March 18th - Samsung BD-D6500 Blu-ray player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today's Show:
There's a lot of talk about streaming movies eventually taking over for conventional disc based media like DVD and Blu-ray. But we all know the quality just isn't quite there yet to eliminate Blu-ray entirely. So what are you to do? Why not buy a Blu-ray player that also streams movies so you're covered for both cases? If it also supports 3D, you're triple covered. That's what you get with the Samsung BD-D6500. more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Russell View Post
Today's Show:
There's a lot of talk about streaming movies eventually taking over for conventional disc based media like DVD and Blu-ray. But we all know the quality just isn't quite there yet to eliminate Blu-ray entirely. So what are you to do? Why not buy a Blu-ray player that also streams movies so you're covered for both cases? If it also supports 3D, you're triple covered. That's what you get with the Samsung BD-D6500. more...

Listen now - mp3
I have 0 interest in relying on a network connection to watch a compressed movie. Discs for the win!
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroniman View Post
I have 0 interest in relying on a network connection to watch a compressed movie. Discs for the win!
You ever seen VUDU HDX? It is really close to Blu-ray quality. So close that I can enjoy it on my 60 inch Kuro, unlike Netflix which looks just ok to really bad on it.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post
You ever seen VUDU HDX? It is really close to Blu-ray quality. So close that I can enjoy it on my 60 inch Kuro, unlike Netflix which looks just ok to really bad on it.
Yeah, Vudu HDX is awesome - looks and sounds good. I haven't rented an HDX in a while, they used to be a drag because they had to buffer for a while before you could watch. Do you still have to wait before they start playing, or did they fix that?

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Russell View Post

Yeah, Vudu HDX is awesome - looks and sounds good. I haven't rented an HDX in a while, they used to be a drag because they had to buffer for a while before you could watch. Do you still have to wait before they start playing, or did they fix that?

I just found out that I need to upgrade my Internet speed to over 4 MBPS...for VUDU HDX. As it is now, I can watch in SD mode and the presentation is great...starts up "instant"...and the 5.1 is great. I've seen HDX and I can't wait to get mine running.

Espo77
post #6 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM

I have 2 Samsung BDP-2550 w/ Netflix & Pandora. I bought them several years ago because of their onboard Silicon Optix HQV processing. They have completely changed our family's viewing. I have one hooked up to a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD, and the other to a 123" Panasonic 1080p front projector.

We have eliminated cable. We get 23 over the air channels with our antenna many in HD, and use Netflix for everything else. I have 5 kids so our usage is high. The Netflix interface is VERY primative compared to the newer models. Netflix from the Wii or Xbox 360 is much more user friendly, but the picture quality from the Samsung players is superior.

Pandora is also awesome through these players. Again, my interface is primative compared to the new versions.

Spoiler alert though, my Verizon DSL service was recently changed (thanks to the Supreme Courts protecting me [sic]), so Verizon can now call it "Unlimited", but change my contract to say 150Gb per month and then charge a $10 per 50Gb fee after that. To me, that should mean they call it "150Gb per month service" not "Unlimited".

Does anyone know if you can Netflix to a Tivo or something like that so I wouldn't have bandwidth charges for TV shows my kids watch repeatedly???
post #7 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Good review.. Sounds nice but I prefer Media Center when it comes to steaming movies..
It has a better interface then stand along BR players..

But I am on the same boats as many of you in that while I like the ease and fun of streaming but hands down nothing beats a disk for now.

I didn't buy all that THX gear to watch compressed media
post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Yeah but how portable is that system? If I want to look through my library of movies, grab a blu-ray and head over to my friends place for movie night, I want the freedom to do so. If I want to watch a movie on my laptop while in flight, I'd like that freedom. The network is great when you have access to a high quality connection. And no, I have not heard of VUDU HDX.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 PM

+1 for Vudu. I recieved a free credit with my account activation. Watched Megamind in HDX and looked incredible through a Epson 8350 on an 106" screen. Vudu definatly looks better to me than Netflix or Amazon VOD. Just a tad pricey, but all streaming services seem expensive. Still prefer redbox for my bluray rentals if they have the title I want.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM

I just picked one of these up to act as a stand alone to replace MY PS3. So far I am really pleased with it. For what I would call and entry level Blu-Ray it does a pretty good job. The interface is relatively quick and I like that you can turn off the display and accent light. Most of all I like that it is slot loading.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

My tivo Premier has netflix however it still uses your internet connection.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Tags
Samsung Bd D6500 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Samsung Bd D6500 3d Smart Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - D6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page