Blu-ray vs. Streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 1163

AVS Forum Newsbreaker Mark Henninger talks about his ongoing series of comparisons of movies delivered on Blu-ray and the online streaming services iTunes and Vudu, including how streaming has improved over the past year, how he conducts comparisons with screen caps and photos, what still frames can tell us, the value of "pixel peeping" and brightness enhancement, the strengths and weaknesses of Vudu versus iTunes, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They can improve streaming all they want but until the ISPs improve their services (speed and reliability) including taking the caps off, it won't make one bit of difference. Also, until the streaming companies come up with a way that I can play the movie as many times as I want, when ever I want, at no additional cost, I'll take my blu ray hard copy.
Redmist, bulls, Djoel and 6 others like this.
post #3 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I agree on the ISP part. Reliability is probably more of a concern. 2 times I host a Vudu party and my connection drop and everyone have to wait (and no ETA frown.gif...) Fortunately, they resolved within 15-20mins, but still I think I will not ditch my blu-ray and go 100% streaming.
post #4 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Great show guys. biggrin.gif

I don't think I will ever be able to switch completely to streaming. I use streaming as a convenience, but watch Blu-rays for my dedicate theater. Nothing like optimum performance from physical media.

It'll be interesting to see H.265 and it's specs. That might be a game changer.
linneh likes this.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #5 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 428
To stream the best quality 1080p stream movies at the rate of watching 8 movies a month, I'll need an internet plan that costs me $200 per month. It's still cheaper for me to buy 8 blu-rays a month and have a 60GB cap internet plan AND I get to keep the shiny disc after watching them biggrin.gif
Redmist and MilkManX like this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #6 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum Newsbreaker Mark Henninger talks about his ongoing series of comparisons of movies delivered on Blu-ray and the online streaming services iTunes and Vudu, including how streaming has improved over the past year, how he conducts comparisons with screen caps and photos, what still frames can tell us, the value of "pixel peeping" and brightness enhancement, the strengths and weaknesses of Vudu versus iTunes, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

bluray wins....
post #7 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

bluray wins....

I agree, Blu-ray does win. It wins every time in terms of ultimate quality. Every comparison that I have done has demonstrated that. The point of these comparisons is to determine the suitability of the online distribution formats for viewing in a home theater environment. I want to know which online distribution format actually looks the best, on a movie-by-movie basis.

In some cases, the quality of the online distribution versions is simply unacceptable. I was just taking a look at Silver Linings Playbook on Vudu HDX and it looked absolutely terrible, suffering from frequent bouts of macro blocking artifacts. Django Unchained looked quite good, never distracting—and shadow areas were much cleaner than Silver Linings. 

djgill likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #8 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark, is it the case of the provider recompressing the master with fast single-pass method? I toyed around with Skyfall and I recompress the extracted data with 10 mbps with "slowest (highest quality), dual-pass". And although it took 600% longer than "fastest, single-pass", the quality is markedly better than Vudu HDX quality.

my home theatre

post #9 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Ps: Vudu HDX quality is only a tad better than "fastest, single-pass" recompression at the same bitrate.

my home theatre

post #10 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Liked: 11
Just to chime in. For those complaining about ISP issues. We can also have severe problems with disks. Lately, nearly every bluray I have gotten from Netflix has had points where they stutter and many have frozen up completely (and I had to get another disk). Though my internet connection may slow, I rarely have a streamed movie shut down completely. It is true, though, that you notice a real difference in picture quality when streaming vs. the disk.
post #11 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Most problem with Netflix discs can be cured just by washing the disc in warm water and a droplet of liquid soap.

my home theatre

post #12 of 98 Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

Just to chime in. For those complaining about ISP issues. We can also have severe problems with disks. Lately, nearly every bluray I have gotten from Netflix has had points where they stutter and many have frozen up completely (and I had to get another disk). Though my internet connection may slow, I rarely have a streamed movie shut down completely. It is true, though, that you notice a real difference in picture quality when streaming vs. the disk.

When it comes to movie rentals, I prefer Vudu HDX. Especially for new release blockbusters, because the 7.1 surround can make a difference. I find using Netflix for Blu-ray discs to be a hassle and I agree that scratches make playback unreliable. Because I pay for premium Internet, streaming never falters. I don't really have an issue with iTunes' HD offerings either.

Both iTunes and Vudu HDX offer a download option in addition to streaming. If the reliability of an Internet connection is in question, downloading the rental from Vudu HDX or iTunes HD is probably the best way to ensure an uninterrupted viewing experience.

post #13 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM

There's an obvious difference in picture and sound quality with blu-ray. I rarely watch movies twice, so $1.50 or so for a Redbox blu-ray is an awesome bargain for me.

One thing I've notice though, is the trend towards "rental discs" being sued with Red Box. These discs lack some of the "extra features" found on retail discs such as uncut versions of films, alternate endings etc. Kind of a bummer.

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
post #14 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad65 View Post

There's an obvious difference in picture and sound quality with blu-ray. I rarely watch movies twice, so $1.50 or so for a Redbox blu-ray is an awesome bargain for me.

One thing I've notice though, is the trend towards "rental discs" being sued with Red Box. These discs lack some of the "extra features" found on retail discs such as uncut versions of films, alternate endings etc. Kind of a bummer.

Rental discs can also lack the uncompressed soundtracks that are one of the main attractions of Blu-ray.

post #15 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Rental discs can also lack the uncompressed soundtracks that are one of the main attractions of Blu-ray.

Interesting. Is there an obvious way to determine this? Every time I pop a disc in, my receiver (usually) notes I'm listening to "Doldby True HD". By definition, does that indicate its uncompressed?

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
post #16 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badchad65 View Post

Interesting. Is there an obvious way to determine this? Every time I pop a disc in, my receiver (usually) notes I'm listening to "Doldby True HD". By definition, does that indicate its uncompressed?

Yes, you got it. If your receiver reports that you are listening to Dolby true HD, then you are listening to lossless sound. Same goes for DTS HD-Master audio. Literally uncompressed audio comes in PCM format—but for all practical purposes, uncompressed and lossless are the same thing quality wise.

post #17 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
For me, it's all about the uncompressed audio! If they ever get to a point where I can enjoy a movie uninterupted by the compression faults,( that will never happen) and how can they offer DTS-MA or DD HD audio? Maybe for some the plain 7.1 dolby is ok, but I invested in an Oppo and the nuforce board,( that I love!), so I look forward to a good soundtrack. Yeras ago it was all about video quality. DTV had s video and I rented all my moveis there. It was better than what I was getting at home. They can't get near the quality now of a BD.
post #18 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Are you aware of the music that is out there also uncompressed? They are putting music on blu ray now and trying to make it a standard. There are about 100 or so titles now, as a new format - Pure Audio is making it's way. Replacing sacd-and dvd audio that special equipment was needed. You must hear the quality of the sound! If you think that BD movie was good, try" Dark Side of the Moon", on BD! a 5.1-stereo, and 4.0 (quad) original version is on it. As is "Wish you were here" now they have come to where you can acsess audio tracks with the color coded buttons on the remote. from 2.0 to 3.1 to 7.1 etc.
see this:
http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/?cat=1

besides what is done, there are more also, a little different but all playable on a blu ray machine, and all high resolution, lossless.
post #19 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

Our streaming quality is o.k. for sitcoms etc., but that's about it. And regarding Netflix; Aside from the occasional, physically, broken disc, I have had extremely good luck with Netflix rentals. I would estimate that less than 1% of the Netflix rentals, I have received, exhibit any kind of audio or video anomalies! Also, I have yet to receive a Netflix rental that doesn't provide me the highest res audio codecs, as I have read from forum members in other threads. So in a few of words; it's "Bluray for me"!

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #20 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

For me, it's all about the uncompressed audio! If they ever get to a point where I can enjoy a movie uninterupted by the compression faults,( that will never happen) and how can they offer DTS-MA or DD HD audio? Maybe for some the plain 7.1 dolby is ok, but I invested in an Oppo and the nuforce board,( that I love!), so I look forward to a good soundtrack. Yeras ago it was all about video quality. DTV had s video and I rented all my moveis there. It was better than what I was getting at home. They can't get near the quality now of a BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

Are you aware of the music that is out there also uncompressed? They are putting music on blu ray now and trying to make it a standard. There are about 100 or so titles now, as a new format - Pure Audio is making it's way. Replacing sacd-and dvd audio that special equipment was needed. You must hear the quality of the sound! If you think that BD movie was good, try" Dark Side of the Moon", on BD! a 5.1-stereo, and 4.0 (quad) original version is on it. As is "Wish you were here" now they have come to where you can acsess audio tracks with the color coded buttons on the remote. from 2.0 to 3.1 to 7.1 etc.
see this:
http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/?cat=1

besides what is done, there are more also, a little different but all playable on a blu ray machine, and all high resolution, lossless.

+1! The audio portion is, for me, of greater importance.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #21 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I agree, Blu-ray does win. It wins every time in terms of ultimate quality. Every comparison that I have done has demonstrated that. The point of these comparisons is to determine the suitability of the online distribution formats for viewing in a home theater environment. I want to know which online distribution format actually looks the best, on a movie-by-movie basis.

In some cases, the quality of the online distribution versions is simply unacceptable. I was just taking a look at Silver Linings Playbook on Vudu HDX and it looked absolutely terrible, suffering from frequent bouts of macro blocking artifacts. Django Unchained looked quite good, never distracting—and shadow areas were much cleaner than Silver Linings. 
I never use vudu just itunes. Fios hd looks like crap compared to bluray
post #22 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
As it ALWAYS has, it (streamed file quality) comes down to providers packaging it for what John Q Public can support, and, contrary to the absurd, grossly-exaggerated, misinformation spread about on a few threads on AVS, it (the average Joe's i-net speed) is woeful when it comes to what's needed for beautiful moving images. See Netlix's results from their 25 million subscribers: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57573824-93/netflix-reveals-the-speeds-of-top-isps-around-the-world/

Let off the charts fiber speeds throw the "average" up all you like, the fact of the matter is, the VAST majority cannot support the bit rates needed for A level image quality so sacrifices are made. And seeing those sacrifice techniques/methodologies seem to vary so widely within the very carriers themselves, title to title, I doubt their will be anything even remotely "final" about who's who in the streaming content provider world anytime soon. Sometimes itunes will be preferred...sometimes vudu. Fill in virtually any provider you like.

Oh... and then the results of a single individual need to operate under the assumption that we ALL get the IDENTICAL feeds from carriers, x, y, or z and that is fantastically presumptuous, at best.

Call it an image quality lottery where- at least- most will win more often than they lose.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #23 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

As it ALWAYS has, it (streamed file quality) comes down to providers packaging it for what John Q Public can support, and, contrary to the absurd, grossly-exaggerated, misinformation spread about on a few threads on AVS, it (the average Joe's i-net speed) is woeful when it comes to what's needed for beautiful moving images. See Netlix's results from their 25 million subscribers: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57573824-93/netflix-reveals-the-speeds-of-top-isps-around-the-world/

Let off the charts fiber speeds throw the "average" up all you like, the fact of the matter is, the VAST majority cannot support the bit rates needed for A level image quality so sacrifices are made. And seeing those sacrifice techniques/methodologies seem to vary so widely within the very carriers themselves, title to title, I doubt their will be anything even remotely "final" about who's who in the streaming content provider world anytime soon. Sometimes itunes will be preferred...sometimes vudu. Fill in virtually any provider you like.

Oh... and then the results of a single individual need to operate under the assumption that we ALL get the IDENTICAL feeds from carriers, x, y, or z and that is fantastically presumptuous, at best.

Call it an image quality lottery where- at least- most will win more often than they lose.

James

* "These ratings reflect the average performance of all Netflix streams on each ISPs network. The average is well below the peak performance due to many factors including the variety of encodes we use to deliver the TV shows and movies we carry as well as home Wi-Fi and the variety of devices our members use." - Netflix

GOOGLE FIBER 3.45Mbps

That Google fiber number tells you everything you need to know. The numbers that Netflix is publishing have nothing to do with the actual broadband speeds at the users are experiencing, because Google Fiber is obviously much faster than the reported speed. It is only reflection of the average speed that is utilized. The explanation Netflix offers is perfectly reasonable.

Both Vudu and iTunes offer the option to download. It is also possible to begin watching iTunes file after it has begun downloading, essentially allowing the user to choose how much buffer they want. Not an option with Netflix, so I would say that service is more dependent on consistent and plentiful bandwidth. iTunes and Vudu, less so. When it comes to image quality, the actual speed of the connection is not directly related to how good a high-quality online delivery format can look.

The quality does vary from service to service, movie to movie. Sometimes it really does get close to Blu-ray, which is why it's interesting to keep an eye on what's happening with online distribution. At some point, a stream will exist that matches or beats Blu-ray in visual quality—even if it is only for the digital "elite" who have superfast Internet connections.eek.gif

post #24 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post

Our streaming quality is o.k. for sitcoms etc., but that's about it. And regarding Netflix; Aside from the occasional, physically, broken disc, I have had extremely good luck with Netflix rentals. I would estimate that less than 1% of the Netflix rentals, I have received, exhibit any kind of audio or video anomalies! Also, I have yet to receive a Netflix rental that doesn't provide me the highest res audio codecs, as I have read from forum members in other threads. So in a few of words; it's "Bluray for me"!

I would say you've been pretty lucky. With both Blockbuster as well as Netflix I have gotten a very large number of badly scratched disks that won't play without problems in any of my BD players even after getting a soap and water bath. People handle them like they are indestructible but they are not.

I thought the interview was quite good.... but I would like to see a roundtable of industry people on the whole "physical media vs streaming" subject that created some really good discussion in the recent thread that was posted on the subject.
post #25 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I my Jacoby Jones baritone voice , BlueRay.
post #26 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM

Will I do use Hulu Plus but steaming isn't my preferred way of watching movies and TV shows one of the reasons I prefer Blockbuster over Netficks. I have stopped many Netficks users form go to their HD video system by telling them about what happened we me with the 150GB AT&T cap over use of Hulu. I will buy TV shows ITunes if there's no DVD or Blu-ray option but I get mostly miusc off ITunes.

By the way Scott I think they have read only BD-XL disks. I do believe newer PS3 games do use BD-XLs and the disks with both 2D and 3D versions on the same disk and same side are also BD-XLs. Bit Torrent tried to go legit buy selling TV shows. movies, music and offing podcast hosting on their site but failed mostly because of what was offered almost nothing form places like Disney, Fox, Discovery Channel, Food Network and National Geographic were offered. In fact No Discovery Channel, Food Network and National Geographic shows stooped me form even trying their online store. In fact wean Hulu picks up The Discovery Channel; COX will be fired.
post #27 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

They can improve streaming all they want but until the ISPs improve their services (speed and reliability) including taking the caps off, it won't make one bit of difference. Also, until the streaming companies come up with a way that I can play the movie as many times as I want, when ever I want, at no additional cost, I'll take my blu ray hard copy.
Ditto.

I don't re-watch movies unless I really like them and that's not too many. If I do I buy the hard copy and take good care of it so it will last and I can watch it as many times as I want. Video and audio quality are of high importance to me. For one-time viewing of popcorn flicks or to preview a movie before a buy I still prefer physical media and have had very good luck with Redbox rentals. All of them have played flawlessly.

About the varying quality of streaming services: So what are you going to do if you stream a movie from one service and get bad quality? Pay again to stream it from a different source for the better quality that still doesn't match a hard disc? ...NUTS...

QUESTION: Does Netflix even offer 5.1 and 7.1 audio on their streams? Last I knew they didn't but that was a while ago and things might have changed.

post #28 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Netflix offer 5.1 and 7.1 sound.

my home theatre

post #29 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post

+1! The audio portion is, for me, of greater importance.

+1
post #30 of 98 Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Yes, Netflix offer 5.1 and 7.1 sound.

In lossy Dolby Digital Plus format. That in and of itself does not mean DVD quality audio either. I've played a few Netflix streamed programs where it said it was DD+, but it still sounded like a badly compressed YouTube video.

Blu-ray FTW.
MilkManX likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Digital Streaming Media Devices