All About Chromecast with Barb Gonzalez and Mark Henninger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 733

Barb Gonzalez, aka the Simple Tech Guru, and Mark Henninger, AVS Forum Newsbreaker, discuss their experience with Google's Chromecast media streamer, including what it is and what it does, what streaming outlets are available, how it differs from other media streamers and from Google TV, the difference between using it with iOS, Android, and computers running the Chrome browser, what they would like to see added to it in the future, how well it works in terms of stream reliability and AV quality, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 149
There's over 15 million appletv's installed in the US, 5+ million Rokus and god knows how many other STSB's. All this, never mind "smart tvs" with more and more content built right into the set. Let's see if we're still talking about this thing in 12 months. The price point is wonderful, but the fact that it's a droopy-eyed, armless child when it comes to ios devices (and other avenues) is not a little problem, but an 800lb pink gorilla.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #3 of 4 Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

There's over 15 million appletv's installed in the US, 5+ million Rokus and god knows how many other STSB's. All this, never mind "smart tvs" with more and more content built right into the set. Let's see if we're still talking about this thing in 12 months. The price point is wonderful, but the fact that it's a droopy-eyed, armless child when it comes to ios devices (and other avenues) is not a little problem, but an 800lb pink gorilla.

James

Sure, but the fuscia elephant in the room was the lack of an iTunes-type ecosystem for Android users. Since getting my Chromecast, I've already switched from renting movies from iTunes to renting from Google Play. My Samsung Galaxy S4 is so good, not only do I not miss the iPhone, I have become annoyed with my iPad. I prefer Google's interface design and I'm confident this is platform that will bring Google to numerical parity with Apple, when it comes to the total number of installed content streaming devices.

Also, how long before Google gives away a Chromecast with every Motorola Android phone and Nexus tablet they sell? There's more ways than one to peel an Apple.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got my Chromecast today. I thought I'd spend a few hours setting it up and playing with it. It was set up in 5 minutes and I checked out all it's features in 10. I can't give it a thumbs up, but I can't give it a thumbs down either. It's an evolution though right? I wish it was in the hands of more developers because the side effect of it's scarcity is another reason why this thing is so, hmm? Lame? I'm already past the point of saying "But it was $35". Let's stop saying that. It will get better with time but there will be a better version of this or something like this in a few months.
I should also mention that I'm a Mac and PC guy with and Apple tv 2, Boxee and XBMC. I know what the experience should be like. You can't compare them. It's not an Apple TV killer but the idea could be. Whoever does it first wins. Until someone does it better.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page