ........H
..L.... C..
...I...S....
.... P......
post #9 of 24 Old 12-08-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my TSU3000 purchase turned out to have problems. First the battery clip had the metal strip with the battery contacts/springs missing. Second they included a USB cable that would not connect to the remote (wrong connectors). Third the the touch screen on the remote wouldn't accept inputs. After of couple of weeks of phone calls I was provided a return authorization for an exchange. I hope the replacement unit won't have any of the above problems.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
post #10 of 24 Old 12-19-2006, 05:29 AM

I ordered my TSU300099 today. It was listed at $119.99 but I also found a 10% Off Storewide Holiday Promotion on the web site. Once I entered that code my order was discounted another $12 but tax brought it back up $7.02 for grand total of $115.01, which is less than I could find them on ebay without any warranty. Refurb units are likely to have problems but as long as Phillips will repair or replace it I am ok with that. Still not as good of deal as everyone else who got it for $100 flat, but perhaps that sale ended before I located this thread.

A few weeks earlier I downloaded the ProntoEdit software and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Granted it is clunky software but with all the ccf files out there on RemoteCentral I think I can manage the programing of the Pronto with enough effort. I have read that TSU3000 screen is dim but it can't be worse than the remote for my Sony TA-E9000ES. The Sony remote, RM-TP501E will not deal with several of my components at all so I still need a bunch of remotes to operate everything. Even without the rechargeable battery I figure I am better off than replacing all the batteries in a pile of my current remotes.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM

Do you know if this can control X10 lights?
post #12 of 24 Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 AM

I believe I read a post on how to go about doing this but it can't do it directly. Basically you must make the Pronto remote control another remote that in turn controls the X-10 device. I use to have a X-10 remote somewhere and believe it was RF. Pronto is only IR. If you really want to pursue this I think I read the X-10 control post on RemoteCentral. Good luck.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by meariesguy View Post

Do you know if this can control X10 lights?

You'll need one of these:
http://www.homeautomationnet.com/sho...exd.asp?id=109

It's an ir receiver that takes ir commands from your remote and converts them to x-10 commands. There should be several ccf's on remote central already configured for this device.
post #14 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 AM

My Pronto remote arrived yesterday and haven't even opened the box yet but I got to have one of these ir to X-10 devices. Thanks for the link KenWH.

Can you also help me with control of my Hampton Bay ceiling fan? It is a RF remote with a FCC ID: CHQ7081T and this remote controls both the fan speed and a pair of lights that are part of the fan assembly. It appears that all Hampton Bay fans work via RF as I also have a fan installed in the kitchen that uses a RF remote as well. It would be great to shutdown the lights of these fans from the Pronto as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post

You'll need one of these:
http://www.homeautomationnet.com/sho...exd.asp?id=109

It's an ir receiver that takes ir commands from your remote and converts them to x-10 commands. There should be several ccf's on remote central already configured for this device.

post #15 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 04:42 AM

Ok my Pronto got unpacked and appears to be flawless with respect to cosmetic appearance. Not a scratch on it. Put a fresh set of batteries in it and tapped the screen. Behold it lights up. Page 10 of the included manual indicates I should first set time and date and this is done by tapping the Pronto icon in the top center of the screen. The manual shows a picture of this icon so I tap it, hear a beep and zip happens. Dang if I can't enter the setup screen this remote will not work very well for me. Perhaps I am missing something very fundamental, but I tried pushing every button and tapping around on the screen. It does respond to selection taps for devices but nothing except a beep when I tap the Pronto icon. Before I contact Phillips within the 90 day limited warranty period on refurbished remotes I hope someone will verify that I am not experiencing cockpit error.

I loaded the ProntoEdit software and find I can connect to the Pronto remote with this software by doing a download from the remote. When I run the simulator portion of the software tapping the Pronto icon also does nothing but beep. There does not appear to be anyway, with the software package to adjust setup values. I am depressed, please HELP!

OK, I figured it out, not clear in the manual, but if I press and hold the Pronto icon the setup appears. The manual states I should just tap it, I discovered this when I tried to enter the Tools menu and the manual clearly advised that the left hard button had to be held for 3 seconds. I guess this is what has been referred to as poor documentation from Phillips.

I am already pleased that the display is much easier to read than my Sony remote and getting a Phillips remote at such a good price, without a mark on it, just thrills me. I did find that page 35 of the manual indicates it will send RF, but not certain if I can use that feature to control Hampton Bay fan lights yet.
post #16 of 24 Old 12-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

I honestly don't have a clue how you'd get rf commands into the fan. I'd suggest searching and/or posting in the forums on www.remotecentral.com .

You might also want to email Bill who owns the automation company in the link I posted in the post above. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable.
post #17 of 24 Old 12-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Page 35 of the Pronto manual indicates it can be configured to send out RF, but IR is the default. Page 46 of the manual indicates RF is in the 418MHz band. Not sure how useful this specification will be to me but I can always use trial and error to see what happens. There is no doubt that I will also be ordering the IR543 to convert Pronto's IR signals to X-10 and will probably order a few other X-10 products as well. The high current wall switch should work well to kill the kitchen spot lights. I have always been happy with X-10 devices and have plenty of them in use already. It just gets better if Pronto remote will control the the X10 devices as well. Much thanks for that link.

I browsed remotecentral but just haven't spent enough time there to search it completly. I may try looking in the manual for Hampton Bay fan or contact the supplier as well.

I assume Bill is the contact person at the web site with the IR543, correct?

Quote:

I honestly don't have a clue how you'd get rf commands into the fan. I'd suggest searching and/or posting in the forums on www.remotecentral.com .

You might also want to email Bill who owns the automation company in the link I posted in the post above. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable.

post #18 of 24 Old 12-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Yes Bill is the guy that owns/runs homeautomationnet.com. He often posts on remotecentral has been a key resource for knowledge of the years over there.

Do happen to have the specs for fan and/or fan remote. I'm wondering if it lists the frequency at which it operates. Might also check hampton bays website...maybe they list it there.?.?

Good luck,
Ken
post #19 of 24 Old 12-26-2006, 08:32 AM

The documentation package I got with the Hampton Bay fans has no information on the RF frequency it operates at. I haven't tried contacting them directly, but it is on my to do list. Thus far I have three different models of fans from Hampton Bay installed, but only two were configured with remote units as part of the standard package. I also haven't check the Hampton Bay web site yet, but will try.

I will contact Bill to put togther a order of items that will make interfacing to X-10 controls possible and will see if he can help with this Hampton Bay fan issue as well.

Been wacking away with the learning curve on ProntoeEdit NG software and downloading files from RemoteCentral to pick apart and join back together into one configuration file that meets my equipment list. I am very impressed with what is possible in theory, now if I can just implement it to make it a reality.

With the effort required to get the "perfect" configuration done my next concern is that the TSU3000 will become obsolete or difficult to find should this one fail. I am strongly considering ordering a backup unit for this reason while the price and stock is still available.

Quote:

Yes Bill is the guy that owns/runs homeautomationnet.com. He often posts on remotecentral has been a key resource for knowledge of the years over there.

Do happen to have the specs for fan and/or fan remote. I'm wondering if it lists the frequency at which it operates. Might also check hampton bays website...maybe they list it there.?.?

Good luck,
Ken

post #20 of 24 Old 12-26-2006, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yes I'd like to able to do this as well .I have one group of lights not wired to my Grafic Eye. It is a track light that lights up my speakers behind my screen. Right now I'm using a separate Zenith remote with a module it plugs into that is RF. I'd like to have it in my Pronto.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #21 of 24 Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Art,

The link Kenwh posted looks like it will solve my problems with some of my light controls if I use it to interface to X-10 devices, which work well for me. The Hampton Bay fan issue is not a issue I can solve with X-10 control interfaces as they built a module into the fan and provided a RF remote for it. Converting to X-10 control may work well for your application if your present hookup is not part of the track lights, but is external to them. X-10 appliance modules work well for heavy loads but do not have a dim function. The X-10 light control modules do have a dim function but are limited to 300 watts per module. You didn't specify how many spots were in the string or total wattage. My kitchen spots will exceed the 300 watt rating so I either have to use a X-10 high current relay module or crawl into the attic and rewire the kitchen spots with several lamp modules. The dim function is very nice and much more pleasing than on/off control of bright lights. I would think this would be significant for your application, even more than mine. A slow dim of your track lights, just prior to the movie start, would be aawesome effect.

Presently I am still struggling to get the basic configuration of the Pronto to control just my IR Audio/Video equipment. It appears that my components lack good ccf or pcf files on RemoteCentral. Some are close but many of the buttons have to be re-programmed. My Pre-amp is a Sony TA-E9000ES and there are only TSU1000 or TSU2000 files that I have found for it, thus far. It is nice pre-amp but getting long in the tooth for most users. It is not a big deal to import ccf files, but perhaps the import function is corrupting them a bit. Not certain of this but Philips manual aludes to this and it will take me some time to get a interface I like working correctly.

Until I get control of my audio/video equipment ,via the Pronto, I will need to place the Hampton Bay fan RF issue on a hold. There is a learning curve to the ProntoEdit software and I am only a few days into that aspect of it. I may, however try kenwh's suggestion to ask Bill about it and also contact Hampton Bay very soon, just in case it takes awhile to get a reply back. If I find anything useful I will post it here. I will also post my failures as well, so we can eliminate them from the possibilities. Since Hampton Bay supplies a major portion of the market for ceiling fans I suspect there are other users that could use this information.

I was un-informed of your control system for lights and you may have the spelling wrong as this link http://www.lutron.com appears to cover GRAFIK light control systems, and it appears that they already have IR controls available. You can do better researching this web site than I can as you know what models you have. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Yes I'd like to able to do this as well .I have one group of lights not wired to my Grafic Eye. It is a track light that lights up my speakers behind my screen. Right now I'm using a separate Zenith remote with a module it plugs into that is RF. I'd like to have it in my Pronto.

Art

post #22 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 AM

I just bought mine. I had been looking for good deals on these, and glad you all posted the link. Hopefully I don't have the issues with my 3000 like some of you did.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My Grafik eye already controls all my lighting via IR using my Pronto 7500. However, I added track lighting to see the speakers later and it is not wired to the grafik eye but simply plugged into an RF Zenith module and then into an outlet behind the screen. It is 150 watts ( three 50 watt halogens).

I wanted to be able to have just on and off on my pronto no dimming needed.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #24 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 AM

Liked: 12
Reply Great Found Deals

User Tag List