January 16th - HP Mini, XP Edition - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Today's Show:
We mentioned in our CES roundup that Netbooks are fast becoming a popular class of personal computer. Their main use is for web browsing, email, and light general computing. Their main draw is cost and size when compared to a regular laptop. When Ara saw the new HP Mini Netbook in Costco he wondered if this device could be used as a portable media device. This feature will only concentrate on using this device in that capacity. This will not be a full review of the Netbook. more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I wonder if the DVD files were copied to a 16gig flash drive would the netbook be able to play the movie?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 AM

I have probably over 50 movies in DivX format on my MSI Wind. I can watch 2 full movies on a single charge and still have a little left over. The size makes it great to carry through the house to different places. I like to use it while playing PS3 to look up hints and cheats for games or read walk throughs.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 PM

I picked up the HP Mini 1000 as soon as it was available from the HP online store. The review was pretty much spot on with what I have experienced over the past 2 months of use except for 1 issue.

Overall a great little PC (also has the best netbook keyboard in the business)that I use for:

1. Email and internet
2. MS Office when on the go
3. Mobile GPS Navigation (MS Streets and Trips w/GPS receiver)
4. Ripped DVD and steaming video viewing while traveling
5. Streaming audio to my outdoor "party" system

The issue is that this netbook's audio output jack is a software switchable combined mic/headphone jack. No big deal for my intended use but the resulting audio quality is not up to par. I contacted HP and they had me download a new audio driver and some other patch. Sound improved but still below what is typically expected from such devices. Now it's basically okay for movie headphone use but still not really acceptable for music, especially when driving any sort of audio system. My workaround is using a USB sound card, luckily I had one already but it's still annoying to have to carry something extra around.

Overall, maybe still the best netbook out there but check the audio out if you intend to use it. The odd screen resolution stretches windows a bit too, in case you are sensitive to that, but it's not an issue for me.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page