Acoustics 102 with Anthony Grimani - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #31 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
This might not be the thread for this, but reguarding what Anthony said about MTM configuration (Midrange, tweeter, midrange) not being a good setup for center channels and avoiding it at all costs, does that include center channels with all types of tweeters (horn, dome, ribbon)?

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Hey Scott, enjoyed your interview with Anthony. Any plans to have another show on calibration, perhaps you can show us how you calibrated your home theater?
post #33 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
One thing he said that bothered me is that he talked about the inability for automatic room correction systems to correct for multipath reflections. While I agree with a very narrow interpretation of what he said (equalization cannot compensate for multipath reflections), Audyssey MultEQ is not only an equalization solution, but a time-domain solution as well. The fact that he didn't acknowledge that makes me think he might not be fully knowledgeable on room correction systems like Audyssey.
post #34 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What I believe he is referring to is their inability to actually fix the problem of multipathing. Room correction such as that you mentioned only mask the problem by attempting to fix it at a few locations in the room. There is another webcast of Scotts here he interviews the designer of the old Hales company, I think he works for "Pro Tech" or something like that now, he does a great job of explaining the problems with room correction.
post #35 of 37 Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really enjoyed these two episodes. Great work!

I have two questions on the topics.

One question is about covering acoustics panels with fabrics. Most fabrics, for instance velvets, are usually not specified as being acoustically transparent. If you hold such fabrics over a sound source you will hear that they have very little dampening (perhaps a little bit in the very high frequencies, but no effect at all on lower frequencies). Let say you cover broad band absorbers with velvet that is not specified as being AT. I don't think it matters much if the absorption happens in the cover fabric or in the absorber panel. This begs the question if there is any point in using AT-fabrics for covering absorbers? I guess there might be a very slight effect when using non-AT fabric for covering diffusers (causing slight high frequency roll-off), although I think the effect might be almost negligible. So why is "everyone" so obsessed with using acoustically transparent cloth on acoustic treatments? Is this just a myth or has anyone actually tested it (scientifically)?

I am of course speaking about fabrics that are reasonably thin, not thick carpet-like or waterproof materials.

There was also a listener question in one of the episodes (I do not remember if it was episode 1 or 2) about baffle walls in home theaters. It seemed Anthony Grimani and Scott Wilkinson did not understand the question. This surprised me a little bit because I would have guessed that the question was about the use of THX baffle walls in an home theater environment. My guess is that Anthony Grimani actually knows a lot about baffle walls from his previous experience. I am a bit surprised it was not touched upon or mentioned at all. What do you guys think the reason behind this is? One would think that Anthony would have mentioned it if he meant it was important for acoustics in home theaters...

Perhaps anyone would like to comment?
post #36 of 37 Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Scott;
Kudos to both you and Anthony for another great show,
This 102 and the other 101, I've added both URL's to my acoustic bookmarks, when I see a thread where people ask some Q's I'll add the link to it.
post #37 of 37 Unread Today, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When you use 2 or 4 subs in a room, do they all need to be the same? I have a single SVS PB-13 Ultra right now in a 12'x12' room. However it is no way I will get a second one up to that room as the two poor guys from the removals company that got it up the stairs nearly killed themselves in the process.

So could I have one large and then either one or three smaller subs and still get rid of the room modes by placing them as Mr Grimmani suggested? Worst case scenario I guess I could get a PC-13 Ultra up the stairs.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with XBMC | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion)
1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra
Current HT | New HT build coming soon.
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page