October 1st - brite-View Air SyncHD and Bye bye Blu-ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today's Show:
Netflix just launched their service in Canada, but they aren't planning to ship a single disc. The entire service is what we refer to as "Watch it Now" or their streaming video service. They're also on record as saying that if they were starting in the US right now, they'd do the same thing: skip discs entirely and go straight to streaming. Microsoft has recently also predicted that Blu-ray will go the way of the HD-DVD very soon. So what do these companies know that we don't? more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not gonna happen. Broadband infrastructure isn't even close to being built up enough to throw out HD content, in near the same quality, as Blu-Ray. You're going to need 50MB connections to be commonplace before you see what Microsoft is predicting to happen. I think Blu-Ray easily will be the HD choice for the next five years.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Not gonna happen. Broadband infrastructure isn't even close to being built up enough to throw out HD content, in near the same quality, as Blu-Ray. You're going to need 50MB connections to be commonplace before you see what Microsoft is predicting to happen. I think Blu-Ray easily will be the HD choice for the next five years.

Not to mention the fact that many, if not most, ISPs have a hard cap on downloads. Once you reach that cap, you get the lovely 56k speeds you used to get when your mommy had your internet going through AOHelL. So not only do we not have the infrastructure for it, even if we did the ISPs would choke us for so much money to download the huge amounts of data required for just two movies, that we'd be better off buying the discs at full retail without them being on sale. It seriously would cost less that way than with the download method.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Excellent point.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #5 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
Geez I hope not. It could possiblly be the end of home theater as we know it. No way I'm sitting my theater room watching streamed movies
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe we should all take another look at the XstreamHD business model of satellite delivery to a hard drive. With the recent filing of Blockbuster for bankruptcy and the Netflix business model slowly turning to the Internet content delivery we need an alternate transport medium to get BD quality to the home. Fiber optics is about 10K per house and years away from covering all the major cities let alone the countryside. Satellite can deliver the bandwidth inexpensively compared to hard wire (coax or fiber. Cable compresses signals so much that the quality will never satisfy a projection home theater owner.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Liked: 10
Since streaming is on the rise yet the infrastructure is not improving, could it be that the majority of people streaming movies simply don't care about HD content? I can certainly say that for the majority of my viewing, I don't care about BR-level quality at this point.

Marginalization of disc hoarding is looking more and more probable; pixel peeping a la "my BR content is better than your BR content on a screen six meters across" is also likely to remain a fringe pursuit. I've seen BR discs at grocers, indicating that they are mainstream, yet it also seems at least probable that the toddlers in line today at those stores won't know what a BR disc is by the time they're old enough to watch PG material.

Luckily the better BR players have streaming built in.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaviator View Post

Geez I hope not. It could possiblly be the end of home theater as we know it. No way I'm sitting my theater room watching streamed movies

I agree with this right here. There is no way Im paying the kind of money I did for my system only to watch subpar streams.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaviator View Post

Why does it have to be streamed? Why not downloading a digital copy that is saved on a hard drive?
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page