NAB 2014 Wrapup with Michael Heiss and Chris Armbrust - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 959

Just back from the 2014 NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) convention, industry consultants Michael Heiss, Chris Armbrust, and I talk about what we saw and heard there and how it could affect the content delivered to consumers, including the state of Ultra HD standardization, high dynamic range, wide color gamuts, Internet and over-the-air delivery, HEVC encoding, bitrate reduction, laser projectors, flat panels, immersive audio, Red's new 6K camera, NHK's 8K demos, answers to chat-room questions, and more.

HockeyoAJB likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Future battle will be HEVC vs VP9, watch that space
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkojokinen View Post

Future battle will be HEVC vs VP9, watch that space

I saw absolutely nothing about VP9 at NAB. Everyone was talking about HEVC.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 58
When the gentelman made the comments about the BDA, seems that data and storage doesn't seem to be much of an issue with UHD . However to me it seems like the rest of the "specs" are not even close to being decided on and that it could take a while still possibly years. It's easy as PIE BDA, Rec2020, 422, 12bit, 60fps for all the resolutions.

I really hope that they don't keep Rec 709, 4 2 0, 30fps and 8 bit for UHD blu-ray or whatever they end up calling it , this would defeat the point of having "better pixels" over "more pixels". I am a little concerned about the phases this might also dictate where UHD bluray is headed depending when it's released the spec anyway. It's a tuff situation for sure because there is also the concern of the content makers, display manufacturers, etc.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Great show Scott. I think you have accumulated quite a bit of knowledge re 4K at this point and you appeared to not really need the help of your guests.

Your guests indeed made a few errors. Most noticeably the fact that broadcast HD at 720p is 60, not 30, and while 1080i is at 30, when deinterlaced for our 1080p displays, the rate becomes 60 too, does it not?

I am looking very much to your show with Y Faroudja. I met him many many years ago at a CES and spent hours with him on the show floor and listening to him talk about how easy it was to go to line quadrupling from line doubling and how only a little more computer power was necessary for the doubling but that immense power was needed to process and recoup the sharpness that would otherwise be lost. Be sure to acknowledge that he was the recipient of an Academy award about 10 years back for his technical contributions to the film industry. A great man and a true gentleman.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 15 Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Scott: Thanks for another interesting show!

As an OTA guy, I'm particularly interested in ATSC 2 and ATSC 3. While all the ideas about more resolution, bit depth, frame rate are well and good. In my opinion, by far the most important improvement that ATSC 3 can make is EASY, RELIABLE RECEPTION in a wide variety of situations - indoor in urban highrises, mobile, etc. Basing reception on an external antenna at 10 meters is not good enough.

Then there's the "minor" matter of transitioning broadcasting to an incompatible system.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So basically this interview said to me dont buy a UHD/4K TV until 2016... smile.gif

post #8 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I would wait till 2018.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

So basically this interview said to me dont buy a UHD/4K TV until 2016... smile.gif

Yep, I've been saying this all along...

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #10 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I would wait till 2018.

The technology should be quite mature by then. And it's only four years away...

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #11 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

Scott: Thanks for another interesting show!

As an OTA guy, I'm particularly interested in ATSC 2 and ATSC 3. While all the ideas about more resolution, bit depth, frame rate are well and good. In my opinion, by far the most important improvement that ATSC 3 can make is EASY, RELIABLE RECEPTION in a wide variety of situations - indoor in urban highrises, mobile, etc. Basing reception on an external antenna at 10 meters is not good enough.

Then there's the "minor" matter of transitioning broadcasting to an incompatible system.

And the transition won't have the luxury of overlapping with the previous system as the transition from analog to digital did; most of the spectrum used for that overlap has now been sold, so it's not available to do something similar this time.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #12 of 15 Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
I am looking very much to your show with Y Faroudja. I met him many many years ago at a CES and spent hours with him on the show floor and listening to him talk about how easy it was to go to line quadrupling from line doubling and how only a little more computer power was necessary for the doubling but that immense power was needed to process and recoup the sharpness that would otherwise be lost. Be sure to acknowledge that he was the recipient of an Academy award about 10 years back for his technical contributions to the film industry. A great man and a true gentleman.

I just confirmed that Yves Faroudja will be the guest on Home Theater Geeks on Thursday, April 24, 2014. You can watch live at live.twit.tv from 2:30 to 3:30 PM Pacific time and join the chat room there or at irc.twit.tv, where you can post questions for him. Should be an amazing interview!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #13 of 15 Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I will be on the road driving to a home theater meet (a CRT stack) jusy outside of Chicago and the high end audio show in Chicago that weekend. but I will catch it on replay the next week.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #14 of 15 Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Man I wish I could go to Joe's house, sounds like AV heaven.

It's been said plenty of times before but I'll say it again, UHD NEEDS to be more than just higher resolution. In my opinion, every manufacturer should take the same route that Vizio took with their Reference series. Vizio threw in Dolby HDR, a 10 bit panel (with support for 70% of Rec.2020) and UHD resolution. There is currently no content (that I know of) to take advantage of HDR or Rec.2020 and there is very little content in UHD resolution but when this content comes, the Vizio Reference will be able to handle it.

Samsung, Sony and the rest should do the same. The content isn't here yet but still give us the ability to display the content when it does come (without having to spend $3000+ on a new TV). 70% of Rec.2020 is better than being stuck with a Rec.709 panel.

As for content, Blu-Ray needs to stop talking and start doing. These companies from BDA sold us the TVs now they need to give us something to watch on it other than up-scaled 1080p.
Scott Wilkinson likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I guess I am a official geek now that I watched the whole video. Great job Scott
Things are changing fast and the question I have, is it safe to buy a 10 bit panel 4k? After seeing the video I would not buy a 8 bit 4K panel TV.
If Samsung 4K panels are not 10 bit then even with their out box being updated it would be useless without a 10 bit panel in 2016.
Right or wrong?
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Tags
Nab 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page