March 18th - Oppo DV-983H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today's Show:

Well the folks at Oppo Digital are at it again. This time they have released a new high end Up-Converting DVD player. The DV-983H is the new gold standard in up-converting DVD players. It incorporates Video Reference Series processing (VRS by) Anchor Bay. This is the same technology used in video processors costing $3000 or more. More...

Listen Now - mp3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Just wonder how the Toshiba Xa2 compares?
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbushman View Post

Just wonder how the Toshiba Xa2 compares?

Me 2. Considering I just bought an XA2.

This question probably won't be answered in this thread. I am sure it will be asked again. This does not make me feel bad about my purchase though. I guess there will be always be bigger, better, faster, and cheaper coming out...

HD-DVD = 128
Blu-Ray = 117
post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM

I read somewhere that the VRS chip is slightly better than the Reon chip. But i dont know how it compares to the Realta HQV.

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Well it doesn't play HD-DVD... It is the new reference DVD player at Secrets dethroning the Denon 5910 (double check me on this.)

Every HD DVD and Blu Ray player I have used is dirt slow except the PS3 which has mediocre DVD playback. Some of you video elitists better look again. Even with the best laid remote macros of mice and men, it is very annoying due to lag.

The Oppo 983 has one weakness - price. To those who had no problem dishing out money for a Denon 2930 or 3910 or 3930 etc., this is a no-brainer. To the average bargain seeker who can't fathom over $100 for a DVD or a universal remote, this thing is oddly a luxury item...

The real choice becomes PS3 or Oppo 983 with many hobbyists willing to sacrifice their child before letting a game system become a primary source.

That's my opinion. With soaring Blu Ray prices, Oppo got a bit lucky.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

The real choice becomes PS3 or Oppo 983 with many hobbyists willing to sacrifice their child before letting a game system become a primary source.

That's my opinion. With soaring Blu Ray prices, Oppo got a bit lucky.

I was in the same boat and chose a PS3 - I believe that the Oppo may be a better SD unit - the PS3 was actually cheaper than the Oppo based on SonyStyle promos. After careful consideration, I felt that the PS3 offered more for the money and is the best of both worlds.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 AM

Liked: 11
This Oppo uses the VRS processing by Anchor Bay. I know the Toshiba HD A30 uses this as well. Interesting.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM

To be honest i try not to watch SD-DVD anymore, just like how i stopped watching the SD channels on my cable box. It like i have been transported 20 yrs ago when we only had like 10 OTA TV channels. Once you get used to HD its hard to go back.

I've already replaced a few DVDs that i already owned with HD-DVD or Blu-ray versions. I bet many already feel like this and dont want to watch SD-DVDs anymore either

The oppo is a great player, but i think its too late to the game especially at $400. The oppo should be around $250 at most i think.

I can get a Toshiba A35 which uses a similar chip, which is considerably less $$ and i can watch HD-DVD too!!

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #9 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

To be honest i try not to watch SD-DVD anymore, just like how i stopped watching the SD channels on my cable box. It like i have been transported 20 yrs ago when we only had like 10 OTA TV channels. Once you get used to HD its hard to go back.

I've already replaced a few DVDs that i already owned with HD-DVD or Blu-ray versions. I bet many already feel like this and dont want to watch SD-DVDs anymore either

The oppo is a great player, but i think its too late to the game especially at $400. The oppo should be around $250 at most i think.

I can get a Toshiba A35 which uses a similar chip, which is considerably less $$ and i can watch HD-DVD too!!

Exactly! The Toshibas are a good deal right now - really cheap everywhere and the upscaling is really good. My only complaint - load time still sucks even with firmware upgrades.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM

just more competition for bluray, there's still an aweful lot of people who can't tell the difference between upconvert and true HD. at least it may help lower disc prices drop a little.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Is the picture really going to be that much better over the DV-980H for half the price?
post #12 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I believe the new Oppo to be a fantastic DVD player, no doubt about, even though I have no personal experience with it as of yet. I was seriously considering getting one for what I believe is the best available high-end DVD player for the bucks right now [however, I really wanted it to be able to send bitstream DSD to an AVR/processor-based decoder, but it just ain't happenin' (and that goes for most reasonable DSD-capable players/transports that are available right now)].

Well, I had me a re-think before leaping, and considering I have the PS3 (which is a decent upconverting DVD player, but admittedly prolly not in the same league as this 983), why would I fork out these kind of bucks (even though extremely reasonable for its offerings), when I can wait it out with my PS3 until a universal player (w/ Blu-ray) of real value and features comes out. I've always been a fan of Denon, and they have great players right now, but at a price point that is just not in sync with the rest of the pack (and considering no DSD decoding? - Denon really missed that boat with their high-priced 1st gen Blu-rays). Who knows, that best player may just end up being an Oppo; the Oppo Blu-ray (even though it may not be til' the 2nd to 3rd quarter of next year when it finally makes a debut). As I see it, this Oppo, although perhaps the primo DVD player in its league right now, will essentially be obsolete within a year. That is, if you're willing to buy into a future full-featured Blu-ray. Yet I do think that Oppo really has it going-on. Here's in anticipation of an Oppo Blu-ray!!!

- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #13 of 14 Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

This Oppo uses the VRS processing by Anchor Bay. I know the Toshiba HD A30 uses this as well. Interesting.

Toshiba HDA30 only uses the ABT1018 as upscaler. OPPO 983 uses both the ABT102 as deinterlacing and the ABT1018 as upscaler. The deinterlacing is the most important in DVD player.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM

You are comparing an XA2 that originally cost $999.00 to a Oppo 983 for $399.00. let us be serious here, the Oppo does not play HD, does not have true hd dts or true pro logic 5.1 and does not support 1080p 24. My neighbor has the new Oppo and comparing it to the XA2, I surely can not tell the difference except that the Oppo lacks a lot of features next to the XA2. Upscaling looks good on both, but HD 1080P 24 AND TRUE DYNAMIC SOUNDS PUTS THE XA2 in a much higher category. Just look at the original cost and build quality of the two and you will see why there is no comparison. you get what you pay for. But if want just to use the old standard dvds and have maybe a 1% better PQ, then you should go for it.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page