PureAV HT Power Console (PF60) Bargain - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 171 Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
eCost.com has raised the price of thier PF60 from $157 to $270. That sucks, because I placed my order on Sunday and they canceled it today.

I looked at Buy.com, Provantage.com, and bhphotovideo.com and why I get over the "pissed off" mood from eCost, I might just go with the black version because it'll look nicer in my ent. center.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Wow, that's a big increase. Glad I got mine when I did!

I agree though, I would rather have a black one instead of the silver I have.
post #153 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimond View Post

...I noticed that the Ground detection icon in the small screen does not light up. Manual would suggest it should be either a check mark or x to show problems. I have neither.....Cheers
sd

Just noticed that both wiring and ground NOW have checkmarks. ... no change in install config. .... (brightness was not an issue before... neither of check/x were visible under any level.)
Maybe a load on it helped? at any rate, all is well.
cheers, sd
post #154 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

A tad off topic, but have any of you tried the PureAV with Battery Backup AP3080010? I have the PF60 but would like to replace it with battery backup since I want to protect my projector from a power outage or other equipment when doing a firmware update. The manual of the PF60 states that it shouldn't be connected to a backup battery so I haven't installed mine that way. I see that the battery backup model can be had for less than $150 at some sites. It doesn't have the fancy voltage/current/ground display that the PF60 does, but I find it to be a novelty anyhow after using it a while (plus I don't like the additional light it puts out).
post #155 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 AM

I have my PF60 connected to a battery back-up and have never had a problem. It is a 5 Kilovolt pure sine wave back-up, not a "simulated sine wave" that most put out. Many people have this config.
Best,
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

A tad off topic, but have any of you tried the PureAV with Battery Backup AP3080010? I have the PF60 but would like to replace it with battery backup since I want to protect my projector from a power outage or other equipment when doing a firmware update. The manual of the PF60 states that it shouldn't be connected to a backup battery so I haven't installed mine that way. I see that the battery backup model can be had for less than $150 at some sites. It doesn't have the fancy voltage/current/ground display that the PF60 does, but I find it to be a novelty anyhow after using it a while (plus I don't like the additional light it puts out).

post #156 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, I don't have a nice sine wave battery backup. I have one I bought at Costco that is the typical smoothed square wave. Don't remember the brand now, but it was about $100 with a neat little twistable display for vertical or horizontal placement. It also has surge suppression, which they also do not recommend so I haven't hooked my PF60 into it.

Edit: My backup is the Tripplite SmartPro Digital Home Theater UPS 1000VA. Not the most expensive, but it will run my projector fan should I loose power.
post #157 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have two of the pureav battery backups. I use it for my projector and my t.v. Works great. Highly recomend it. On another note I also just got two of the black PF60's. Now I have a total of 4 PF60's and two of the battery backups. The two black ones will be dedicated for each of my power amps in my theater. And one of the battery backups dedicated for the PJ. I also have the in wall unit that is code for electrical to connect the pj to the backup.
post #158 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, I don't have a nice sine wave battery backup. I have one I bought at Costco that is the typical smoothed square wave. Don't remember the brand now, but it was about $100 with a neat little twistable display for vertical or horizontal placement. It also has surge suppression, which they also do not recommend so I haven't hooked my PF60 into it.

Edit: My backup is the Tripplite SmartPro Digital Home Theater UPS 1000VA. Not the most expensive, but it will run my projector fan should I loose power.

Funny, I have the exact Tripplite from Costco with a PF60 coming in today.

Would there be any benefit to plugging in the Tripplite into the PF60? I just wanted a battery backup to smooth out the 1-3 second power drops/outages that are common here in Fla. during the summer.
post #159 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

I'm guessing it would be safe to plug a UPS into the PF60 (like this):

Wall outlet -------- PF60--------UPS------HTPC

And plug my other stuff into the other outlets on the PF60 like normal.

I just bought a Belkin 1000VA UPS for the HTPC and thought I might get a PF60 for the rest of my stuff. If not, then I'll just hook up the UPS by itself and use the HTPC off of it and the PF60 for the other equipment.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #160 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, now why didn't I think of that? I have the PF-60 on the rack and the Smart UPS hidden in the cabinet below. I could see if the cords are long enough to reach, or maybe move the UPS up out of the cabinet. I will play around with it tonight and see what I come up with. At first setup, I liked everything plugged into the PF60 so I could see how much juice they used, but that novelty has since worn off. (Plus the fact that the LCD segments in my PF60 are missing in some sections. I probably should just put the whole mess in the cabinet so the place would look less cluttered and the cable management would be less or a rats nest. (as you can see from the photo's).
post #161 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I could be wrong, but don't most UPS say that it has to be plugged into a wall outlet and not any other devices in between.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #162 of 171 Old 06-29-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

I could be wrong, but don't most UPS say that it has to be plugged into a wall outlet and not any other devices in between.

Probably, but I am guessing that a line conditioner doesn't count as an "other device" From the Smart 1000 manual

Connect your UPS directly to a properly grounded AC power outlet. Do not plug the UPS into itself; this will damage the UPS.
Do not modify the UPS's plug, and do not use an adapter that would eliminate the UPS's ground connection.
Do not use extension cords to connect the UPS to an AC outlet. Your warranty will be voided if anything other than Tripp Lite
surge suppressors are used to connect your UPS to an outlet.
If the UPS receives power from a motor-powered AC generator, the generator must provide clean, filtered, computer-grade output.

I am thinking if you can plug this thing into a motor powered AC generator, one should be able to plug it into a line conditioner. Of course if I am wrong, and someone's house goes up in flames, I wouldn't want to take responcibility!
post #163 of 171 Old 07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Our IT guy (who graduated with an EE and a computer science degree) says that UPS' should be plugged directly into the wall. Period.

You may lend that what credence you choose to.

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #164 of 171 Old 07-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I've plugged UPS' into surge protectors without any problems in our office. And with the power conditions in out office building, I wouldn't even plug a night light into the outlets without a surge protector or UPS.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #165 of 171 Old 07-02-2007, 07:01 AM

Maybe its just me, but doesn't it make sense to have the UPS plugged into the wall, then the PF-60 plugged into the UPS. That way if there is a short black out, the UPS kicks in, and the PF60 takes care of any "nasties" that may get through. I mean. if you have the PF-60 plugged into the wall and the power goes out, does it not shut off output to the circuits? Like I said, my two cents and I am sure someone will totally disagree with me. All I know is that it works for me.
Best,
Chris
post #166 of 171 Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris,
That is the way I would want it set up as well, and the way I was going to do it once I got the PF60. The manual advised against it quite strongly, so I didn't do it. It doesn't really make sense to me that you can use the PF60 with a generator, but you can't use it with a UPS. Perhaps they are just being overly cautious, or perhaps it is not a good idea to have multiple surge protection circuitry in series and that affects the ability to operate properly. Or maybe they just want you to buy the all-in-one UPS and line filter product? Regardless, I think I am going to move my PF-60 to the front speakers and sub, and buy the USP/Line filter PureAV UPS Home Theater for the back of the room where all the electronics are located. I just want to make sure that the filter is as good.
post #167 of 171 Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 PM

Belkin is probably being overly careful as there are some "dirty" ups units out there that MAY cause a problem. All I can tell you is; that is the way I have mine hooked up with a GOOD battery back-up and if I pull the plug on the battery back-up, it has no problemss switching to batteries and the PF60 handles it without a hitch.
I do like the all in one unit from Belkin, but it is a bit pricey...
Best,
Chris
post #168 of 171 Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Belkin is probably being overly careful as there are some "dirty" ups units out there that MAY cause a problem. All I can tell you is; that is the way I have mine hooked up with a GOOD battery back-up and if I pull the plug on the battery back-up, it has no problemss switching to batteries and the PF60 handles it without a hitch.
I do like the all in one unit from Belkin, but it is a bit pricey...
Best,
Chris

Check out Provantage , they seem to have a very good price on it last time I checked with about 38 in stock for delivery. I have never purchased from them, and it does say non-returnable, so I don't know if they are a good source or not.
post #169 of 171 Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

This might be a better unit, but still pricey...

http://www.provantage.com/belkin-ap5...k~7BELD04H.htm

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #170 of 171 Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgroves View Post

This might be a better unit, but still pricey...

http://www.provantage.com/belkin-ap5...k~7BELD04H.htm

Wow, now that is nice! Unfortunately it costs way to much for me, more than I paid for my AVR-635 receiver!
post #171 of 171 Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Check out Provantage , they seem to have a very good price on it last time I checked with about 38 in stock for delivery. I have never purchased from them, and it does say non-returnable, so I don't know if they are a good source or not.

That is where I ordered my black PF60's. Took 3 weeks to get my first and a week after that to get my second. Slow delivery, but they were the cheapest place I could find the black ones.
Reply Great Found Deals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page