Sontia Stable Phase Technology Could Be the Next Big Thing in Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 669

Chris Vernon, founder and CEO of Sontia Logic Ltd, explains his Stable Phase Technology, which analyzes the performance of an audio system, including all sources of phase and frequency distortion, and corrects this distortion using sophisticated DSP algorithms. The results include a much wider and deeper sweet spot, improved spatial separation and speech clarity, extended bass response, and increased perceived volume. Plus answers to chat-room questions and more.

Run time: 1:00:46

imagic likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going to be interesting to see if this new tech gets mainstream and if this will be a potential Audyssey replacement. Great interview by the way.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post

Going to be interesting to see if this new tech gets mainstream and if this will be a potential Audyssey replacement. Great interview by the way.

Thanks! I don't think this is going to replace Audyssey, which is generic room correction. SPT is individualized for each specific product without regard for the room. In fact, combining SPT with Audyssey or some such system should give the best of both worlds—a self-corrected audio product that is then tweaked for the room in which it is used.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #4 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Thanks! I don't think this is going to replace Audyssey, which is generic room correction. SPT is individualized for each specific product without regard for the room. In fact, combining SPT with Audyssey or some such system should give the best of both worlds—a self-corrected audio product that is then tweaked for the room in which it is used.
this is funny Scott I just started watching the podcast...

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #5 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Liked: 12
It seems I'm not the only one that missed this but, I thought the room IS the major issue for distortion and all related problems and that is what Audyssey corrections seek to, well, correct:-)
Sorry if it got apparent from the video (can't watch it now) but if Sontia is not correcting for the room like Audyssey , what is it correcting?

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display. -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #6 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
They forgot to say turn of the worst thing in audio and just about every TV and sound bar has, SRS true this or that with about 10 deferent names hung on it.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have some catching up to do!

Scott, something that may be interesting is to one day cover the DIY side of audio and the offerings that are available and what the advantages and disadvantages are.

I dont know how many would be interested in such a program(you have even done one and I missed it) but I know that as I continue to educate myself the field of possibility grows. It would be interesting to hear some experts about what DIY systems are best for a Home Theater application.
CMonMan likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #8 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Watched the podcast and it was great. I look forward to seeing Sontia integrated in more products in the future. It's an interesting process and I look forward to it in speakers and maybe one day...AVRs.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #9 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 View Post

It seems I'm not the only one that missed this but, I thought the room IS the major issue for distortion and all related problems and that is what Audyssey corrections seek to, well, correct:-)
Sorry if it got apparent from the video (can't watch it now) but if Sontia is not correcting for the room like Audyssey , what is it correcting?

Sontia is correcting phase and frequency-response problems in the speaker and associated amp...things like cabinet resonances, impulse response, and crossover distortions.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #10 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Watched the podcast and it was great. I look forward to seeing Sontia integrated in more products in the future. It's an interesting process and I look forward to it in speakers and maybe one day...AVRs.

Thanks! Actually, I doubt it will ever be implemented in an AVR, because it's designed to correct problems in an entire audio system, including amp and speakers. Thus, it's for integrated systems, such as self-powered speakers, soundbars, HTIBs, portable devices with headphones, those sorts of things.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #11 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I have some catching up to do!

Scott, something that may be interesting is to one day cover the DIY side of audio and the offerings that are available and what the advantages and disadvantages are.

I dont know how many would be interested in such a program(you have even done one and I missed it) but I know that as I continue to educate myself the field of possibility grows. It would be interesting to hear some experts about what DIY systems are best for a Home Theater application.

Do you mean building your own amps, speakers, that sort of thing? Good idea! Who would you suggest as an expert on this?

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 128
can we get a beta product...

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #13 of 14 Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hey Scott:

Since I'm too lazy too write a email, I'm just going to mention that I think you'd be interesting in reading this article and watching the demo video that goes with it.

24/192 Music Download...and why they make no sense

Digital Show & Tell

I'm a software engineer and took a digital control systems course in college and I still learned things about dithering that I didn't learn in college. And I wish this video had been that lecture I had in college since the presentation was much easier to understand than the lectures I sat through.

This might even make for a good episode of Home Theater Geeks if you can get Monty to do the show. He could be the complement to Michael Fremer's positions. Personally, I think the issue that people like Monty miss is that when you've grown up listening to analog tape and vinyl like Fremer and most of us audiophiles (since we tend to be an older demographic), listening to digital recordings can feel like being locked in an anechoic chamber. The complete lack of any ambient noise can be very disturbing to those of us that grew up with tape hiss and turntable rumble.

Anyway, keep up the good work, looking forward to the next episode of HTG.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Personally, I think the issue that people like Monty miss is that when you've grown up listening to analog tape and vinyl like Fremer and most of us audiophiles (since we tend to be an older demographic), listening to digital recordings can feel like being locked in an anechoic chamber. The complete lack of any ambient noise can be very disturbing to those of us that grew up with tape hiss and turntable rumble.

I don't think Monty missed that as it relates to accurate encoding, decoding or reproduction of sound. Monty has never voiced any objections to people who prefer any type of distortion or coloration - he only objects when introducing such effects via the encoding/decoding/playback chain are stated as being better or more accurate than encoding/decoding/playback without such artifacts. There are lots of ways for recording engineers to introduce ambient effects if that's what they intend the listener to hear, and many are uncomfortable with ad-hoc remixing by introducing such effects with playback mechanisms like turntables and tapes.

The only exception I can think of to the above is if a recording engineer specifically states that their mix and master is intended only for playback via tape/turntable or other mechanism with a known coloration or distortion profile.

Also, I don't get how Sontia can make meaningful speaker corrections without room influence, and even if it did why I would want that, because I don't listen in an anechoic chamber. Put another way, I prefer corrections to factor in the effects of the entire reproduction audio system, and the room is certainly part of that for everything that reaches my ears that are reflected off any surface. If there are certain corrections that need to be made prior to the use of something like AudioLens, etc that those correction systems can't make or make poorly and that Sontia does, then I missed that in the podcast.

edit: I listened to the podcast again, and I think Sontia's stuff is intended for devices that wouldn't use AudioLens, Audyssey, etc. I can see how a HTIB or soundbar would sound much better with something like Sontia than without.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page