4Likes

post #31 of 32 Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
As one of the few who have actually spent time installing a LOT of speakers, I am beyond disappointed if all they can come up with is this bounce off the ceiling business.

Obviously this is another stop-gap just like dolby-pro-logic was back in the day. Clearly the issues are affordability for most home users, the feasibility for most people to put speakers in the ceiling, and the ability to put the home codec onto blu-ray effectively.

I was hoping for at least ONE manufacturer to come out with a system that is scalable to 16 to 24 speakers placed WHEREVER you want them... Anything else is simply nonsense and should NOT bear the Atmos name. Honestly this doesn't require any technical expertise that Dolby doesn't already have. If they ride the coat-tails of their theater product and damage the brand name, will they achieve anything? Perhaps Dolby just needs to stay afloat until the industry and the customer have matured sufficiently to do "True Atmos"?

Dolby's website is crap and doesn't reveal ANYTHING of use in terms of their future time table.

There is not a single atmos receiver product release thus far that looks compelling at this point to move away from my existing DTS NeoX setup. This is from a guy that now has 19 channels available and 4 subwoofers. If atmos can't cater to people capable of a lot of channels... then WHAT IS THE POINT?

Are these companies simply trying to stay relevant in an increasingly commoditized world of surround protocols?

I would love to hear some reply's from folks that simply love the new Atmos announcements and are planning on "up-firing bouncing" speakers and a crippled Pseudo-Atmos followed by Dolby TrueAtmos at "some point in the future".
If you do a Google search there will be a product coming out later this year called Altitude (can't remember vendor's name) that will be up to 32 channels but it will be a high end product (I.e $20,000 plus probably for the processor).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does this mean that to get the use from my existing setup for heights then is to turn my two heights pointing to the ceiling for 5.1.2 or do I need to buy the atmos speakers?

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
Reply AVS Forum Podcasts

Tags
frontpage , Home Theater Geeks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page