Blu-ray vs. Streaming - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I dunno. I rarely use my blu ray anymore and don't watch flix repeatedly. I just got a new 55" led and have downgraded my surround sound 5.1 to a zvox (I have these in other rooms), and am likely merely going to stream through roku and the tv. With my current 42" lcd, I'm quite pleased with vudu hdx and since I go ethernet wired, I never have a drop. I will either go ethernet on my new 55" (different room) or go wifi but will stay with streaming. The extra steps to rent and deal with blu ray, and the invariable amount of times we doze off anyway watching movies at home, makes me feel that an hdx stream via vudu and roku or via the tv is sufficient. This is coming from a nyc apartment living guy who generally sees his flicks in the theaters anyway, so movies at home are secondary. Yet, I like my good audio and video gear, and am usually pretty snobby about quality, but my usage tendencies seem to be what they are. If I had a home theater in a house in the burbs I'd prolly think differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 389
With 42", you won't be able to tell the difference and with some newer encoded movies, even with 55" viewed from SMPTE distance, it's acceptable. From THX distance, it's a different story.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #93 of 98 Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 12
Ok, thanks. So, my modest set up of 42 and 55 size tvs wouldn't have the sensitivity to see the differences bw blu ray and an hdx stream. Makes sense, and validates my thinking. Kind of weird for me as I always get a strong player and have oppos since the famous "upconvert to 1080i over component via hack" daze. We move on....
David Susilo likes this.
post #94 of 98 Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
Blue ray is good enough I think.
post #95 of 98 Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone streaming with Google Fiber?
Fiber is coming to my neighborhood next month and was wondering if it would be worth getting a subscription to a streaming service with the higher speed? I will be viewing on 3 smaller plasmas that I'm not to concerned with, more so a 135'' projection screen and the picture quality. Blu-Rays look incredible on the projector screen.

Thanks
post #96 of 98 Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
I don't have real TV so we have hulu and Netflix. Video quality could be better on both but I find the audio quality the most disruptive. Upgrading my speakers has made things sound worse as I anticipated for streamed sources. Bluray wins big time in my books.

I'm lucky and have no cap up or down and consistently get 35-50mbps down and 3 up so that's ok, but Netflix and hulu, their end at times can't keep up with a popular show and it'll buffer. Meanwhile I could illegally stream from popcorntime or other sources that are both higher audio and video quality with zero buffering issues! Rather irritating to say the least.

60" in basement and 46" in bedroom using computers and ps3's.
post #97 of 98 Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme View Post

I don't have real TV so we have hulu and Netflix. Video quality could be better on both but I find the audio quality the most disruptive. Upgrading my speakers has made things sound worse as I anticipated for streamed sources. Bluray wins big time in my books.

I'm lucky and have no cap up or down and consistently get 35-50mbps down and 3 up so that's ok, but Netflix and hulu, their end at times can't keep up with a popular show and it'll buffer. Meanwhile I could illegally stream from popcorntime or other sources that are both higher audio and video quality with zero buffering issues! Rather irritating to say the least.

60" in basement and 46" in bedroom using computers and ps3's.

It is a well known secret that ISP's like Comcast routinely have throttled Netflix and potentially other sites in order to extort "priority" usage fees from them to stop this practice (tantamount to a shakedown). However, even with no throttling, Netflix and other sites can use very low bitrates for both audio and video. In many instances I have found the audio to actually be inferior to a regular DVD and more like a poorly compressed MP3 file! Now, that's bad! I would expect streaming services, for now, to be limited to lossy audio compression, but something akin to 640 kbps Dolby Digital Plus with no further degradation of the master soundtrack other than the fact it's lossy. Unfortunately, that is not the case, especially with Netflix audio.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #98 of 98 Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

It is a well known secret that ISP's like Comcast routinely have throttled Netflix and potentially other sites in order to extort "priority" usage fees from them to stop this practice (tantamount to a shakedown). However, even with no throttling, Netflix and other sites can use very low bitrates for both audio and video. In many instances I have found the audio to actually be inferior to a regular DVD and more like a poorly compressed MP3 file! Now, that's bad! I would expect streaming services, for now, to be limited to lossy audio compression, but something akin to 640 kbps Dolby Digital Plus with no further degradation of the master soundtrack other than the fact it's lossy. Unfortunately, that is not the case, especially with Netflix audio.

It's only shows such as family guy or Stephen Colbert the day they come on in my case. I'm in Canada with an isp that claims (and so far true) to not throttle, including any p2p activities I may or may not undertake ;-) I routinely find this to be the case for new shows, like their servers aresaturated and can't dish it out fast enough.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Digital Streaming Media Devices

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page