February 17th - Cord Cutting: A Financial Analysis - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Today's Show:
Cord cutting has been in the news quite a bit lately. A week doesn't go by when we don't receive an email from a listener telling us about how they have cut the cord and couldn't be happier. Every email prompts us to consider a life without cable bills but inevitably there is something that keeps us from taking the plunge. A recent email from Van in Odenton Maryland got us thinking. Could we combine OTA with a Tivo Box and iTunes and a AppleTV and essentially eliminate our Pay TV bill altogether? For this paper study we will use Ara's TV usage as the base. more...

Listen now - mp3

Braden Russell
Host, HDTV & Home Theater Podcast
Check it out at www.htguys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 16
On amazon a lot of tv shows are still 2.99 and can end up costing more than buying the discs on release. I'm surprised so many people will pay that. Renting the disc or waiting until its available with your regular streaming service is much more economical. Patience is very important if you want to succeed and having ota dvr helps a lot.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
My wife and I signed up for Dish Network a little over two years ago. For over twenty years my family did without a pay-tv provider. I have a htpc with a usb tuner and a Panasonic dvr recorder with hdd and a very nice rooftop antenna plus the assorted BD players and Roku boxes. We really enjoy pay-tv and while we may cut back, I don't see us quiting anytime soon. We don't watch much of the ota networks now and would miss some shows that aren't yet on Netflix or Amazon. We did, and still could go back to, a very nice set-up.

By cutting the cord, you'll save money. But unless tv entertainment means nothing to you, you'll still have spend money on it. Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, Vudu aren't free. You'll spend money on a streaming box, ota dvr and tv series box sets. And don't foget paying for internet. It will be cheaper and more customized, but people who believe that it will free are just kidding themselves.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I wouldn't consider the cost of broadband internet as a part of this analysis since I can't imagine that most people, in this market, would not have it anyway. Cutting the cord means that you are taking better advantage of it.

I have Dish too (more than 10 years), and I find that with all the fees and the way their packages are setup, it has become enormously expensive compared to the options. I'm planning to drop it as soon as I get my options sorted out.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
On amazon a lot of tv shows are still 2.99 and can end up costing more than buying the discs on release. I'm surprised so many people will pay that. Renting the disc or waiting until its available with your regular streaming service is much more economical. Patience is very important if you want to succeed and having ota dvr helps a lot.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page