June 17th - Over the Air TV Signals - Are They Still Needed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today's Show:
On the last two shows we discussed an initiative by the Consumer Electronics Association to eliminate over the air (OTA) broadcasts of television signals. In CEAs findings they stated that only 8% of the US population receives their signals through the air. We feel that this number is artificially stated as low. The survey polled 1,256 adults but it did not say where the respondents were located. If the survey was done in rural communities that number may be as high as 25%. more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have been seeing a trend in the last 6 months or so on the satellite boards, where long time members are starting to discontinue service and move on to an OTA model, backed up with IP based content. These are the early adopter type folks and we could be seeing the early signs of a rebirth of OTA. That may be what the CEA is really worried about.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Heck yeah they're still needed!

I, for one, love having a couple dozen channels available for free. I could get more if I mounted a 2nd antenna and pointed it toward Tampa (already get one Tampa independent channel off the back of my antenna)

My girlfriend is finally realizing how much we really don't need cable (been cable-free for a year now). Esp. after she saw what's available online via HULU, Zinc, etc.

A guy I work with is now about to drop his satellite and go OTA.

But if they drop OTA completely, there will be quite a few people w/o TV as an entertainment/info source.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The reason the percentage may be so low is because they ask an either/or question....do you get your TV channels from cable, sat, uVerse/FIOS, or OTA. Most people probably pick the primary source. I have DISH, but I also get my local channels OTA via an attic antenna.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

I get all my content OTA or via Netflix & Hulu and have been doing so for the past 7-8 years. It was so liberating to stop paying for ridiculous amounts of money for hundreds of channels I wasn't going to watch.

So I hope they don't terminate OTA signals. I actually don't watch a lot of OTA TV anymore, opting to watch most of my content from Netflix and Hulu, but my kids watch a lot of PBS OTA every morning.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Most of my TV watching is from OTA. I would hate to lose that.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Most of my TV watching is from OTA. I would hate to lose that.

I would also hate to lose OTA. And I agree, those survey results are not accurate. They are published to try to promote the selfish agendas of the special interest groups who would like nothing better than to see OTA killed off.

Even people who don't use OTA benefit by its existence. It provides some checks and balances with paid TV subscriptions. I know this from my own pesonal experience when I completely dropped cable; and then they called me back and offered me a promotional rate for new customers.

While OTA doesn't offer specialty channels, it can provide the clearest HD signal with no compression unlike cable and satelite. Also, combined with a netflix subscription, it satisfies the needs of many people.

The cable and satelite companies will be tinkled pink if the government further reduces RF frequencies for OTA (which may ultimiately end up in its demise). However, I for one will be very upset if OTA goes away I just wished there was much greater public awareness about this important topic.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 AM

Put me down as another OTA + Netflix only user. As was mentioned earlier this is definitely a new paradigm, much like homes dropping landlines and going cell only. IMO this is why Showtime is pulling active shows from Netflix streaming. Look for more content providers to do the same as Netflix, hulu etc continue to gain viewers. Killing OTA would help them stem the tide.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page