June 18th - Pioneer VSX-820-K Audio/Video Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today's Show:
Every Fall, just before Christmas, we do a receiver buying guide to help our audience decide on what to buy. Last Fall our value receiver was an Onkyo SR607 which sold for $320. After spending time with the Pioneer VSX-820-K ($280) we have a new king! The VSX-820-K is a 5.1 system that has 4 HDMI inputs and does next generation audio. more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Russell View Post

Today's Show:
Every Fall, just before Christmas, we do a receiver buying guide to help our audience decide on what to buy. Last Fall our value receiver was an Onkyo SR607 which sold for $320. After spending time with the Pioneer VSX-820-K ($280) we have a new king! The VSX-820-K is a 5.1 system that has 4 HDMI inputs and does next generation audio. more...

Listen now - mp3

thanks for a great look at this receiver. Seems for the price to fit my budget and is full of the features that I need.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
After hearing about the Pioneer 820-K on HT Guys I began to research this model vs. other similar priced AVRs due to being in the marked for a 3d capable receiver. Since I recently purchased a Yamaha v1800reciever last year (MSRP $1299), I really didn’t want to break the bank. After extensive research I ended up narrowing down my search to the Denon AVR-591 and the Pioneer 820-K.

Just my humble opinion the Denon AVR-591 smokes the Pioneer 820-k. Reason being the Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume. However the Denon is MSRP of $350 vs the $300 MSRP for the Pioneer. These features alone are worth WAY more than $50 price difference. If you are not aware of what Audyssey will do I encourage you to read up on them. This Denon with Audyssey MultiEQ is a NIGHT and DAY difference in terms of sound quality between the Yamaha I purchased for triple the price last year.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I just connected this unit for a friend and it clips off at moderate volume levels and has to be powered back on. Is this unit defective?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have this receiver and love it. Does anyone know if you can connect a computer via HDMI? Which input?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 PM

I am considering buying this receiver, but I have a question before I purchase it. Per the manual (footnote 2 on page 20): "You can use speakers with a normal impedance between 6 Ω and 16 Ω. However, be aware that only the front speakers are set to a value between 12 Ω and 16 Ω when you select SP>AB." Does this mean that if I have SP>AB turned on, that my front speakers must be able to support 12 Ω and 16 Ω? Most speakers I have been looking at only support 4-8 Ω.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page