February 6th - DTVPal DVR from Dish Network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today's Show:
Although the US Government has opted to push the digital transition back a few months, we're still fairly confident that it will eventually happen. When it does, everyone receiving over the air television will still need a converter box if their TV doesn't have a built in digital tuner. Dish Network has three options available if you find yourself in that situation. We've had a chance to check out their DVR option, the DTVPal DVR. more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my DTV Pal DVR for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it! Granted it doesn't have all the flash and flair of Vista Media Center (which I also use) but it certainly does get the job done for me as I do record a lot of OTA broadcasts.

You guys did give this a pretty decent review, but you are incorrect about being able use the internet to download "interactive guide information." I just sent you guys an email which I'll also post here as well..

---------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing in regards to your DTV Pal review in show #352. You guys stated that the DTV Pal DVR downloads an interactive guide (I assume you mean the electronic programming guide) from the internet. Although I wish this were true, this is not the case. What I think happened is you actually downloaded the digital TVGOS service which is being broadcast by many PBS and CBS affiliates around the country. Right now this service is hit or miss as all markets aren't carrying it yet. I know this because I live in a market that is not carrying the digital TVGOS service yet. I made an inquiry with Macrovision about the TVGos service, and they told me it should be available in my area after February 17th. What I do know is if you see the TV Guide logo on your EPG, you are recieving the TVGos service, otherwise you are just recieving PSIP data from your local broadcasters. I've also read in some areas, the TVGos service isn't providing guide date for all the channels.. When this happens, the missing TVGos data is then populated by that channel's PSIP data.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The manual doesn't explain very well about how the DVR gets it's guide data or even anything about digital TVGos service, but it does document how to set it up for other analog TVGos devices. However I've read in other discussions here on the AVS forums that the digital TVGos service does indeed work in some areas of the US on this DVR.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
with an attic antenna
what are your thoughts on this vs the Phillips DVDR 3576H
vs TiVo Series3 HD DVR
I am trying to decide which to get, unless anyone thinks more will be coming out as we can still record in chicago on vhs till june

https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxdetai...&boxsku=R65216
Compare Plans

Monthly service$12.95
Annual service$129
3-year service$299
Product lifetime$399
Low, easy monthly payments Prepay and save! A great value! One payment lasts the life of your DVR!

1 year commitment to the TiVo service required.
Early termination fee up to $155.40 applies if canceled prior to commitment end date, except as permitted by 30 day Money Back Guarantee.
Money Back Guarantee applies only to initial activations if canceled within 30 days and DVR is returned for a full refund.
After 1 year commitment, your service plan will continue at the then-current monthly service plan rate.
Subject to full terms and conditions for TiVo Payment Plans.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page