May 30th - NetFlix Media Player by Roku - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will have an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium sound card. The ATI has three adapters DVI, HDMI, and VGA.

I think this should be enough to stream well. I have digital converter boxes for both tvs. I wanted to some how inexpensively stream to those converter boxes wireless from my computer would be my first preference. The converter boxes have an audio and left and right plugs not used right now I could plug into if wireless is cost prohibitive. I have a 2wire which works great with the Roku. I want to get rid of the Roku and open up my ability to stream more than the three channels that are available on Roku on my tvs.

Right now with my old computer I stream music into livingroom with a very long speaker wire. I was told that if I got optical lines ?? That would get me a great sound. Not sure how that hooks up or what the cost yet. If I could somehow use the optical lines to get the sound to the livingroom. Then perhaps I could use maybe a long dvi cord to bring the picture in. I would want to split them to go to two different tvs as well. Maybe use a switch box at the computer to determine which tv is getting signal. I was told the HDMI cords are really expensive so that is out.

Has anyone tried this or have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post

will have an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium sound card. The ATI has three adapters DVI, HDMI, and VGA.

I think this should be enough to stream well. I have digital converter boxes for both tvs. I wanted to some how inexpensively stream to those converter boxes wireless from my computer would be my first preference. The converter boxes have an audio and left and right plugs not used right now I could plug into if wireless is cost prohibitive. I have a 2wire which works great with the Roku. I want to get rid of the Roku and open up my ability to stream more than the three channels that are available on Roku on my tvs.

Right now with my old computer I stream music into livingroom with a very long speaker wire. I was told that if I got optical lines ?? That would get me a great sound. Not sure how that hooks up or what the cost yet. If I could somehow use the optical lines to get the sound to the livingroom. Then perhaps I could use maybe a long dvi cord to bring the picture in. I would want to split them to go to two different tvs as well. Maybe use a switch box at the computer to determine which tv is getting signal. I was told the HDMI cords are really expensive so that is out.

Has anyone tried this or have suggestions?

You should probably check out www.monoprice.com
You can get decent quality cables and switches at a fraction of the cost of retail stores. I got a 25' cable with HDMI on one end, and DVI on the other for under twenty dollars. Then a 25' optical for audio. Both with shipping was around thirty dollars. That's what I use to stream Netflixs to my HT system. Works great. Plus, you're right. It does open you up to stream any content from your computer to your TV. Hulu, Youtube, Apple whatever. I also stream audio from www.pandora.com to my receiver via the optical cable.

My suggestion is to use the HDMI out on your video card, and if it doesn't pass the audio (some do, but most don't), use an optical cable from your sound card. Monopricone should also have the switcher if you want to send the video/audio to different rooms.

As far as wireless is concerned I really don't have much experience with it. You might want to look into this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124357 or perhaps something like it.

If it sounds good, it is good. ~ Duke Ellington

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." ~ Peter Clemenza

Visit my site for gear and photos
post #33 of 40 Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Yes I have ordered from Monoprice before awhile back but I forgot the name. That is where I bought my 75' speaker cord. I know they have the best prices. When you say some HDMI pass the audio, is it because of the type of card or the cable? Someone told me that the optical cable does a really good job of transfering the sound compared to other cables. Did you find that to be so? I can't believe you were able to get both cables so cheap. But then again I can.
I saw your postings earlier in this thread and it did sound like you probably knew about this. I am so ready to get that new computer and then setting up some really good streaming. Thanks for your imput.
post #34 of 40 Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM

After several transfers and all sorts of odd ball responses. I was told that the new pc would not be able to talk to my old tv. I couldn't get exact info why. I thought if I can connect the Roku directly to older tv why then why can't my pc do the same. They said I would need a tv tuner. My tv has rca adapters. My digital converter boxes have rca adapters. My Roku has rca adapters too. The graphics card will be an ATI 4850 HD with DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters. It took me an hour to find out after talking to three people there which Sound Blaster Titanium card would be installed. The sound card has the 1/8 " plug in and optical in and out.

I plan to upgrade tv and speakers down the road. But in the interium I don't know why I can't up grade my computer first and then the tvs etc later and still be able to stream music and movies on the tv. The only reason I am going with HP is because none of the others rated well for customer service which is sad since I don't think HP is that great.

My Roku has only three channels to stream and I like to stream lots more. I know Matt you mentioned the HDMI cable at one end and the DVI at the other end but I have rca adapters on the tv end. If I can put dvi into rca even with another adapter? Also would my hd graphics card be able to talk to my tv or should I connect it to digital converter box first then to tv? I hate to bother you but I have been searching online for hours today and on the phone with HP and still not clear how and if I can stream the way I want. If not possible at least I will know before buying.
post #35 of 40 Old 09-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post

Yes I have ordered from Monoprice before awhile back but I forgot the name. That is where I bought my 75' speaker cord. I know they have the best prices. When you say some HDMI pass the audio, is it because of the type of card or the cable? Someone told me that the optical cable does a really good job of transfering the sound compared to other cables. Did you find that to be so? I can't believe you were able to get both cables so cheap. But then again I can.
I saw your postings earlier in this thread and it did sound like you probably knew about this. I am so ready to get that new computer and then setting up some really good streaming. Thanks for your imput.

I was referring to the video card.
You can check out the specks here:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...fications.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI Radeon View Post

HDMI output support

* All display resolutions up to 1920x10802
* Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS, DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over HDMI

Looks like it does, so you won't need an optical cable. The audio, and video will go through the single HDMI cable. Much better than an optical, especially if you plan to put a Bluray drive in that new computer.

post #36 of 40 Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 PM

How old is your "old TV"? Which brand, model?

Do you use an HT receiver or is everything going directly to the TV?

post #37 of 40 Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 PM

they both have rca connections on the back. The digital antenna signal has to go through converter boxes with coax and then I use a coax to tv. But the converter box has unused rca plugs one for audio and a left and right audio.

I was thinking that maybe the converter box that turns digital to analog might be a way to send computer digital signal to the tv by utilizing those unused rca plugs. But I don't know if those are rca in or out I guess.

I don't know if the internet digital is the same as the tv digital language. Hp guy was telling me it wasn't. That is why I need a tv tuner in my computer to change the internet digital into tv digital. I am a little skeptical since they want to sell me more and I wasn't so sure he knew what he was talking about. He couldn't tell me the name of the two different types of digital signal.

I use a 75' stereo speaker wire from my tv to a switch box that I control multiple uses for my speakers. One channel would be the streaming music from computer, another one for the sound from the tv and another one from a bookshelf receiver.

I do hook my Roku directly to my tv with rca plugs.

The Roku is set up to receive wireless signal from my 2wire router. Basically it converts the internet data and sends it to my tv. I just think with the right hardware my computer could do the same thing with rca plugs to my tv at least for now.

Thanks for the info about the graphics card. That is good to know. I went to ATI's site but didn't understand the specs entirely. I liked that upgraded card since it was the first one to offer the three adapters HDMI, DVI and VGA which I thought down the road it would be important to have options.

My husband says don't worry we will just use the Roku and use speaker wire for streaming music for now. But I have done many work arounds in the past so I know there can be ways to expand the use of the equipment if you research it. I would really like to dump the Roku eventually and stream lots more content.
post #38 of 40 Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 AM

How is this box any different than a xbox360. I can view netflix and add movies to my queue through my xbox.
post #39 of 40 Old 10-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIcon View Post

How is this box any different than a xbox360. I can view netflix and add movies to my queue through my xbox.

Ummmmm, it's wireless. I don't own one, but I think that's about it.

For those interested I found this over at Cnet.
http://cnettv.cnet.com/set-up-roku-d...-50070841.html

oh, and this too.
Xbox
http://cnettv.cnet.com/stream-netfli...-50002872.html

If that link doesn't work, try this direct link:
http://cdn15.castfire.com/video/78/4...2-144306-8.m4v

post #40 of 40 Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Stumbled on some more info regarding Netflix playback.

Found this in the sig of another AVS member, Stephen Hopkins. Good review of different components that are capable of streaming Netflix.

http://www.cepro.com/article/review_..._4_ce_devices/

Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page