T.H.E. Show Newport with Michael Fremer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 737

Michael Fremer, editor of AnalogPlanet.com and audiophile extraordinaire, talks about the surprising popularity of audio shows around the world, focusing on T.H.E. (The Home Entertainment) Show held last weekend in Newport Beach (actually Irvine), CA. We discuss what we saw and heard at the show, including super-expensive speakers from TAD, Perfect8, and MBL as well as super-inexpensive speakers from Pioneer and everything in between. Also discussed is the problem of hotel-room acoustics, answers to chat-room questions, and much more.

SocialCapital likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Awesome Scott!! I have a dedicated home cinema but I've always wanted a dedicated music listening room with Maggies or MBL speakers, or my dream speakers; JBL Synthesis DD66000's. Oh to dream. Very cool to here you and Mr. Fremer's thoughts on T.H.E. Show. Great stuff! Very glad to hear that good sound is becoming more popular amongst youngsters. Great for the industry.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I turned it off during the discussion about the "special" ethernet cables. No mention of the codecs used on the wireless. No mention of bitrates or file types or anything.

Early in the broadcast there was talk about the younger generations getting involved in Hi-Fi. Talk of special ethernet cables drives people away.

Unless there is signal degradation resulting in dropped packets...The is ZERO reason for "special" ethernet cables. This is why the "audiophiles" are hated. I find myself using the "Hi-Fi" term to separate myself from the audiophiles (audiofools). Digital data is digital data. You cant change the resistance, capacitance, or inductance on a 1 or 0....You arent even talking about digital audio transmission where clock rate might even come into play, but a freakin' network cable?.....GTFO with that crap.

Younger generations...at least, the ones the now have disposable income....They grew up in the digital world, and to be part of the younger generation AND have disposable income means they are most likely educated. They know the difference in capabilities between analog and digital interfaces. Insulting their intelligence with nonsensical BS does not help the "free them from mp3" campaign.

Steven Wiley
post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Those "special Ethernet cables" by Audioquest mentioned in the video use Telegärtner connectors if anyone wants to know. Also I think it is good that younger people are getting into high quality audio, it is a good thing that is happening. I hope it lasts and maybe they will pass it on to their children.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFinWiley View Post

Unless there is signal degradation resulting in dropped packets...The is ZERO reason for "special" ethernet cables. This is why the "audiophiles" are hated. I find myself using the "Hi-Fi" term to separate myself from the audiophiles (audiofools). Digital data is digital data. You cant change the resistance, capacitance, or inductance on a 1 or 0....You arent even talking about digital audio transmission where clock rate might even come into play, but a freakin' network cable?.....GTFO with that crap.
And lest we forget Mr. Fremer's (limited) involvement in the Pear Cables debacle...

post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2013, 04:56 PM

I'm a computer technician and I almost threw up laughing when I heard him talking about ethernet cables. I do believe he heard a difference but it was most likely someone changing a quality setting on the audio stream when nobody was looking.

A better connector than just RJ45 would be welcome however, I have lost count on how many broken network jacks I have replaced. Anybody ever look at Neutrik EtherCON? It's a RJ45 inside a locking connector (housing locks in place like XLR) so you can use either a EtherCON cable or a standard RJ45. Best of all, the jacks and sockets only cost like $10.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/ethercon/
post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM

This Micheal Fremer guy was part of a video featured on Howard Stern a few weeks ago... this is hilarious, definitely worth checking out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ItH_p_bO0
post #8 of 9 Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFinWiley View Post

Younger generations...at least, the ones the now have disposable income....They grew up in the digital world, and to be part of the younger generation AND have disposable income means they are most likely educated. They know the difference in capabilities between analog and digital interfaces. Insulting their intelligence with nonsensical BS does not help the "free them from mp3" campaign.

Steven Wiley

Well said. I'm 100% guilty of everything in this post. I am a young, educated individial with disposable income and I have a better understand of analog/digital than most (EE degree). Not to pat myself on the back here, but just to be honest. My first experience with hi-fi was when I was less educated and quite naive about audio in general. Sad to say, I ended up at head-fi, which has basically turned me off from hi-fi in a big way. Building a home theater is my first time back to audio in at least 4 or 5 years and its still hard to get that bad taste out of my mouth when looking at some of these products. As a whole, this website seems much more interested in solving real problems than imaginary ones, which is a nice change from what I am using to.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

Well said. I'm 100% guilty of everything in this post. I am a young, educated individial with disposable income and I have a better understand of analog/digital than most (EE degree). Not to pat myself on the back here, but just to be honest. My first experience with hi-fi was when I was less educated and quite naive about audio in general. Sad to say, I ended up at head-fi, which has basically turned me off from hi-fi in a big way. Building a home theater is my first time back to audio in at least 4 or 5 years and its still hard to get that bad taste out of my mouth when looking at some of these products. As a whole, this website seems much more interested in solving real problems than imaginary ones, which is a nice change from what I am using to.

Age has nothing to do with naivete. I rejected audiophile pseudo-science over 20 years ago, after spending many, many hours listening to the "top" solid-state systems of that era, Krell and Mark Levinson... and seemingly nothing has changed in all that time. Expensive tweaker "solutions" still amount to wickedly overpriced cables and grossly overpriced knickknacks.

My jaw dropped when I learned that some companies are selling "audiophile" USB and Ethernet cables, and claiming audible improvements. It's ridiculous.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page