Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 03-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Wow, that sucks. That kind of failure is extremely rare from what I've read... but I guess it could happen with any high-tech equipment.

My 60G has been running 24/7 since I bought it, folding@home when I'm not using it....But just in case, I bought mine locally at CC so that if there were any problems, I could easily take it back.

What part about it is "blurry" ? The 1080p menus?

I still can't get over what an excellent machine it is for the price. And with every firmware update it gets better and better. I thought mine had an issue with the fans not slowing down after jumping out of Folding, but a firmware update fixed that.

You ask whats Blurry about it, the DVD i watched on it for one. I was watching a DVD using my son's XBox 360 when it arrived so I stopped the disc, set up the PS3 and then watched the rest of the movie on the PS3. I was sure that I set it up to upconvert movies to 1080p on my 55" Samsung DLP, but I think it must have been playing it in 480p because it didn't even look as good as it had on the 360. Does the PS3 do that with any DVD that has copy protection on it? Do you have to rip a movie and burn it to a DVD+R to get it to upconvert SD movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 03-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post

I was sure that I set it up to upconvert movies to 1080p on my 55" Samsung DLP, but I think it must have been playing it in 480p because it didn't even look as good as it had on the 360. Does the PS3 do that with any DVD that has copy protection on it? Do you have to rip a movie and burn it to a DVD+R to get it to upconvert SD movies?

You just have to use HDMI, and have the settings for your output resolutions set correctly. You can change the upscaling on-the-fly during playback.
post #63 of 70 Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm using an HDMI cable and I have it set to use that and output at 1080p@24.
post #64 of 70 Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You ask whats Blurry about it, the DVD i watched on it for one. I was watching a DVD using my son's XBox 360 when it arrived so I stopped the disc, set up the PS3 and then watched the rest of the movie on the PS3. I was sure that I set it up to upconvert movies to 1080p on my 55" Samsung DLP, but I think it must have been playing it in 480p because it didn't even look as good as it had on the 360. Does the PS3 do that with any DVD that has copy protection on it? Do you have to rip a movie and burn it to a DVD+R to get it to upconvert SD movies?

You said you were 3 minutes into the previews when it went down. That doesn't give you much to stand on for an arguement.

These threads kill me. A very good friend of mine is Pro HD DVD and we all laugh at him. They are like NE Patriots fans that still think they won the superbowl. It is a waste of time to even discuss it.

He refuses to come over to watch a BR movie on my PS3 saying it is ugly and a POS, and way too expensive. Then all he does on the side is complain about his HD DVD players (3 of them) having issues with firmware upgrades and movies locking up. Plus, now all of a sudden his complaint is cost to get into BR. Too Funny. The cost of a PS3 today is what each of his Toshibas cost since he jumped in on day 1, so they were not $150.00.

For every 1 person that says my PS3 is ugly, 10 think its cool.

I am purple so no need to throw stones, but for what it is worth I have had more issues with my Toshiba and none with my PS3. Everything I have thrown at it has worked, although the Toshiba upconverts my SD better on my 106" screen. IMHO.

I also agree that pricing will come down on BR due to competition between companies, it always has and always will. You don't think Toshiba will come out with a BR player? Bet they have one and comes out at $200-250.00

The HD DVD side should be mad at Toshiba for failing them, not the BR camp. Toshiba kept saying they were losing money on every player they sold, maybe they should have not taken pricing down and spent it into some advertising.
post #65 of 70 Old 03-09-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMIE View Post

You said you were 3 minutes into the previews when it went down. That doesn't give you much to stand on for an arguement.

These threads kill me. A very good friend of mine is Pro HD DVD and we all laugh at him. They are like NE Patriots fans that still think they won the superbowl. It is a waste of time to even discuss it.

He refuses to come over to watch a BR movie on my PS3 saying it is ugly and a POS, and way too expensive. Then all he does on the side is complain about his HD DVD players (3 of them) having issues with firmware upgrades and movies locking up. Plus, now all of a sudden his complaint is cost to get into BR. Too Funny. The cost of a PS3 today is what each of his Toshibas cost since he jumped in on day 1, so they were not $150.00.

For every 1 person that says my PS3 is ugly, 10 think its cool.

I am purple so no need to throw stones, but for what it is worth I have had more issues with my Toshiba and none with my PS3. Everything I have thrown at it has worked, although the Toshiba upconverts my SD better on my 106" screen. IMHO.

I also agree that pricing will come down on BR due to competition between companies, it always has and always will. You don't think Toshiba will come out with a BR player? Bet they have one and comes out at $200-250.00

The HD DVD side should be mad at Toshiba for failing them, not the BR camp. Toshiba kept saying they were losing money on every player they sold, maybe they should have not taken pricing down and spent it into some advertising.

Kermie, you need to reread my post. I said that I was watching a Blu-ray movie when the first PS3 stopped playing BR movies and games. The blurry movie was the DVD that I finished watching after the replacement PS3 arrived. I had watched the first half of the movie on the Xbox 360, the PS3 arrived, I stopped the movie set up the PS3 and finished watching the rest of the movie on the PS3. The SD DVD definitely looked better on the 360. Since then I have watched a Blu-ray movie, Superbad, on the PS3 and it looks every bit as good as my HD-DVDs do. I'm just disappointed in the PS3's upconversion and the fact that I had to go through 2 PS3s makes me worry about reliability.
post #66 of 70 Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Kermie, you need to reread my post. I said that I was watching a Blu-ray movie when the first PS3 stopped playing BR movies and games. The blurry movie was the DVD that I finished watching after the replacement PS3 arrived.

When did you get your replacement PS3? You said on 3/5 that "yesterday" (which would be 3/4) it went down, and you then had to send it back for a replacement. You spoke about the 360 vs PS3 upconversion on 3/7, which you say was after you got the replacement PS3.

I've never heard of anyone getting a replacement anything that quick before. I thought Newegg had excellent service... but that is amazing service! I'd love to know who will cross-ship a 80GB PS3 replacement that quickly. Or did you pay for overnight shipping, there and back?
post #67 of 70 Old 03-09-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

When did you get your replacement PS3? You said on 3/5 that "yesterday" (which would be 3/4) it went down, and you then had to send it back for a replacement. You spoke about the 360 vs PS3 upconversion on 3/7, which you say was after you got the replacement PS3.

I've never heard of anyone getting a replacement anything that quick before. I thought Newegg had excellent service... but that is amazing service! I'd love to know who will cross-ship a 80GB PS3 replacement that quickly. Or did you pay for overnight shipping, there and back?

Th place I bought the first one didn't have any more 80 gig so I returned it and then ordered one from Sears online.
post #68 of 70 Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Wow - I just wasted way too much time going through a 4 page thread about media server capability only to see that there wasn't anything about the media server capability and likely never will be. What a shame.
post #69 of 70 Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM

I am very satisfied that I bought the PS3 I have 2 kids that like the games and me and the wife can enjoy BLURAY worked out just fine!!!

PS Bluray is fantastic thru my Vizio 1080p
post #70 of 70 Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbal4 View Post

I am very satisfied that I bought the PS3 I have 2 kids that like the games and me and the wife can enjoy BLURAY worked out just fine!!!

PS Bluray is fantastic thru my Vizio 1080p

Totally aggree. I have buyed PS3 for kids, because i play computer games on PC. But this Bluray high definition movies are awesome!
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page