The Projectionist's Perspective with Thomas Larsen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-17-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1192

Thomas Larsen, head projectionist at the TCL (formerly Grauman's, then Mann's) Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA, talks about the changing—and in some ways disappearing—role of the projectionist, the transition from film to digital projection, DLP vs. LCoS, 2K vs. 4K, the delivery of movie DCPs (digital-cinema packages) to theaters on a hard-disk drive, the conversion of the Chinese Theatre to Imax, high frame rate, lamps vs. lasers, Dolby Atmos, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

GeorgeAB likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks for a great episode Scott, brought back many memories of when I was a Manager/Projectionist in the 80's
hauling film cans up flights of stairs so i could splice them together.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Really great episode, one of my favorites. My Grandfather was a projectionist from the mid 70s to the early 90s. They had to make him retire, unfortunate for me, he lived in a different city. But when ever I visited I would sit up there with him admiring the equipment. Now that I am really getting into home projectors I long to talk to him about the new technology, he always had cutting edge equipment at home and was a total Trekkie, as am I. Well keep up the great work. smile.gif

James Reid:D
post #4 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133

Very interesting! My father was a projectionist before he had any children and, like your guest, seldom watched a feature that he was projecting; if he was watching the screen at all, it was for focus or waiting for the change-reels flash (which you can still see on some DVDs of older movies).

As far as the percent of theaters that have converted to digital, I wouldn't be surprised if a higher percentage of theaters had converted to digital than he thought. For example, my "local" $3/seat theater, which doesn't seem to have all that much cash flow, has a digital projector for each of its screens. Before the conversion, that theater's films commonly had lots of scratches, so you could tell that the film had already seen the first-run and second-run circuits and was finally showing on their screens just before the DVD releases. But about the time they got their first digital projector, something happened that cut my theater visits to almost zero: I got a big screen (46-in) HD TV, and I haven't made it to that theater since. But maybe if there is a good 3D movie (they have 3D showings now).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An example of theater light specs from Pixar for Monster's University in 3D.
Image Brightness: 6fL peak white, maximum 7fL, minimum 4.5fL
http://projection.pixar.com/3D/
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks Scott totally enjoyed this episode very informative!!!!!!!
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts