Thoughts on Fry's Electronics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-19-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully this is ok to post in here (as it got zapped in one of the main boards...).

What are everyone's thoughts on buying an LCD or plasma TV from Fry's? I seem to get negative vibes from people about Fry's sometimes, but their prices seem to be pretty good. Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The biggest problem with fry's is that they seem to be taking most of my disposable income...

Robert Clark
post #3 of 26 Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Fry's is ok but, you have to know what you are shopping for before going in. Don't expect to get any knowledgeable help from the staff. They are great if you go in knowing want you want and only ask them if they have it in stock or not.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
The prices are usually good and they carry more items than a lot of places, but returns on defective merchandise can be a huge hassle.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 AM

I like them because the carry every weird computer cable you could think of and things like SACDs and DVD Audio. Other stores don't bother with that.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone. Seems like as long as I am after a certain model, I should be ok....though I will ask about return policies for sure.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

I've found that Fry's has good prices on computer related things (but only if they're on sale) but fairly unremarkable prices on HT goods. What part of the country do you live in?

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #8 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I am in the Dallas Fort Worth Area, so there are actually a few Fry's nearby

post #9 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoplex View Post

I've found that Fry's has good prices on computer related things (but only if they're on sale) but fairly unremarkable prices on HT goods. What part of the country do you live in?

I am in the SF Bay Area. Fry's normal prices aren't that good but they run a sales ad 7 days a week and you just have to keep checking it for deals.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fry's is awesome for small items that you need to grab that you don't want to wait for internet shipping for. They also have a lot of neat little knick knack kinda electronics items. I personally would stay away from them on the big expensive display/receiver type purchases as their financing tends to be kinda crappy compared to the other big stores.

-Chuck
post #11 of 26 Old 08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, I forgot to add... if you are thinking about buying from Fry's because they have a good sale going on for the TV you want, I would check Bestbuy and Circuit City to see if they stock it. They will price match plus some % of that price difference. This is what I did when Fry's ran a great sale on my Sony SXRD.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 AM

I HATE Frys! I have always enjoyed reading their ads, but I haven't shopped there for several years now. I have been burned by them too many times. It is to the point where it will be MY fault if they burn me again.

I was completely taken by surprise when I first realize they will shrink wrap anything. That means, when they get a return, they still shrink wrap it to look new. They did start putting little tiny stickers on their items that have tiny writing that says it may have been rpeviously opened.

Then there was the time (I believe this was the last) that I bought a really nice and fairly expensive computer case. I really liked the one I picked out. Only, when I got home and opened it, there was a different case inside. The case, I had picked was about $200. The one inside was worth about $220, but I did not like it nearly as much. As I was returning it and answering questions from the manager, I realized he was questioning me as if I had switched them. I couldn't believe it. I was so pissed. They did take it back. But they also lost my business completely.

But that is just my experience. That was the final straw. I have also purchased a lot of equipment that I have had to return as defective. It became too much of a hassle to make so many trips to buy a single item.

Dave
post #13 of 26 Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Such a great deal!

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was very wrong about something.

I had assumed the online prices of Frys.com would be comparable to in store prices. Wrong! In store prices were nothing to write home about. Though I live in the DFW area with many Frys available, none are less than 30 minutes away, so this is the first chance I had to go and see the in store prices.

Very disappointed. My hopes of buying a tv soon have dipped a little.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
We have had a Fry's down the street for a couple of years now (guessing) and overall it's just more techie than Best Buy, Circuit City or CompUSA. Their sale prices on the techie stuff are usually pretty good although everyday pricing is pretty close to everyone else.

In Indy they took over the old Incredible Universe building that Radio Shack built years ago. It’s huge! Before Fry’s it was a used car showroom.

I have returned more items than I can count and the experience is usually a good one. One day I returned two things at different times and the same rep approved both of them. One was real inexpensive and he dug through the entire box checking serial numbers and accessories. The other was expensive and he never even looked at the box.

I have learned not to take it personally and with them being close by and their large selection I find myself wandering around there quite often.
post #16 of 26 Old 08-24-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I love Fry's but for a tech store, their checkout system is unbelievably antiquated! Only recently did they get a system that allows Debit, but even then it's very awkward and clunky. Get with the 21st century Fry's!

Robert Clark
post #17 of 26 Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 PM

When I was shopping for a TV a couple of weeks ago, I found the best price on frys.com, and because I wanted the TV right there and then, I drove to the store in City of Industry, CA, told the clerk I wanted one and handed her the printout from frys.com (the price on which was a far cry from the number posted on the card). To my surprise, I was told that Fry's (B&M) doesn't match *any* online price, including that of frys.com. I suppose it's a holdover from when frys.com was outpost.com, but c'mon, one would think they'd rather get the sale rather than a competitor...
post #18 of 26 Old 08-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkyMomo View Post

When I was shopping for a TV a couple of weeks ago, I found the best price on frys.com, and because I wanted the TV right there and then, I drove to the store in City of Industry, CA, told the clerk I wanted one and handed her the printout from frys.com (the price on which was a far cry from the number posted on the card). To my surprise, I was told that Fry's (B&M) doesn't match *any* online price, including that of frys.com. I suppose it's a holdover from when frys.com was outpost.com, but c'mon, one would think they'd rather get the sale rather than a competitor...

Fry's is finally in the process of merging their online and B&M operations which should make things a lot better like being able to return online purchases to the stores. But it mgiht take a while before that is finished.

There are a lot of companies that run "online only" sales though. Fry's is great for sales and selection. Just don't expect much help while in the store. For big purshases I always make BestBuy price match.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
One thing to be very careful of at Frys is... they are known to repackage returned items and sell as new. I purchased an answering machine from them a while back and when I opened it up it had someones messages on it... now there were NO markings to indicate that this item had been returned. I have also returned items for being defective and the person taking the return never even marked it as defective.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeann View Post

The prices are usually good and they carry more items than a lot of places, but returns on defective merchandise can be a huge hassle.

well here on the eastcoast[vermont/n.h.] frys hd and bd discs are retail price,no deals in this area.
the stores are in small malls and so we have small stores,big overhead= high prices.
post #21 of 26 Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Frys.com was formerly actually Outpost.com folks. They do have some excellent prices on XBR4's and Samsung 71 series LCD's.

You can check their ratings on resellerratings.com

Company History per Website Sitemap: http://www.outpost.com/isp/history.html

We have no Fry's in our region to rate service/support though.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #22 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 01:34 AM
els

Liked: 12
fry's for a major purchase such as a tv, or any other expensive is like going to the dentist to beg for a root canal. they will have a wide selection, however the sales personnel could care less about customer service, and then you hope they have it in stock.

you are much better off to go to any other retailer, and have them price match fry's, which they do if you bring the add with you. otherwise, pay a little more and dont beat yourself up when you hear "i told you so!"

if you are prepared to live with the purchase, then hope you never have a return. you will most likely have your social security check in hand before you finish the questions and go thru the "process".

fry's is a good source for the odd electronics, but if i have to pay a little more somewhere else, i am not going back.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Fry's is a 2 hour round trip from my house. Each and every time I have ever bought computer Ram from them, its always dead and I have to make the trip again. In once case, 2 extra times. I dont do frys any more. Newegg has everything I need delivered to my door. I've dropped at least $20000 on new egg and never had one problem.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #24 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

The biggest problem with fry's is that they seem to be taking most of my disposable income...

+1
post #25 of 26 Old 10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Say what you will about Fry's return policies but you will never see so many overweight sales people wearing ill-fitting clothing than there.

You'll feel like you're a nattily attired fitness fitness buff afterwards. Kinda' hard to put a price on that, isn't it?

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #26 of 26 Old 10-27-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Add me to the Fry's fan club.

Get this.

I bought a Mitsubishi 52631 in April for $1499.99. Two weeks later they put a 57731 (same TV but 5" bigger) on sale for $1499. Fry's has no restocking fees but a 30 day return policy. I took it back and got a 57731 plus $0.99 (+ the difference in sales tax) store credit. Two weeks later they put a 57732 on sale for $1499. Of course, I exchanged it again. Yeah, I went through 3 TV's. I almost did it again when they put the 73732 on sale but that would've required me to pony up an extra grand.

Fry's and Wal-Mart are the cheapest B&M in Austin. I feel sorry for folks stuck with Best Buy, Target and Circuit City. Those must be the people paying $17 for USED HDM catalog titles on Ebay and the AVSForum when new ones are available for $13/$14/$19/$20 at Fry's.

Fry's associates in the Bay Area tend to be technically clueless. That's not the case at the Austin store. Associates actually tell me what aisle I can find components on. They even know that Blu-Ray discs don't play on HD-DVD and vice/versa. I looked at discontinued plasma over a year ago. The sales guy told me without blinking that the thing didn't come with a tuner. Didn't Best Buy have to get threatened with fines to label/not sell NTSC only TV's?

To answer your question, Fry's is great for TV's and high def equipment unless you want higher end stuff like Pioneer, Fujitsu, Rotel and other brands that they don't carry.
Reply Great Found Deals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page